Great Eastern Mainline In The 1980's/90's

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Sprinter_Boi_2002, Aug 6, 2020.

?
  1. 1960's/70's

5.9%
  2. 1980's/90's

47.1%
  3. Early 2000's

11.8%
  4. 2010 - Present day

35.3%
  1. Sprinter_Boi_2002

Sprinter_Boi_2002 New Member

We have a fairly modern version of the GEML on Train Sim 2020 already but TSW is showing that it can do older trains a lot better than Train Sim 2020 can which is why I'm suggesting this era for TSW.

There was a wide variety of EMU's, locomotives and rolling stock with some DMU's that used the line in this time period.
    EMU's included:
    Class 309's for mainline services to Colchester and Clacton.
    Class 312's for trains up and down the mainline including trains to Southend and often Clacton as well.
    Class 315's which are still used on the Shenfield 'metro' services.
    Depending on which era is chosen, Class 302's and 307's also used to be used on the mainline, however I do believe they were partly transferred away or subsequently scrapped. I might need to look into their operations a bit more carefully although I'm almost positive they were used down both the West Anglia and Lea Valley lines.
    Speaking of these other lines it wasn't uncommon to find class 304 and 305 units at Liverpool street which also ran these lines. However they may not be of any importance unless these lines are simulated.
    Class 321's became prevalent on the mainline during the 90's and replaced a few more 307's and 302's with a few more 312's and 309's for extra measure on their local lines like the Clacton and Southend branches.

And now a breather! we move from EMU's to talk about locomotive power! The GEML saw many different locos during this 10/20 year period including class 47's for London-Norwich workings to 37's standing in on specials, rescue trains and freight workings to Class 31's doing general duties and inter-regional trains further north from Colchester and Norwich to places like Nottingham and Birmingham.
    Once the line got converted and fully electrified between London and Norwich BR acquired a few class 86's to help out on freight alongside the ones kept for passenger uses. This would work best in 1985-87 where 86's would detach at Ipswich and a 47 would take over for the rest of the journey to Norwich and vice-versa. Working this running around practice at London Liverpool Street and Norwich would be quite fun for a scenario or a small shunting run.
    For the many pilot duties that were needed around this time, the GEML used to have Class 08 and mechanical 03 shunters to perform such duties. Pilots for London ceased for the most part but at Norwich an 08 was kept to pull the carriages off of a loco to allow space for the loco to leave the platform and move to a shunt neck whilst the 08 moved the carriages back and also moved out of the way to allow the 47 back in to the platform.

As for DMU's these were mainly used out of Ipswich and Norwich for the East Suffolk lines and Wherry/Bittern Lines. These DMU's ranged from 101's to 105's. Other DMU's used throughout East Anglia were used on the inter-regionals to replace class 31's hauling 4-5 Mk2's mentioned in the above paragraph.

So, all in all, making this route in the 80's/90's would be cool to see. Especially since this period of the GEML presents many changes such as the Liverpool Street and Stratford station rebuilds. This sort of time is quite difficult to find any videos of up close and personal shots such as details around Stratford and Liverpool Street but with enough perseverance and digging I'm sure you can uncover some real good gems.

If you made it this far thanks for taking the time to read this giant mouthful! Please feel free to add anything I may have missed, especially details on the earlier EMU workings as I'm a bit rough on those.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Northerner

Northerner Well-Known Member

I agree with you that it'd be great to make this route in the 80s and 90s era and be able to drive the Mark 1 and 2 based AC EMUs. That era would also probably provide a much wider variety of rolling stock than if modelled in the modern day.

The full main line without branches between Liverpool Street and Norwich might be a bit long to make at around 115 miles though. So possibly Liverpool Street to Colchester including the Southend, Braintree and Sudbury branches might be good which would provide lots of variety from rural branch lines to busy main lines and being able to drive DMUs, EMUs and loco hauled services. But even that would be getting close to 100 miles so is still optimistic.

3. ehrenholt

ehrenholt Active Member

[removed by Protagonist - caps are unnecessary]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2020
  4. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

No need to shout.

Also you don’t want BR era stuff but you want a pacer? A pacer is a BR era train.

• Like Like x 2
  5. ehrenholt

ehrenholt Active Member

[removed by Protagonist - caps unnecessary]

6. HamioSamio098

HamioSamio098 Well-Known Member

1. Please stop shouting ehrenholt. The OP can suggest what he/she wants.
    2. I want never gets.
    3. I feel the GEML would be a great addition especially if it was set in a transitional phase with a mix of old and new stock

• Like Like x 3
  7. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Ah, thanks for the very loud clarification.

Common sense is more about knowing not to stand very close to a cliff edge or not touching a metal kettle that’s just boiled, or knowing that I really shouldn’t be replying to your comment, but it doesn’t usually encompass knowing which bits of BR era content someone else considers to be nonsense in a train simulator.

• Like Like x 3