PlayStation Ps4 Pro Console Resolution?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by matthewbguilford, Aug 7, 2020.

1. matthewbguilford

matthewbguilford Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I was just wondering what resolution TSW2 will run on consoles, specifically PS4 Pro. Will we have 4K support? Will the resolution improve over TSW on console?
    Thank You, Matt.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Sam once answered me to say TSW 2020 has 4K support, but on PS4 it doesn’t seem to support 4K. I hope TSW 2 runs in native 4K on PS4 Pro.

• Like Like x 1
  3. matthewbguilford

Yes, I remember the announcement article saying 4K resolution but it didn’t specify if that’s included on consoles. I mean I don’t expect it to run in native 4K (as a lot of PS4 Pro titles run 1440p-2160p even the Sony first party games. I am just hoping we see some increase to resolution on consoles over TSW as it will make things a lot clearer.

• Like Like x 5
  4. matthewbguilford

Hopefully we get an answer to this question on tonight’s TSW2 stream!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Stockton Rails

Stockton Rails Well-Known Member

...I’ve had the following PS4 non-Pro questions waiting for answers for at least a few weeks now- hopefully in this open Q&A today we get all of these questions answered- for the PS4 Pro and non-Pro.

1) Will the new routes operating under TSW 2 run at full HD 1920 x 1080p resolution on the PS4 non-Pro?
    Answer: No, they will run at 1600 x 900p resolution (identical to the resolution on TSW 2020)

(Note: Though Sam only stated the number of lines in his post (900), I’m assuming the horizontal resolution is 1600 pixels per line since this is the only 16:9 format listed with 900 lines... see link below)

2) What is the typical (not the max) frame rate we can expect to see in the new routes operating under TSW 2 on the PS4 non-Pro?
    Answer: Expected frame rate is 25-30fps (possibly more)

(edit, 8/14/20: added frame rate info provided by Matt in TSW 2 open Q&A livestream)
    (edit, 8/15/20: added screen resolution info supplied by Sam in this thread)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Display_resolution#/media/File:Vector_Video_Standards8.svg

Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
  6. matthewbguilford

Great questions, I hope we get an answer for them tonight!

7. matthewbguilford

Confirmed during the stream PS4 Pro will have 4K support, base PS4 will run at a crisp 1080p.

• Like Like x 2
  8. LucasLCC

LucasLCC Well-Known Member

Didn't they also confirm that 4K will be at a joyous 30 FPS?

9. matthewbguilford

Yes they did, I’ll take 4K 30fps as that’s what most first party Sony games run at.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I’m glad I have the PS4 Pro.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Stockton Rails

...not sure you guys caught this, but Sam never actually stated what the game resolution is on the PS4 non-Pro. He covered what the resolution was when using the PS4 Pro with either a 4K UHD display or a normal 1080p HD display. But for the regular Xbox and PS4 non-Pro systems, he only said that TSW 2 would operate ‘exactly as they are currently’ with TSW 2020- without actually stating what that resolution is.

I’ve checked the video at least twice at this point- Sam clearly left this information out, and I *still* have no idea if TSW 2020 or TSW 2 operate in full HD resolution on a standard PS4. Seems a little fishy to me right now... why is it so hard to get this info, unless they simply don’t want to share it.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
  12. skyMutt

skyMutt Well-Known Member

Well, this certainly is a bit odd and quite frankly I'm a bit disappointed they didn't mention how the resolution will be handled with the non-pro versions of the PS4.
    If they're adding the option to zoom while inside the cockpit, surely that'll mean that the gauges and displays would be crisp and readable, right? Whats going on here?

13. Stockton Rails

...good point about them implementing zoom for all consoles in TSW 2. I would ‘assume’ since they’re enabling this feature, that this means TSW 2 is running in full HD 1920 x 1080p res on the standard PS4.

(DTG Protagonist- can you *please* confirm with Matt whether TSW 2 in game play mode runs in full HD 1920 x 1080p res on the standard PS4? Matt never actually stated what the actual res was for the PS4 non-Pro in the stream today- so I’m still waiting for the hard numbers on this question. Thanks in advance.)

14. matthewbguilford

I know they stated in the stream that the PS4 Pro could be knocked down to 1080p but I figured that meant that’s what the base would run at.

15. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

When you zoom you’ll be zooming in-game, not zooming the screen, so it’s like you’re getting closer to the dials. The screen resolution will be irrelevant in that situation.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  16. Stockton Rails

...that could be, and I hope you're right. Guess I’ll just have to wait for Sam to get back to me with this info.

