Installing Files...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ntypeman, Aug 9, 2020.

1. ntypeman

ntypeman Well-Known Member

Hi all...

I downloaded the NSE Logo for the Class 483 from Alan Thompson sim and went to install it when i hit the buffers...!!!

Once I'd extracted the file & read the read me, I followed the instructions but it came up with do you want to overwrite 19 files???

At this point i stopped as I didn't want to mess up my system if I pressed "yes"... Basically the read me says: "Just drag the Assets folder from download into Railworks then ya good to go!!!"

Is it really as easy as that??? As i said I didn't want to mess all my files up if I'd pressed yes and also some further help would be nice as I'd also like to install the Class 483 LT patch from the same site but again the readme seems difficult to follow...

If someone out there knows what they're doing I'd appreciate some advice...

Thanks in advance

Eric

2. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Say yes
    If it messes up delete the folder, remove and reinstall the DLC through steam and then start again

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. Peter Hayes

Peter Hayes Well-Known Member

Those are standard re-skin install instructions - they will overwrite some of your files in the appropriate assets folder - but should not damage the default DLC.
    Just for info: In later years many DLC loco assets were installed as .ap files (zero-compressed files - making it easier to check and ensure default files are not corrupted) and they may need you to extract some files called GeoPcDx files from the .ap file (easy with TS-Tools) to complete the install. But they will not affect the default .ap file in any way.
    I have several hundred re-skins/enhancements and I cannot recall one ever corrupting a default DTG asset.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ntypeman

Thanks to those who have replied...

Peter can I ask do you need to pay for TS Tools or can you do it without??? I looked at the LT 483 and it was quoting all the GeoPcDx files you said...

Eric

5. Peter Hayes

Eric
    TS-Tools is free and easy to use and has its own forum on UKTS.
    You can also just extract the GeoPcDx files from an .ap file (without unpacking the whole file) using 7-zip also free.
    I have a very rough almost accurate guide to "fixing" stuff on TS on UKTS file downloads (UKTS ID 39549) and Appendix 1 shows you how to do this.

6. ntypeman

Peter,

Sorted the NSE logo patch, pity there's no Island Line logo but anyway... I wanted to modify the LT 483, this is the read me:

Class 483 LT Improvement
    Requirement: Isle of Wight from Steam
    This Pack adds a better red than it was, adds better sounds including a new whistle
    Just copy the RSDL folder in Assets & then copy the geo file from Assets, RSDL, IslandLine,
    RailVheicles, Electric, Class483, NSE, DMSO & then copy the geo file to Assets, RSDL, IslandLine,
    RailVheicles, Electric, Class483, Default, DMSO.
    Enjoy!!!!!!!!!

Does this make sense to you because it I can't make head nor tail of it!!! Am I best downloading TS tools, and is TS tools similar to RW Enhancer pro???

Eric

7. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Copying the Assets folder but not telling you what to do with it does not make sense.

Most of the files in the game are stored in the Assets folder, for everything you see in the game,
    and the Content folder which is a map of all the routes in the game

These repaints require the person installing them to have knowledge of their file system
    If you are not comfortable in doing this and if you are unsure you could make an error and move/delete the wrong thing
    Maybe - Maybe Not,, - It is for changing things in the game by manipulating files
    It might be too much of a Learning Curve as you need to manipulate files
    If the instructions above are difficult you could easily mess things up

No, it is nothing like RW Enhancer - That is just something to make the picture look better.

Peter

8. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Go into the zip or extracted file you just downloaded and you'll find a folder called RSDL, copy this to the assets folder in your railworks folder. This will add or update files in the existing RSDL folder

OK, so go to assets and then follow the directory tree to DMSO, find the file with the file type GEOPCDX, copy this
    OK, so go back two directory levels to CLASS483 then into defualt, then into DMSO
    Paste the GEOPCDX file here (right click, paste or hold CTRL and press V)

This takes the "shell" of the loco from the NSE version and puts it in the default version too

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  9. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

The problem with the instructions is those people who have done this before understand what is required
    But the instructions say "Just copy the RSDL folder in Assets" instead of "Copy the RSDL folder TO Assets"
    Two different things and if you are doing it the first time....

10. ntypeman

ARuscoe...

Thank you so much for your walk through... I've done what you said BUT when you say about the GeoPcDx files, there are 2:

483_loco.GeoPcDx 483_loco_interior.GeoPcDx

Do I need to copy & paste them both???

Thanks again

Eric

11. Peter Hayes

Eric
    What do the instructions say? You usually need both but do check the instructions.

12. ntypeman

The instructions don't really say... I'm just following ARuscoe's advice... I copied both anyway & I think it's worked but I should have done a before & after comparison first...

