Roadmap Release

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by L0-Cache, Aug 9, 2020.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. L0-Cache

L0-Cache New Member

When will the roadmap be published?

2. jasonpfc

jasonpfc Well-Known Member

They said a week before release, so that would be the 13th

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  3. DTG Protagonist

DTG Protagonist Has left the building Staff Member

Nothing inaccurate above, however we'll probably release it for the first time on August 18th - not because it's delayed, although we're still working on the full list of what will be included, and that's going to tie up a lot of time this week. Pushing it to the 18th is a better place for it to live, since it will be updated on Tuesdays (still to be confirmed is whether we will be updating every week, or every other week - we won't know that until after launch as it depends on the speed in which progress is made.)

Suffice to say that it will be out before launch and will, justifiably, be subject to plenty of scrutiny.

• Like Like x 11
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. thundergaming11

thundergaming11 Well-Known Member

And if it isn't or if there are a few hiccups, even if you can't go into detail about it. Please try to let us know. A public roadmap isn't something that's been done before with TS or TSW. I can imagine things can change a lot, week by week. But I appreciate all that you and the team are doing with this :)

• Like Like x 3
  5. fanta1682002

fanta1682002 Well-Known Member

ok thank you

6. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

I understand the desire to be complete. I think this is neither realistic nor desirable. The 13th you know about part of the roadmap, the 18th you know new things and Sept 3th you will know more. So, we should not consider the roadmap as a one time thing. I really hope there will be regular updates. Even though you put things at the roadmap, there still will be disappointments. It's software, and whatever you try, you will achieve less than you like, a score of 90% timely delivery of what is on the roadmap would be great into my opinion. As a product owner I have a lot of experience with IT teams making promises, even on a timescale of two weeks it may be hard to turn promise into reality.

I love the idea of the roadmap, because it may make it easier to involve the community in developments, but do it in small steps.

• Like Like x 1
  7. longo239

longo239 Well-Known Member

Of course it's delayed, the 18th is not a week before release like you repeatedly claimed from the beginning!

If you can't even deliver the list of things you intend to achieve with TSW2 on time, it doesn't look promising that you will be able to deliver on it's content either.

It just continues to add further evidence that as a company you are incapable of keeping to time lines on even the most simple of things.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
    • Like Like x 7
  8. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me and will to most reasonable people I am sure.

• Like Like x 6
  9. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

The fact they’re releasing a road map at all ought to be applauded, regardless of when it is made available. Not many game developers would do this.

• Like Like x 10
  10. longo239

Yeah, let's applaud them for failing to keep another self imposed promise/deadline/commitment/wish/desire (delete as applicable).

• Like Like x 6
  11. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Things get delayed. It’s no big deal. We’ll get it when they are ready to show it. I’m eager to see it as much as anyone else, but getting frustrated at a delay isn’t going to change anything.

• Like Like x 7
  12. thundergaming11

It certainly won't be promises or deadlines. We should expect this roadmap to be fluid. Things will change and there will be times of disappointment. For example Bugs might pop up and they might need prioritising over content. We can't be so quick to criticise when we've yet to see or experience this roadmap in action. But like Sam has said once it's out there it'll be open to scrutiny and I have no doubt it will be.

• Like Like x 4
  13. longo239

I'm not frustrated that it's not being released, it has no effect on my daily life whatsoever. It's purely DTG'S wishlist or whatever they want to call it.

My point is that they can't even manage a list on time. They have repeatedly said that it would be released a week before the release of the game. Then, 10 days before the game release and therefore 3 days before the roadmap should appear, they say it will most probably be 2 days before release, but claim it's not delayed. How is that not delayed?

Why not just say that it's being held back a couple of days. The reasons given are perfectly reasonable. Why add the comment "not because it's delayed" when it clearly is.

If your train is scheduled for 1100 but then you are told it's not going to be there until the 1400. Would you class that as a delay? Would you applaud the train company? Same principle here.

• Like Like x 5
  14. theorganist

Not really, trains are a public service and a late train could cause individuals personal inconvenience. This is a voluntary road map linked to a computer game, where you have the choice to purchase it or not, you might not have the same choice if you are using the train!

