A Bit Of Advice To Beginners

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sabe20189, Aug 3, 2020.

1. Sabe20189

Sabe20189 Member

TS2020 is everything I hoped it would be. For those who love trains, I will say that I'm hooked on this program. For beginners like my self, I need to confess, I came into this wanting to get into building a specific rail line and by-pass the research necessary, by asking for quick answers. "Bad plan"! This may be the easy way, but taking time to use the manual and learning to do my own research is much more rewarding and by far out weighs being hand fed all of the answers.

I suggest that if you are really serious about a route building project, by all means, plan on keeping a log book. If, in the event you lose part or all of a project, you will be able to follow your notes and eventually get back to where you where.

But better yet, begin a log book with this first and most important entry, "HOW TO SAVE AND RESTORE A ROUTE PROJECT. Use the Youtube tutorials to learn how to save your project to an external drive so that you will not need to start over in the first place. This should be step one in any TS project log book. Rule two in the book would be to, "Up-date the external file as often as possible".

I created a line in Microsoft Train Simulator years ago and soon after reaching the other end of the line, my computer hard drive crashed and I lost everything but my back up files. But because I didn't have the step by step log book, I found I didn't remember the essential steps to pull up the correct rail and scenery items necessary to pull it all together.

So rule three for the log book would be, "Learn to do your own homework".

2. dunkrez

dunkrez Well-Known Member

Regular automated backups (cloud and local) of the source dev folder is usually a good plan.

3. pgdlrailworksl

pgdlrailworksl Member

Glad you have gone back to understand the basics.
    I think learning as you build is a good plan then asking Google when you get stuck as someone will usually have had the same problem.

Rule four: Persevere
    Sometimes it is will get very frustrating and the project will probably take much longer than you thought possible but keep going.

4. Sabe20189

Sabe20189 Member

Thanks guys.

5. dunkrez

dunkrez Well-Known Member

That Friday feeling when staying up until 04:30 and finally getting your first locomotive model into the TS engine after a lot of work, trial and error.

And patience.

Lots of patience.

• Like Like x 1