Eric

13. Peter Hayes

First of all I could not find the Class 483 LT improvement reskin on Alan Thomson Simulations only the Class 483 in Island line 2020 – Is that the reskin you are asking about?

To install this reskin, please follow the following steps:

1.) Copy the folder named ‘assets’, contained within this download, and paste it into Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Railworks. (This is where I advised you to overwrite any files and that is normal procedure.)

You said:

This is incorrect you should NOT be copying the RSDL folder but just TWO GeoPcDx files in that folder as per below.

Navigate to \Steam\steamapps\common\Railworks\Assets\RSDL\IslandLine\RailVehicles\Electric\Class483\Default\DMSO\ and copy the TWO files named 483_loco.GeoPcDx and 483_loco_interior.GeoPcDx. This is asking you to navigate to the RSDL\Island Line etc and ONLY copy 2 GeoPcDx files NOT the whole RSDL folder as suggested above.

Now if this is the reskin that I state above then you need to navigate to\Steam\steamapps\common\Railworks\Assets\RSDL\IslandLine\RailVehicles\Electric\Class483\2020\DMSO\ and paste these TWO GeoPcDx files, named 483_loco.GeoPcDx and 483_loco_interior.GeoPcDx.

This is asking you to copy BOTH of these files to your newly created Reskin addon and NOTE you need to install the two files in the Class 483\2020\DMSO folder NOT the default. The default should already have its own GeoPcDx files.

If I have got the wrong reskin then give me the exact name of the reskin and the URL where I canm download it from and I can look at how to install it for you.

14. ntypeman

Thank you so much Peter...

I'll have a look in the morning...

Eric

15. ntypeman

Hi Peter...

so many apologies for not coming back to you sooner... The fact of the matter was whilst I had the file(s), I couldn't for the life of me remember where I'd downloaded it from (is it an age thing??? I'm [ahem} 40ish this year!!!)... After an hour trawling the 'net, I've finally found where I got it from:

https://hornsey-studios.weebly.com/patches-reskins.html

If you scroll down to Class 483 textures, It'll be there...

Thanks again.

Eric

16. ntypeman

17. Peter Hayes

Eric
    IMO very poorly written instructions.
    What he/she should have said is:
    Extract the zip folder to get a RSDL Folder and a readme file
    Copy that RSDL folder into your \STEAM\steamapps\common\RailWorks\Assets Folder overwrite if necessary
    Now navigate to \STEAM\steamapps\common\RailWorks\Assets\RSDL\IslandLine\RailVehicles\Electric\Class483\NSE\DMSO folder
    Copy the GeoPcDx file 483loco.GeoPcDx (ONLY) to
    \STEAM\steamapps\common\RailWorks\Assets\RSDL\IslandLine\RailVehicles\Electric\Class483\Default\DMSO folder
    as you open TS the next time just clear the blueprint.cache in TS and that should be it.
    pH

• Like Like x 1
  18. ntypeman

Peter...

that was perfect... thank you... I don't suppose I could kindly request your assistance with installing the Network South East Class 03 reskin could I???

I have "semi" installed it but seem to have gotten into a bit of a pickle & don't know how to fix it...

Eric

19. Peter Hayes

Eric
    If this is the VP/MDS BR Class 03 Network South East Livery then proceed as per below:
    Extract the reskin zip file and copy and paste the ASSETS folder into your Railworks folder overwrite if necessary.
    You should now see a Assets\RSC\IndustrialNorth\RailVehicles folder -check that you do!
    In that folder you should see the following: Diesel\Class03\NSE_MDS\Engine\ again check that this is correct.

Now to the tricky bit – read my instructions below to know how to proceed:

Now what he didn't tell you in the readme that when you navigate to E:\STEAM\steamapps\common\RailWorks\Assets\RSC\IndustrialNorth you see a DoncasterWorks.ap file/folder! .ap files are zerobyte compressed files that can be read/extracted with 7Zip, WinZip, WinRAR etc. You cannot access these files directly they need some tweaking first.

This is the method I use with 7ZIP – TS Tools will also work, and I can give you instructions if needed. If you do not have 7Zip installed I would advise getting it and make sure that 7 zip shows up in Windows File Explorer, see https://www.isumsoft.com/it/7-zip-missing-from-right-click-menu-in-windows-10/.

