Br Class 08 On West Somerset,won't Move Unless You...

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by SHINO BAZ, Aug 1, 2020.

1. SHINO BAZ

SHINO BAZ Well-Known Member

When i try to use the br class 08 on WS it won't move until i do 1 thing not mentioned in either br class 08 tutorial,theres a switch box on the back wall of the cab,inside a switch you need to use,after you do then the br class 08 will move even if you do all the other steps,it won't move unless you use this switch as well,so is this right?it did work but i only found it by poking around the cab,why would dtg not tell you something like this,this isn't a nessasary step on ntp or tvl so why is it on ws?

2. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

The brake selection switch? It has been mentioned a fair bit on the forums

3. SHINO BAZ

There's a box with a door that opens on the rear cabs wall it called a (series and parallel switch),this switch must be moved from down to up to move this loco on ws.

Series = heavy pulls
    Parallel = light or empty
    I did some testing.
    It's clearly weight related.either pushing or pulling.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
  4. krustynuggets

krustynuggets Well-Known Member

Not trying to be a smart arse here but it's the class 09 on the west Somerset dlc on the 08, look the same, originally were the same, the 09's were rebuilt with bigger more powerful engines hence they became the 09.

5. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

You can use the 08 from TVL now on there too. I think I actually like it better to be honest. Maybe the 09 is a bit too shiny

• Like Like x 1
  6. SHINO BAZ

I searched the cab again and found the air/vacuum/loco light dial it is not easy to spot and there is no info given about it even being there in the tutorial.

7. krustynuggets

krustynuggets Well-Known Member

I stand corrected have never noticed that you can blast the 08 around on WSR, i prefer the 09 purely on the fact its in 60's BR livery, do love a bit of BR green on loco's lol

• Like Like x 2
  8. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

You can’t exactly blast it around, it’s more like a creep. I think I read somewhere that it was never intended to be used on WSR but it just appeared because of the way the loco substitution system works in a semiautomatic way on TSW. It won’t go fast enough to keep to the timetable. The 09 can and it is such a great looking train in the green livery.

9. SHINO BAZ

Almost all the locomotives on the ws are not know for there speed so the class 08's are not entirely out of place.plus the class 08's are vintage so they deserve to be be there as well.

• Like Like x 1
  10. SHINO BAZ

Depending on the grade the br class 08 made it up 21mph on flat land and slowed down to 15mph on a slight incline starting from the end of line,not minehead but the other end.at least until the frist station.