Ts20 Menu Theme.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jacobfiremanz, Aug 1, 2020.

?
  1. Music

9 vote(s)
    47.4%
  2. Wagon clunk

10 vote(s)
    52.6%
  1. jacobfiremanz

jacobfiremanz Member

I don't remember the old days when it was that nice music in 2014 as I bought the game in 2017 but I think it would be nice to have something like that theme in the next version of TS instead of the clunk of wagons as it makes for a nicer menu.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

No musak thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Only reason I would want this is that the "wagon clunking" doesnt' show whether the sound crash issue has arisen as quickly as music would. Other than that, don't care

4. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

If I get a game with menu music the first thing I usually look for is how to turn it off but wouldn't begrudge anyone else the option. I'd suggest that's the ideal actually- options. Shunting noises, music, perhaps a Deltic idling or a steam loco' climbing Shap. Other suggestions welcome.

Presumably the sound is stored as a file somewhere- would it be difficult to change?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

First thing I do after a reinstall is turn off the music.
    One can put on music of their choice by inserting a music CD in a slot in the top of their pc tower.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Most (not all) but most modern PC's don't even have DVD Rom drives, we're in the age of thumb drives, mass storage devices and streaming services now, the only reason I have a DVD Rom drive is because I built my PC myself and erroneously thought "I might need it", In 6 yrs though thanks to Steam and music and video streaming services I haven't used it once. (Yes I built my PC 6 yrs ago and it still outperforms (destroys) most mid-tier gaming systems)

Sorry for the deviation of the thread but just thought it worthy of noting.

Regarding the topic, I neither like or dislike the "noises" I know in TANE they annoyed the hell out of me for some reason, possibly because of the train whistle I'm not sure now as it was a few years ago I played it and I muted that almost straight away, TS start up is a lot more subdued I think.

The trouble with music is, well.. What music? Deep dark moody classical? Airy fairy tinkly classical? Jazz? Drum & Bass? Russian Techno? How about Death Metal? or (god forbid) Bon Jovi :mad:

My personal preference is leave it as it is tbh.

• Like Like x 1
  7. olsbyn

olsbyn Active Member

I like the menu music in TSW, it gets me in the right mood, so I would love that music or something similar.
    The best option would of course be a choice between music and various sounds from the game.

8. dunkrez

dunkrez Well-Known Member

Well, if we're going for menu music for train simulation software:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

I really liked the menu music in TS2014 and 2015, It seemed like a waste when they got rid of them. Sadly I don't think the hack to change the menu theme works any more, so I can't change it back.

10. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Having ticked the box to Not Play the Menu Music I don't have to listen to something I don't like

• Like Like x 1
  11. NEC Railfan

NEC Railfan Well-Known Member

12. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

I didn't vote, because like many others in here, the obvious choice is to have a choice... not force on option or the other. Personally I hate menu music.

13. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

One for steam loco fans. Love me Tender by Elvis.

14. brummie

brummie Active Member

ha ha, classic

15. Sabe20189

Sabe20189 Member

Considering the number of responses and the content of this thread, I would only say that in my marriage, my wife and I enjoy Sudo-democratic relationship. By this I mean we are both open to each other's opinion on any subject that effects both of us. For example if we are going to paint a room, I might say something like, "Let's paint it a fluorescent green". Extreme? Yes, but the response my wife would usually give is, 'Maybe, that's one of five". Which can be interpreted as, "No way in hell would we paint it that color. So neither of us get offended, she picks the color and I don't have to apply the paint.

My point is, to have music in the background is an opinion. Although I would not use it, never the less other individuals might like it. It's one of 5. There are those of us who get into TS for the clicks, clunks and clanks and at the same time there are those who would like to enjoy enjoy the train in motion and still have a little back-ground music.

Either way, I appreciate Jacob's thread and input. I guess it comes down to, "To each his own". As I said, I wouldn't use it but the more options we have, the more enjoyable this site is for everyone.

16. Aryffordd

Aryffordd Guest

I guess the good thing about the vote is that if, as appears at the time I wrote these words, it remains evenly or nearly evenly split, it shows a need for an option to be there one way or the other? Personally, I couldn't stand the music on TSW (thankfully the option is there to turn it off), but now I've been converted to TS1, and the clangs don't bother me at all.

• Like Like x 1
  17. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

It is a shame it takes so long to load really then it probably wouldn't matter. I quite like the clanking of wagons and as a musician I love music, but "muzak" can be irritating to be honest. Music is a personal choice too, I would go for some Finzi or Howells but I think that would drive most people away! Maybe the option of music or the clanking of wagons could be a choice as well as having silence.

18. markandrei24

markandrei24 Active Member

19. Tay95

Tay95 Well-Known Member

Or even the sound of passing trains