Using 7Zip in Windows
    Navigate to \STEAM\steamapps\common\RailWorks\Assets\RSC\IndustrialNorth you see a DoncasterWorks.ap file/folder
    Right click on ".ap" file and then choose 7-Zip drop down – i.e. left click – Open Archive (top-most option) and you can now see the files contained in the .ap file.
    Click on \RailVehicles, then \Diesel, then \Class03,then \BR Blue, then\Engine - highlight the Class03.GeoPcDx file, choose Copy from the menu, a dialogue box appears showing where it will be copied to then press OK.
    (Just Check that it will be copied to (usually automatic) \STEAM\steamapps\common\RailWorks\Assets\RSC\IndustrialNorth)
    Exit 7ZIP and use Windows Explorer to navigate to Assets\RSC\IndustrialNorth, where you should now see the GeoPcDx file you extracted/copied out of the .ap file
    Then you just use the copy and paste (or move) that GeoPcDx file into the following folder
    Assets\RSC\IndustrialNorth\RailVehicles\Diesel\Class03\NSE_MDS\Engine\

Hope that helps.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  20. ex-railwayman

ex-railwayman Active Member

This is one of the problems within the game, Eric, it all depends on if you are a newcomer, or, not. if you have already installed an asset and then you obtain a repaint it will ask you if you want to override a certain number of assets, textures, etc, however, it all depends on the DATES of these assets. If you are new player to this simulator you could install them all, and have 2 copies of each asset and then you can check the dates of them, and delete the ones that are old. If I have DLC trains from 2019 for example, I don't want textures to be overwritten by assets from 2015, if you understand me. It's best to have the latest assets as they are probably updated from previous ones and for a newbie I would suggest you have everything uptodate, it will all become clearer as you get more involved with the Simulator. Unfortunately, a lot of these Read Me documents are not written properly, the creators expect everyone to be a veteran and know exactly what to do, which doesn't help any newcomers if they haven't put reskins on locomotives/multiple units before.

Cheerz. Steve.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
  21. Peter Hayes

Steve
    You make a good point there - but I have always just overwritten everything when installing re-skins and have not seen any adverse changes.
    Even newer re-skins still tend to use the original GepPcDx files anyway and these can be several years old (I have some used in a 2020 reskin that date from 2014) so I'm not sure what issues I might experience, by using a universal overwrite policy.
    It is not always easy to tell when a file was ORIGINALLY created, so it is difficult to know when you are overwriting a newer file or one that has been re-saved, etc, having a new date doesn't mean that it has been updated.
    Do you know what happens when install a .rwp file via Utilities.exe does the same happen ie you overwrite newer files?
    So while I respect your view, I believe that a simple universal overwrite plan is less complicated and I have not seen any issues with any reskin that I have installed, that is 600+ since 2013.

22. ntypeman

Peter...

You sir... are an absolute genius... Thank you so much for your most helpful walkthrough... All good and sorted now!!!

Eric

23. ex-railwayman

ex-railwayman Active Member

Hello Peter, I cannot find anything currently to replicate the pop up that occurs in Utilities.exe, unfortunately, however, I remember it does state if you want to override anything but as I used that function in its infancy, when we first obtained the game, much of what I installed was brand new anyway and there weren't many repaints, around, etc, that amended much under the hood, so to speak.
    I've attached a screenshot of something I installed today, putting a freeware route on that included scenery assets that were bundled up by the creator, as you can see the dates are different and you need to look at whatever it is that you are changing in your game as it can often catch you out, and you can end up installing year's old content over the top of brand new stuff if you are not careful, and vice versa of course. I always check what I'm doing these days as it's so easy to just click your mouse and then regret things when the game crashes and you notice that assets have textures missing, or, whatever, and it takes ages to retrace your steps to see where the problem arose and to rectify it. Alas, too often these days 3rd party creators just put a few words onto a Read Me document and advise players to just merrily install content that overrides what we already have installed, it's not very good IT housekeeping and it shouldn't be encouraged, if folks can't find the time to do things properly and everything is done slapdash then they'll possibly get into trouble in the future if they repeat the same procedure time after time.

Cheerz. Steve. Texture update or not!!!.jpg

24. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

That problem also occurs with some installers and they don't ask if you wish to overwrite the file in the game.

Peter

25. Peter Hayes

Steve
    Excellent points - I will definitely scrutinise the way that I install add-ons from now on.
    Unfortunately as P749 says you may not know you are overwriting newer files eg AP Enhancements/JT - hopefully they use the latest versions of files they are installing.
    Utilities.exe - I will look at that anew - I seem to recall that you get a popup that says that you xx files already installed and then proceeds with the installation any way.
    It is now complicated by the .ap file structure for modifications/add-ons/reskins to DTG DLC - you can't readily modify a texture in the .ap file but any mods placed outside the .ap file will be read first by TS20XX.
    Again I haven't see any issues with any texture in TS200 following the "always overwrite rule".
    Thanks again for the input - food for thought!