Out Of Memory Just For One Route And Others -- No Problem

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jpmackay, Aug 6, 2020.

1. jpmackay

jpmackay Active Member

Yesterday I sent my ticket to Dovetail Support about my problem with one route, CN Yellowhead Pass. This morning at my time zone in Canada between 5 hours difference from UK. Sadly they can't help to resolve this problem. I know I made a mistake that I downloaded one of the file for CN SD40-2 Widenose from Railworks America and replaced with Jonathan Lewis's CN SD40-2 Widenose in Assets Folder. Yes I did make a backup copy of JL's CN SD40-2 Widenose and leave out in the folder on another drive if this doesn't work. Well it doesn't work so I deleted the folder of CN SD40-2 Widenose (Railworks America) and put back Jonathan Lewis's CN SD40-2 Widenose back in the Assets Folder under JL. Now it doesn't work because of the error with OUT OF MEMORY. Even I unsubscribed all workshop scenarios or route and verify the integrity of files and reset on the program of Train Simulator 2020. Nothing work with this route. I am very disappointed to see that Dovetail Support can't help to resolve this and they said that OUT OF MEMORY is ongoing issue for a while and I was surprised to see that they couldn't get this resolved. What a shame with this team at Dovetail Games? Anyway any idea how to fix this to get this route running again not with OUT OF MEMORY.

Do you think that I can get a refund for this through Dovetail Games or Steam? Let me know about this.

Thank you,

John

2. michael hooley

michael hooley Well-Known Member

I have a high spec system 32 gig ram 8 gig video memory, never got out of memory problems until just lately. now I am getting them, when i load a scenario that has run ok before, does not make sense. sometimes when i quit the game OOM this scenario will not run reduce settings. i am running the 64 bit file.

3. jpmackay

jpmackay Active Member

Good to know that you're in the same boat as I have. Sad to see that Dovetail Games can't even resolved this even they knew the problem for a good while. They ask me to try few things to see if that works. I am not going to spend more time trying to correct the problem. I believe that this is their issue not mine.

Thank you,

John

4. jpmackay

jpmackay Active Member

Just found out from Steam Support that they will not refund this route, CN Yellowhead Pass. Nice to waste my money with no support from Dovetail Games for this problem with OUT OF MEMORY. Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you,

John

5. ntypeman

ntypeman Well-Known Member

John...

Just a thought... Are you running it in 64 bit??? If so, have you tried running it in 32 bit instead???

Eric

6. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I think one problem is that there are so many different variations in users set-ups. Also I wonder if DTG even know what is really causing it? I suspect a lot of these OOM crashes are nothing to do with memory. I had one homemade scenario which would not load due to OOM, it used a fair bit of detailed yet I have made some since which use more resources than that one and they load fine, I also swapped the stock with RW Tools for less advanved or detailed stock and it still crashed with OOM. The OOM "use 64-bit version instead" crash report seems to be quite generic, as often the user is already using 64 bit, as in my case. It is frustrating having such a generic message which doesn't really help identify the problem.

7. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

So because You changed some things in the game and it does not work for you it's DTG's fault?

Go in to your Assets Folder for the route and Delete everything apart from the *.ap file.
    The game will now load from the *ap file

8. olsbyn

olsbyn Active Member

Could it be you guys are running other programs in the background even without knowing it ? Newly installed programs often give themselves startup rights when installing, you could also try clearing the game cache, and set Windows to clear the page file at shutdown.

