What Happened To The Stanier Tank?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by theorganist, Jul 23, 2020.

1. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

This could be the title of a 50's whodunnit starring Joan Hickson as a elderly spinster driving around various motive power depots in her Morris 8 saloon looking for a missing tank engine and finding which shed foreperson has abducted it, has it been broken up for spares or secretly shipped to the Western Region to prove the midland built better engines? Not a notion I hold by the way as we all know west is best!

However, it is the sad tale of a very useful engine, built by Meshtools which even appeared in a DTG "coming soon" type article, from which many assumed meant that release was but a couple of weeks away. Then nothing, no more mention of it and no appearance.

Being serious, is anyone from DTG able to give a hint as to whether it will be ever released as it would fill a big hole in the available steam traction, I cannot understand why something so close to release was suddenly shelved? They weren't just used on the midland region, some appeared on the southern and parts of the western and probably the Scottish region too. They would be suitable for a couple of the payware routes we have and also several freeware routes where they operated so I am sure it would be a popular release and would complement the newly announced SSS/VW/SHG Ivatt tank.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  2. TimeSlicedDanny

TimeSlicedDanny Active Member

Meshtools have gone very quiet and I wonder if something has happened to make them give up developing.

3. theorganist

I messaged them on Facebook some time ago and didn't get a reply, unless they are fed up of people asking about it.

I fear you might be right but wasn't it a guy called Edward and I am sure he has had a hand in some recent DLC?

I love the stuff he/they has produced so far so hopefully he hasn't.

The point is that the Stanier tank must have been almost ready for release if they produced an article for it announcing its impending arrival so I wonder why they pulled it!

4. theorganist

I have just looked on their Facebook page and there was a post in March and it looks like it was pulled but for personal reason and he has been doing some more work on it, so hopefully all is not lost.