17. matthewbguilford

I do think the specifics on this were overlooked with all the questions they are trying to get answered up until launch, and as straight forward as they have been whether it was an answer we wanted to hear or not, I don’t think they are trying to hide or not share this information on purpose. I do think base will run at 1080p

18. Stockton Rails

...as I wrote earlier, you’re probably right- and I appreciate your texts about this. It’s just been frustrating to literally wait for a few weeks now for answers to these two simple performance-related questions about TSW 2. And here we had an open q&a today, and I’m thinking we’re finally going to wrap both of these up... and that clearly did not happen.

The performance of TSW 2 is one of the critical factors for me right now that can determine, along with other factors, whether or not I buy into the new sim. If TSW 2 does not run at full HD 1920 x 1080p resolution on my standard PS4, I want to know that before I buy into it, not after. We’ll see... I remain hopeful.

• Like Like x 1
  19. DTG Protagonist

DTG Protagonist Has left the building Staff Member

On the standard PS4 (same for X1) the game runs slightly lower than 1080p - I believe it's around 900. It's exactly the same resolution you have now.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

What does TSW 2020 run at currently on the PS4 Pro. I don’t think it is 4K.

21. DTG Protagonist

DTG Protagonist Has left the building Staff Member

It's not. 4K is new.

• Like Like x 3
  22. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I can’t wait to see the improvement.

23. Ps4Player

Ps4Player Well-Known Member

Great news about ps4 Pro support!
    Does anybody know if the shadow draw distance will be also increased? Some weather configurations were just unplayable because of the awful shadows popping up.
    Can't wait to play tsw2!

24. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Shadow draw distance will be the same as TSW2020.

25. Ps4Player

Oh no... Really? Then I really don't see the point why I need 4k if the shadows pop up in front of the train? but we will see.

26. matthewbguilford

They had mentioned this in the stream, they said pop in would be the same as TSW2020 but they were able to hide it more with the Unreal engine upgrades so it’s barely noticeable. It sounds like an improvement over TSW2020 and I’m looking forward to see it run on consoles. I will say I’m very happy DTG decided to support 4K on the pro as that is something I had always wished with TSW2020.

• Like Like x 2
  27. Stockton Rails

If I were a PS4 Pro owner, I’d be pretty excited about being able to run TSW 2 in 4K right now. The improvements to the draw distance are definitely nice to have (hopefully those really help), but that 4K image should really pop compared to a 1080p image. It also sounds like the frame rate is much improved on the Pro as well (compared to the 20-30 fps I get on my non-Pro), so you guys have some nice performance features checked off the list!

• Like Like x 3
  28. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I really can’t wait. Neither can my PS4 Pro.

• Like Like x 2
  29. matthewbguilford

Thank you for the kind words and I want you to be able to have a good experience on your base PS4 as well, which I think you will!

• Like Like x 1
  30. Ps4Player

Okay, so there is an improvement. Good to hear! Thanks for the information!

31. Doyden

Doyden Active Member

I have a question in relation to the new 4k option. Does the setting in game work independently of or in conjunction with the supersampling setting on the PS4 Pro console?

I have a 1080p screen and only very occasionally do I activate the supersampling mode when I know a game supports 4k so as to gain the extra detail due the image being downscaled again. Will I need to have the PS4 Pro supersampling option turned on for the 4k option to appear in TSW settings or does the game just work with a 4k picture regardless and then outputs based on the HD/4k option you've selected in-game?

32. pugsnotdrugs

pugsnotdrugs New Member

seems pretty pointless really to not have the standard ps4 run at 1080 instead of lower resolution im sure it could cope with it really not everyone has a ps4 pro or the money to get a pro seems like a missed opportunity to me anyway

33. Stockton Rails

Since you’re running with a 1080p display, you should set the TSW 2 display option to HD or 1080p (whichever desc they use in the game). TSW 2 apparently always runs at 4K internally, so when you select a 1080p display to be used with it, the game itself will convert the internal 4k image to a 1080p image for your connected display.

You could also turn on the supersampling feature in your PS4 Pro, take some screen shots with this feature on and off, then compare the pics to see which ones look the best to you. I might be a little concerned about image artifacts when leaving this PS4 feature enabled, if the game itself does any sort of image enhancements on its own while down-converting.

34. pugsnotdrugs

pugsnotdrugs New Member

has anyone played on a non ps4 pro yet and seen any difference to what has been shown off