Is The Forums A Great Place Or Is It A Toxic Waste Land

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by KyleL, Jul 21, 2020.

?
  1. It's maybe the most toxic forum ever

1 vote(s)
    3.6%
  2. It's a nice community with nice people

10 vote(s)
    35.7%
  3. It's both really

17 vote(s)
    60.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KyleL

KyleL Well-Known Member

So if you have asked in a stream you want this train or route some mods have relocated you to this place to suggest a route or train. If you were lucky enough DTG would add the train in a year due to licensing & researching they would add the train.But if you are a veteran of this forum you have been here since 2016 or you recently wanted too discuss a topic.But from what I see people are just arguing over some stupid train bug or accusing them of something.But there's a side of the forums that actually are civilized people talking about trains & aren't arguing but my point is 1)how did you find these forums 2)If you could describe them in 1 word what is it 3)how long have you been on these forums 4) what is the most ridiculous interaction you have had & don't name anyone & for gods sake don't fight in this thread

Last edited: Jul 21, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  2. LiquidShadows

LiquidShadows Well-Known Member

I think you've hit the nail on the head. While many people on here are kind, considerate, and helpful, too many people are also whiny, condescending, and passive-aggressive. I totally get people being frustrated with constant bugs or misleading advertisements, but I don't see how anyone being disrespectful and snarky helps anything. I actually did a post about a year ago on this same topic.

• Like Like x 1
  3. KyleL

KyleL Well-Known Member

I just find it very weird that some people act like it's a cod forum but all forums are toxic anyway but still this is a train sim forum.Seems like a lot of people have posted talking about this toxicity

4. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

I am actually surprised at how aggressive it can be for a forum to talk about a train simulator.

5. KyleL

KyleL Well-Known Member

I mean TSxx & TSWx aren't even competitive games so I don't understand this

• Like Like x 1
  6. fanta1682002

fanta1682002 Well-Known Member

yes i see

7. Plastic Pal

Plastic Pal Well-Known Member

I have been in hundreds of forums, chat rooms and virtual spaces.... for over 25 years - and this Forum is probably the nicest that I have ever been in. It's tame, compared to nearly everything else out there. I do sometimes wonder if a "Moms Group" would be tamer... but from what I have heard.... they are some of the most vicious you can possibly imagine. Mums talking about how to raise kids = nuclear war.

There are reasons why people enter into conflict on this Forum, and I am going to suggest the following:

1. When you "upgrade" from a console to a PC, some people feel like they have a "superior" bit of kit (never happened to me, I had a PC first). I own multiple PCs and multiple consoles - so I find the platform war quite perplexing. NB: Console owners are not kids, or in any way inferior.

2. Many people that enjoy TSW as a great looking game have no idea how good TS1 is as a simulator (that included me initially). Many TS1 players can't understand that TSW as a game/simulator is actually really nice to play, even if the simulation (so far) is relatively poor.

3. Everyone here loves DTG's train products, but some people want DTG to do better (because the hobby is very expensive), and others can't understand what could possibly be wrong (especially if money is no object).

4. Some people are in the Forum purely to make money by selling goods for TS1 - those that hoped to make a small fortune out of TSW were therefore bitterly disappointed about a lack of Editor (as well as everyone else who wanted to get creative without making a profit).

5. More generally - quite a lot of people do not understand what a Forum is for - which is to discuss topics and share information and opinions, and learn from each other's different perspectives. I am not a psychologist, but I think that some people can't understand the simple point that another person can hold a different point of view on any subject, without being an enemy..... - there is no need to feel offended or threatened by the existence of an opposing argument, or different ideas.

None of the above points of conflict are necessary.

But to answer your question - these Forums really are a great place, populated with some of the nicest people you can imagine, from all across the globe (or flattened disc, if you don't believe in that "globe" stuff.....). These very nice people almost always have a great deal of knowledge about the things we all love - trains. And the others, with less knowledge (like me), are enthusiastic to learn. So the potential is always there to see a great deal of altruism, kindness and friendship build between people.

