Ts2020 Running (too) Slow On Ryzen 3

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by marcl, Jul 25, 2020.

1. marcl

marcl New Member

Hi fello TS2020 players,

Recently I bought a new computer with Windows10, and a MSI B450M PRO-M2MAX motherboard with a Ryzen 3 3200G processor and 16GB RAM. TS2020 perfoms poor on that. I even installed my old AMD Radeon RX560 graphics card of my old pc in this new pc. Performance improved a bit, but still poor. The RX560 had 4GB mem on board. fps max 30 but on some routes (Dutch routes) fps goes below 10 fps... Bad.
    Now I am thinking of upgrading. Would it make sense to replace the processor with a Ryzen 7 8 core processor? Or is it better to buy a new better performing graphics card? I have read that TS2020 does not use the multi cores of the processor. Both Ryzen 3 and Ryzen 7 have 3.6GHz clockspeed.
    Hope you can give me some advice.

Marc

2. dunkrez

dunkrez Well-Known Member

3. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

I'm very happy with the way my a second generation Ryzen 5 based system runs TS. It has two more cores than your Ryzen 3 of course but as you note yourself TS's venerable game engine, which was originally developed to run on Charles Babbage's Difference Engine, doesn't make good use of multi-core CPUs so I doubt that's the issue. There are other questions that could be asked like how fast your RAM and storage is but I suspect the big difference is that I have a GTX1660Ti. The frame-rate can still drop when things get busy because, as with the CPU, TS does not make the best use of newer GPUs but it's still the case that (at least up to a point) the better the GPU the better the results.

• Like Like x 1
  4. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

:D :D :D

5. Peter Hayes

Peter Hayes Well-Known Member

Ts2020 is certainly not true multicore but it has been multicore capable since 2012/2013 so a multicore processor certainly helps. Try running it on a single core (via set affinity mask in task manager) and see what sort of performance you get then!

If you were using onboard graphics then you would expect poor performance and the AMD card you used may not help much either. Your graphics card driver plays an important role in performance wrt TS20XX. You also need to make sure you are definitely using the discrete card and not the onboard graphics for best performance. I suggest at least a GTX1660Ti ( RTX 2060) for that cpu for reasonable performance.

Your motherboard is good but basic and an update to an X-series might help. Personally I don't like micro-ATX boards, for me, they tend to run hotter than a full-size board, and components are harder to fit.

As JJT says – what RAM speed do you have? That board supports high speed RAM up to 3400 I believe. Before updating the processor, I would be looking at increasing the RAM (matched) to 32G before anything else.

Are you using the M2 turbo socket for at least a 1TB SSD – if TS is installed on that – it could help with loading times and in game stutters.

What monitor are you using and at what resolution – that will definitely affect performance.

Make sure your PSU is rated enough to run your setup – if it is not adequate performance could suffer.

Good Luck

6. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

I forgot about that even though it affected my old laptop... although the OP did mention that adding the graphics card did make some noticeable difference so there's my excuse. Yes- this issue arose with the introduction of the 64 bit .exe and mostly bothered NVidea users although my laptop (RIP) had an AMD Radeon GPU.

7. marcl

marcl New Member

I have DDR4 2226Mhz 16GB RAM. And a 1TB SSD drive. So first I might buy a new faster grahpics card and see what that brings. Tanks so far.
    Marc