Please Include On Console Controller A Button For Sand

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by grdaniel48, Jul 27, 2020.

1. grdaniel48

grdaniel48 Well-Known Member

Checking the new controller functions picture, and considering a new highlighted feature on TSW2, will be new adhesion physics feature, then to have a specific button for directly activating / deactivating "sand", will be very useful!.
    Sand is the main tool will help us against lost of traction.
    As there are several functions already assigned to buttons, I suggest to assign it to one of them, and it could do this function when you keep pressing the button. First time, it will activate sand, and if you keep pressed the second time, in will stop doing it.
    What do you think?

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Tay95

Tay95 Well-Known Member

Needed!

3. Louis-MTA NYCTA

Louis-MTA NYCTA Well-Known Member

That could work, however due to the limited number of buttons available on a controller as opposed to PC this may not be possible. But custom key or button binding may fix this if it is added to TSW 2 correct me if i'm wrong. I do agree it is a useful and essential feature.

4. KyleL

KyleL Well-Known Member

They can maybe use the Y button since it has no function

5. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

The Y button will be set for standing up and sitting back down like in the current controller setup, so isn’t available for sand.

6. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

It could be if you had to hold triangle/Y to sit and stand.

7. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

The sand controls in most trains have to be pressed and held to operate them. They are not toggle switches, so any sand control on the controller would be a press and hold, so the other way round would be better (hold for sand). From an ergonomic perspective I think a sand control needs to be operated with the left hand, as your right hand will be busy doing fine adjustments of the throttle, so I think a press and hold on the left d-pad (touch press for opening the left door) would be the ideal choice.

The problem with using a control which is mapped that way is that if you were to press for a short burst of sand the doors would open instead, and if you intend to open or close the doors but hold the button slightly too long, you would get sand instead. If it was the Y button (press to stand up, hold for sand) an intended short blast of sand would result in you standing up and losing all control of the train. It may be that DTG want to avoid these issues and that’s why the controller has no sand control. I think players would be able to get used to it though if it was implemented.

The problem I see for using sand directly from the lever or switch in the cab (and this applies to all buttons in the cab) is that the precision control (press right stick) has been removed, so you need to look directly at the switch in the centre of the screen. For all buttons switches that I need to press directly in the cab, I’ve always used the precision control to move the cursor to the switch rather than have to look directly at it. I like to turn off the centre dot using Ctrl 8 on a keyboard, so usually always need the precision cursor to find a switch. I’m thinking that with the current mapping (no sand control) I’m going to be using the sand key on the keyboard instead. This is of course, if the keyboard still works on console like it does in TSW.

8. KyleL

KyleL Well-Known Member

I forgot about that control

9. Louis-MTA NYCTA

Louis-MTA NYCTA Well-Known Member

In general if we do get the options of changing the controller set-ups by choosing custom button binding. You may be able to choose how you would want the sand function and any other function to work. But t this point in time I personally have not heard of such feature being added to TSW 2 correct me if im wrong.