Tsw Hud Concept [fictional]

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Delta_Who, Jul 23, 2020.

1. Delta_Who

Delta_Who Well-Known Member

I saw a few negative comments about the HUD on discord and on stream recently, and thought I would have a crack at it myself.

UI-Idea.png

TSW HUD
    [​IMG]

To me, there appears to be a few set of problems with the new HUD

1. Data is shown all around the screen so it's harder to keep track of everything. Therefore everything is now kept to the bottom
    2. Elements need to be grouped so that users can toggle them on/off e.g. being able to see timetable only 3. Elements take up far too much space. DTG spends too much time making roundals and icons, when a simple bar and text is more compact and stackable. The text position on mine is debateable, but there are easier ways to convey information.
    4. Multiple fonts is a big no-no. Far too confusing and harder to read. Sticking to one font but playing with the weights allows users to easily identify key information
    5. Keep things as central or horizontally aligned as possible
    6. Try to keep elements as focused on the sim as possible. In TSW classic, the blended gradient elements worked best as a transition to the main screen-space. So a gradient is applied from bottom to top to provide contrast and lead into the sim, without feeling invasive.

Just a bit of fun and constructive criticism :) Keep comments positive please (yes I know I've been a proponent critic of DTG). [And pls add "Give up service" button]

• Like Like x 7
  2. DTG Protagonist

DTG Protagonist Has left the building Staff Member

This is a constructive idea, keep it up. Let's be clear however, the HUD that is being shown right now is the one that's coming, don't expect any changes. That doesn't mean to say that ideas for the UI/HUD are wasted, just that expecting any changes at this point will end in disappointment.

• Like Like x 8
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. Delta_Who

I thought as much, and I wouldn't expect otherwise. Just maybe a consideration for the future! Ty!

4. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

Thanks for making a design and sharing it so we can comment on it.

I think it looks pretty good, but at the same time it has a couple problems (IMHO). First, you will need to add the safety system data (AWS, DSD, PZB, etc), so that HUD would need to grow a bit more (probably on the right side). Second, keep in mind that your concept example HUD is made in a dark cab. If it was a sunny summer day it would be pretty much unreadable (might be even more unreadable in an external view). To fix that you would need a dark background, which I guess is the reason why DTG's HUD has it.

Again, thanks for sharing. IMHO the design has those flaws but looks good in general. The part I like the most of your design is that I don't need to look around all over the screen to find the data about the next signals and speed limits.

DTG could improve their own design just by moving those 2 boxes to the top right of the bottom right speed indicator (or placing the signal indicator on the top left of the speed indicator and the speed limit one on the top right). This might not take as much work as other kind of changes to the UI (this is just moving something that is already done) and be a quite big usability improvement.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
  5. fanta1682002

fanta1682002 Well-Known Member

new tsw2 hud is very good

6. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

You idea looks good. There also is something like an PI on its way. Maybe that opens possibilities to create your own HUD overlay (though it requires a lot of programming skills to create it). I may want to give it a try if it becomes a serious option. I think what it exactly looks like can be improved, but I like the setup. Till now I have never seen really good interface designs from DTG unfortunately, though for TSW2 I see a clear improvement already.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Delta_Who

Cheers for the comment. Would just clarify that there is a background gradient to provide contrast against the ui elements. Also not going super deep into it, just showing how simplified a UI could look like.

• Like Like x 1
  8. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

We just need the distance to the next stop. Adding it’s name just adds clutter.

9. davidh0501

I do like your redesigned Hud the planned one is far too fussy.
    Well done.

10. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Having the HUD in a central position covers the important instrument panel elements (centrally placed in most trains) if you like to have your camera levelled to see more of the outside view. Your central speedometer would cover the ATC display in the M7 on LIRR for instance unless you had your camera pointing significantly downwards. This is the reason the real HUD is not central. As well as having the HUD there for reference, it’s preferable to be able to see the train’s own dials etc. For players who operate the train by using a mouse on the train’s levers, they would have to tilt the camera much further down to see them clearly.

I do like the way your numbers and words are clearly readable though, using a nice clear font, and not using unnecessary segmented numbers. It’s much better than the official one, easier to see the information you need, and much more pleasing to my eye. The graphic design element to your display is excellent, with the different colours for the power bars etc. It’s not trying to be too stylish, which is a good thing when the information it conveys is the most important element.

• Like Like x 1
  11. 7orenz

7orenz Well-Known Member

From Train Sim World 2 to Hud Sim Train 2. Do you know what I mean?

Too invasive Hud put the game in a second plan. it will be a good design+colours for Wipeout or some futuristic game, not too indicated for a train simulator (IMHO).

12. davidh0501

Placement of the Hud is an interesting question.
    Planes have the Hud centre screen.
    When I'm driving the car I look straight ahead and rarely glance down where the essential information is central on the dashboard.
    When in Train sim I stare straight ahead and use the Hud rather than any of the in cab dials.
    Indeed my preferred driving view is the enlarged one.
    I suspect real Train drivers watch the view ahead and glance down rarely as they know the major controls by muscle memory.
    The aim of a Hud is to provide basic information with the minimal eye movement, so the existing one in TSW is a compromise of sorts.

Also do we need two brake dials? Light loco and train brake could use the same position.

13. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

It looks nice, although I think I prefer DTG's less cluttered design.

• Like Like x 1
  14. davidh0501

DTG's is more cluttered.
    The HUD is for when the train is in motion.
    If it's static we have time to look down.
    So reverser icon is superfluous. So is the train icon on the inclinometer.

The more I look at the new one the more it annoys me :(

15. andref.maccarini

andref.maccarini Member

Imagine being able to download HUD mods from Steam Workshop. Problem solved and everyone wins.

16. Ian1991

Ian1991 Well-Known Member

Sam, I seen the news about console controls being updated so now you can open/close doors without a popup menu if they wish.......Will this be the same for PC users as it didnt specify? It just said PC users will have the option of keyboard or mouse......but mainly for me can we open/close doors without the drop down menu? thanks

• Like Like x 1