Have I Broken It???

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ntypeman, Aug 3, 2020.

1. ntypeman

ntypeman Well-Known Member

Hi all....

I bought the AP 142 when it was on sale a few weeks ago & to be honest, I quite like driving it despite its quirkiness!!!

After a while I realised something or 2 were missing, namely the GMPTE & Western Region (brown & cream) "Skipper" liveries (why on earth these weren't included with the AP DLC I'll never understand, but anyway...)

I did a bit of googling and found a GMPTE reskin (by Mungo I think). I downloaded it, followed the instructions & successfully installed it. I even managed to create a quick drive consist that worked until(!) I discovered a 142 pack on the Vulcan Production website... a GMPTE, a Skipper and a Regional Railways with red stripe, WINNER!!!

I downloaded an installed the pack (and no cutting & copying files required with the VP pack) but when I came to create a consist, the new vehicles are listed but when I select them they don't appear and don't have an accompanying picture either...

I can't even create the original "Mungo" consist anymore...Have I broken it and how can I fix it??? I'd like to point out that I've cleared the cache but to no avail... I'm wondering if I have to delete all the Class 142 items & reinstall them (not that i know how to do it yet...)

I'm gutted really as the 142's take me back to my younger(!) days as a spotter when Liverpool Lime Street was awash with pacers on locals, 150/2's on Trans-Pennine services & 86/87 & 90's on Euston's... Ultimately I'd like to create a scenario that replicates this but first things first, I need to get the right stock in place...

As usual, any suggestions would be most appreciated... Thanks again & sorry for the long post...

Eric

2. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

I think the last time I was at Lime Street was before Pacers were introduced. I've been feeling quite old lately. This didn't help.

3. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

If you delete the class 142 folder from the file directory under Steam apps/Railworks/Assets and AP/Waggonz (I think it is) then install the pack again it should work correctly. Probably best to hunt down the files for the reskins and delete them. The Vulcan reskins are generally easy to install, I haven't the Pacer ones but do have several others. If I recall there are some files it copies at the end which you have to agree too, I am not at home at the moment so cannot check.

When you were using the reskins did you tick the provider box under the Vulcan Productions or VP part of the menu in the scenario editor? You might have to do that for them to show.

4. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

The Liveries are missing because AP will only do a livery if it is correct for the model.
    AP only modelled the later doors so a livery that did not fit was not included
    VP did a mod to the doors to make them old style - which explains why AP did not make the liveries

Back to the VP Pack
    [1] Did you "Run as Administrator" to install the pack
    [2] Did you allow the Copying of the Protected files

I just installed these reskins with no problem
    When you create a QD there is No picture in the files for these liveries
    If you wish to check they are working try placing them on a section of track - that will confirm if they have installed properly
    142.jpg
    Peter

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. theorganist

I hadn't noticed before that the doors had changed over time!

6. ntypeman

Yes... they went from 4 "leaves" (as we call them in the bus industry) when new, to 2 "leaves" when they were refurbished...

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll give it a try when i get chance...

By the way, whats the best way to uninstall the VP 142 pack???

Thanks again

Eric

• Like Like x 1
  7. theorganist

I have only ever been on one once, that was recently on the Valley Lines and I didn't notice the doors. I quite liked them, they didn't seem as bouncy as I though they would be. It took me 35 years to experience one but I guess now every preserved railway is buying one I won't be able to avoid them soon!

Under assets/VP there should be a folder you can probably delete that too, ensuring it is the one for the class 142 reskins and you don't have any others installed, otherwise don't delete the whole folder.

I don't think there are uninstallers for the 142 but it might be worth checking.

I might be a bit reckless with file management though but that is how I would do it, someone might come and tell me off soon for doing it wrong.

8. ntypeman

Theorganist & Peter...

Thanks for your helpful suggestions, it's not so broken now!! It's been a success and it works!!! I was a bit nervous about deleting files but I took the plunge. I even managed a test consist of a WR Skipper, a provincial & GMPTE 142's sat in the platform at Lime St!!! Unfortunately, I'm replying on my phone so I can't post a photo (could maybe do it later if anyone's interested???)

Incidentally, when i formed the consist of 3 units there was a driver in each unit... Can I solve it and have only 1 driver for the 3 units and if so, how??? The other question I have is can the destination blinds be amended??? The Skipper rather amusingly (can) show Bishop Auckland etc and also the original destination blinds were black print / text on a white background...

Thanks again...

Eric

• Like Like x 1
  9. theorganist

I don't think they came with no driver options. If you select the class 142's and then go into the field in the scenario editor with all the trains you have available (those you have ticked in the object filter box) you might have some with "nd" at the end of the description, if not then they didn't provide them.

I have only just started messing with destination boxes myself, I used to not bother. I am not sure how you do it in the 142, it should say in the manual. There will be some optional destination somewhere. I can't look tonight but will try over the next couple of days.

10. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

No, the units are designed to run coupled and have a standard BSI coupling
    In real life you can couple any combination of 14x and 15x units all controlled by the one driver up to a maximum of 12 Cabs

Peter

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  11. ntypeman

Please don't take this the wrong way & I'm not trying to offend anyone (have witnessed how some "go off like a bottle of pop"!!!) but without wishing to sound ungrateful, I realise that (and am most grateful for everyone's input, after all isn't that what forums are all about), but wondered if it was possible to form a "multiple consist" (like the one I created) but only have 1 driver instead of 3... That harks back to the days of non-multiple working & a driver was required "per loco / unit"...

Unfortunately I can't right now get access to the manual (as I'm not at home)...

Eric

12. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

You can only have 1 driver of a train in the game
    You can couple a 14x to another 14x or 15x as One train with One driver.
    156 tt.jpg

When you create the consist in the game you have to place a Driver Icon on the leading loco/unit.
    The game will not let you place more that one Icon on a train
    With a Driver Icon on the lead vehicle and you click on the train that is the Cab you will be in.
    This is the 156 cab of the train above
    Screenshot_1 - Test TraK_51.11694-6.22355_12-00-44.jpg

If you change ends then you will be in the rear cab of the train irrespective of type.
    So now I'm in the 150
    Screenshot_1 - Test TraK_51.11686-6.22192_12-01-01.jpg

But if you have two sets and you split en route only the section you placed the driver Icon on will be drivable.

Does that make sense?

Peter

13. ntypeman

Hi Peter....

I have a confession... I think I'm getting quick drives mixed up with making a consist which you've obviously done in your post...

In the custom QD I created I ended up with 3 drivers (as per my original post), what you created in your post seems more complex than I currently know about... I've got to go back to work shortly (as I'm a bus driver who works split shifts) so I'll re-read your post properly & maybe have a go of it later...

Eric

14. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

When you say "three drivers" do you mean there is a driver in the front cab of each set?
    That is just a quirk of Train Simulator where it puts a driver in every cab.
    Screenshot_1 - Test TraK_51.11645-6.22334_12-00-21.jpg
    Some of the models come with a nd version which is "No Driver" but not the 142

Peter

15. rickyt7808

rickyt7808 Member

You can use TS-Tools to create a nd version by removing the driver from the child objects. That would leave you with 2 versions one with driver one without and then build your consist accordingly. You can do the same with Preload consists as well by changing the driver version for a nd version.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  16. ntypeman

Peter,

Yes, that's correct... there was a driver in the lead cab in each of the 3 units...

Eric

17. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

You will find a driver in every cab on a 142 train because AP/Waggonz did not make a Non Driver version.
    It is like that on a number of locos