9. jpmackay

jpmackay Active Member

Hi Peter,

OK the first part -- my fault but I did create a backup copy of the locomotives that come with the route. Got the similar file from Railworks America to replace the locomotives in Assets/JL/Yellowhead/RailVehicles/Diesel/SD40-2W. Then go to launch the simulator and the locomotives are missing on the scenario that I picked. So I stopped the simulator and go back to Assets folder to delete the locomotives that I got from Railworks America and put the original SD40-2W back in. Then I started again to launch the simulator and got the message OUT OF MEMORY for this route, CN Yellowhead Pass. Yes I did delete everything even with the .ap file too and started again to launch and see the downloading of .ap file for CN Yellowhead Pass. Yes I wait till the downloading is done then I close the simulator and restarted my desktop then back to launch the simulator with the new .ap file through Steam. But I still got the same error message with OUT OF MEMORY. Someone at another forum told me to delete the .ap file as well and untick the route in Train Simulator properties by right-click then wait for 30 seconds then tick the route again to download. Well I did this several times but still the same message with OUT OF MEMORY. So I decided to send a support ticket last night and got the reply from Chris M at Dovetail Games Support and he said that he can't help to solve this problem because there's nothing wrong with my program of Train Simulator 2020. Also he said that this part with OUT OF MEMORY is an issue and Dovetail Games are working on to resolve this issue. How long is that for the team trying to solve the problem. Now I said that this is their fault not trying to get this solved even they knew for a good while with this issue. I do know they are keep concentrating build the routes and get out in the market through Steam for anyone who want to purchase the routes.

Oh the other thing the support guy said that go over to Steam to get a refund and explain to them about my problem. Well I got the message and will NOT get a refund from them at all. I stuck with this route that are not be able to simulate.

I don't know if it's a good idea to uninstall the whole program of Train Simulator then reinstall them again. Will that work? I read that this part will not be able to solve the problem. Oh my goodness what else I go from here to get this route up running again.

Thank you,

John

10. jpmackay

jpmackay Active Member

Thank you for your reply and I did everything to make this route work again. No luck at all and may I ask you how do I know the other programs in the background are running. Yes I did clear the game cache and not sure how to setup Windows to clear the page file at shutdown. Can you tell me the setup for Windows to clear the page file at shutdown. That would be great to add this.

Thank you again,

John

11. jpmackay

jpmackay Active Member

Hello Eric,

Yes I did try both in 32 and 64 bit on 64-bit desktop to run the program of Train Simulator 2020.

Thank you,

John

12. jpmackay

jpmackay Active Member

That's true about yours above and wish that the message can tell specific problem what caused the route with OUT OF MEMORY.

Anyway I just have to leave that route alone and remember not to click to simulate in the program of Train Simulator 2020.

Thanks,

John

13. olsbyn

olsbyn Active Member

This is a link to how you set Windows to clear you RAM cache everytime you shut down your computer, it's basically the same prosedure if you're on Windows 7,8 or 10: http://woshub.com/clear-pagefile-sys-shutdown-windows-10-8-7/
    To open "Regedit" as mentioned in the article just use the search column in windows menu, this a windows native program, so nothing fishy to install.
    To find out what programs may be running in the background you use Task manager to find out what programs makes a load on the system, then either click on it to highlight, then click on the button to close them ( this will have to be done every time your pc has started up, also beware not to shut down windows system services ), or you can go into your settings and change what programs will start automatically as you start your pc.

14. jpmackay

jpmackay Active Member

GOOD NEWS about this -- NOW I CAN SIMULATE THIS ROUTE OF CN YELLOWHEAD PASS.

I have been thinking over about my problem with OUT OF MEMORY all day and few minutes ago I just remember that I should have delete the folder of Yellowhead in JL folder under ASSETS. Then I unzip the .ap file inside the folder of Yellowhead and launch the program of Train Simulator in 64-bit exe and pick the route with CN Yellowhead Pass and the first career scenario. Off it went and works like a charm. Yay!!

Thank you,

John

• Like Like x 2
  15. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Your problems occurred because you were overthinking the problem.
    Having got the locos from Railworks America you could have just installed them.

Anything you buy thru Steam is put on to you computer in an *.ap file - usually called MainContent.ap but not always.
    If you add a repaint it will sit alongside the Steam version so you can have the default and the RW America version
    There is no need to back up the Steam version as they are in the *.ap file.
    If the repaints are not working as they should you just delete them - it's only a paint job

If you have a problem with something like that you just go to the folder and delete everything EXCEPT the *.ap file
    That returns the assets to the Same condition as you purchased them

Worse Case Scenario is you do a File Verify from the Steam Client and that will sort out missing files
    You should not have to reinstall TS2020 for any reason

Peter