And this more positive aspect is reflected in 99% of the interactions on the Forum. It's just that the 1% of difficult ineractions stick out.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2020
    • Like Like x 5
  8. LucasLCC

LucasLCC Well-Known Member

I'll agree with Plastic Pal. This server is really tame compared to a lot of other games out there. Just read the Wargaming forum for example...

I think point 5 is an important one. There's a few users that take criticism of DTG personally. Most of the complaints on here are because people want a better game, not because the complainer is being nasty. Everyone has a different tolerance of what is acceptable for them. I certainly wouldn't put someone down because they think the game is perfect.

• Like Like x 5
  9. Tay95

Tay95 Well-Known Member

Exactly. It's a game forum, calm down all! From my experience I haven't had any issues with anyone.

• Like Like x 1
  10. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

Point 1 is where I have had most trouble. Doesn't matter what level you are, it seems you are never qualified to play train simulators if you are on console in quite a few peoples minds

11. TheCadManFan

TheCadManFan Well-Known Member

I'm a semi-regular here at best, my presense here is tied to where my interest in the game is, whether I have encountered a bug that still hasn't been fixed, and I decide to back away for a few weeks. But from what I have seen here, this is a generally friendly forum, that has attracted the odd troll (like any public forum, it is bound to attact trolls). But if you think this forum is toxic (now there is a word that is being overused), then you really haven't been to that many forums. There are some really brutally toxic corners of the internet.

What is the worst that could happen here? The pc master race lord it up over console peasants (i'm a console player btw). Look up Elliot Rodger and some of the forums he used to frequent, but proceed at your own caution!!!

12. longo239

longo239 Well-Known Member

If DTG are to be believed, which judging by the tone of your post, you are one of those who do believe everything they say, those "whiny" people are the reason you can or soon will be able to use your "preserved collection" in the forthcoming scenario planner.

If it wasn't for those "whiny" people there would be no "listening to the community" because the community wouldn't be saying anything. They would just accept everything that DTG was giving them no matter what.

• Like Like x 3
  13. LiquidShadows

There's a difference between a community requesting something versus those who are never satisfied with anything; I was speaking of the latter. No need to get defensive, bud. If the shoe doesn't fit, don't wear it.

14. longo239

Who's getting defensive? It wasn't just because of a polite community request DTG did a U-turn on the "incompatible" DLC's of the "preserved collection" being added to the scenario planner. It was because a large part of the community voiced their unhappiness. If it had been left to you and the other non binary identifying enthusiasts, ALL of your TSW2020 stuff would most likely have been resigned to the waste bin, not just NEC, the Amtrak switcher and the GP40.

Also, I don't believe we have met or know each other personally, so I would appreciate not being addressed as bud, youth, pal or mate.

15. LiquidShadows

Do you not see the irony in asking "who's getting defensive" while simultaneously going off on a tangent, calling me and other forum members "non-binary" as some kind of insult? I think you just answered your own question.

16. longo239

As opposed to calling forum members "whiny, condescending and passive-aggressive"?

17. LiquidShadows

I made a general statement about peoples behavior that wasn't targeted at anybody, whereas you made a direct attempt to insult. YOU'RE the one that took my post personally, so what does that say about you?

18. longo239

Never took it personally, purely offered a different opinion to that of yours. You want to be a Fanboy (or non binary identifying enthusiast) and I will carry on being whiny when I believe it's necessary.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
  19. LiquidShadows

Hahaha! Okay.

20. DTG Protagonist

DTG Protagonist Has left the building Staff Member

We're done here, and in a break from the norm I'll leave the thread intact because it splendidly demonstrates where a poor atmosphere originates.

As soon as you waggle a finger at a user or group of users who see things differently you invite them to retaliate. You then can't help yourself and snipe straight back again. The circle of crud, in a nutshell.

Incidentally, these forums are very very mild, and largely a joy to work with. Everyone posting significantly cares about the game , whether they're critical about it or positive and that's a really good place to start.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
    • Like Like x 5
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.