• Like Like x 4
  15. thundergaming11

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Ive got no experience in the field but I imagine nothing is ever guaranteed when it comes to delivering a wishlist on time in the gaming development industry. I do agree if something is uncertain it shouldn't be set in stone and made available to our ears and eyes. But this is something Sam has said will improve on and I've personally seen a change how they're delivering and wanting to deliver content in future. We really must try to trust DTG with what gets said re TSW2 but equally understand things can happen last minute and as long as that's communicated to us and not brushed under the carpet hopefully we can keep that trust with them. Sam has explained perfectly why it'll most likely be the 18th. They're still working on it this week and the roadmap will be updated on Tuesdays. Seems reasonable in my opinion.

• Like Like x 4
  16. longo239

I refer you to my initial comment quoted below.

• Like Like x 1
  17. thundergaming11

But it isn't just because its delayed. They've decided to update the roadmap on Tuesdays and have decided to go for next Tuesday as opposed to "a week before release" that was originally said. As I've said things will probably change last minute, especially with roadmaps. This should be reiterated to us when content and dates are announced.

• Like Like x 2
  18. jasonpfc

Does that mean there will be a reduced live stream scheduale this week?

19. DTG Protagonist

Quite the opposite.

As far as Delayed vs Not Delayed - a misunderstanding of what I'd intended to write. It's not being pushed back because there's a delay in getting the information. We'll have it ready to roll this week, but we want to start the process the right way and start training you folks to anticipate updates on Tuesdays.

• Like Like x 7
    • Helpful Helpful x 6
  20. jasonpfc

Looking forward to seeing the line up for this week then.

• Like Like x 2
  21. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

I bet it will be easier to train us to anticipate updates on tuesdays than to train DTG to deliver things on time.

• Like Like x 3
  22. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

There are some people who would probably be better off not reading the roadmap when it starts. The roadmap may contain many things that are subject to change. If you can’t handle the roadmap coming out a few days later than originally planned then you have no chance when something gets another six months added to its timeframe on the roadmap. Avert your eyes and save your sanity.

• Like Like x 11
  23. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

So much this. I commend DTG on the whole roadmap idea in principle, but it'll just be another conduit for complaining.

I think the way they did PIS for Bakerloo is the right strategy tbh- make no mention that it's being worked on, and then, boom- a positive surprise!

I think they're slowly learning lol

• Like Like x 3
  24. matthewbguilford

matthewbguilford Well-Known Member

If only there was a roadmap for the roadmap! Can’t wait to see it, glad they are doing it on the 18th as I’ll be even more excited for TSW2. Plus we want a roadmap that is accurate as possible so why not push it back a couple of days to get it right. I applaud DTG for making a roadmap in the first place with some people taking things a little too serious and can’t wait to see what’s planned for post launch and how it will effect some people if something’s gets pushed back a few days.

• Like Like x 9
  25. longo239

Ah right, it's not delayed it's being pushed back! Or was that it's not being pushed back? But it's still going to be later than initially stated? Now I am confused.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  26. matthewbguilford

Simple terms- DTG will update on Tuesday’s which is why the roadmap will be released on a Tuesday.

• Like Like x 3
  27. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

I do hope you folks realise this roadmap will only contain the release schedule of the TSW1 routes into TSW2's preserved collection ? At least until all the routes (bar the NEC) are in....

Honestly, I do not see any reason to be hyped for this roadmap just yet...until there are plans for new / non preserved TSW1 content in TSW2

• Like Like x 1
  28. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

The roadmap should contain more than that unless they’ve had a change of heart on what it is all about and are only going to include things that are imminent. In the FAQ it says it will contain info on new TSW2 releases.

• Like Like x 6
  29. thundergaming11

Was this confirmed by DTG? I don't remember seeing or hearing it'll only be for preserved collection initially. If that was the case then wouldnt it be better to release a roadmap once all the preserved collections are in?

30. bart2day

bart2day Well-Known Member

Then why not release it today? Today is a Tuesday. Sam said it’s all ready to go. It would reflect better on DTG if they actually surprised us with it being early than late. If they can’t even deliver the roadmap on time, what’s the chances of the stuff on the roadmap being delivered on time?

• Like Like x 2
  31. DTG Protagonist

The information is ready, the presentation (and explanations of what it all means) are still doing the rounds of internal folk to make sure everyone's happy.

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 3
  32. thundergaming11

Because they're still working on the "full" list this week. I'd imagine there's a bunch of other stuff going on in the background too and I'm guessing releasing the roadmap might not be as simple as pressing a button. A date nor time was never set in stone for this roadmap other than "a week before release" that was said a while ago but even so there wasnt a mention of a precise date. I don't think a few days out than what everyone expected of release of the roadmap is much of an issue.

• Like Like x 2
  33. theorganist

Neither do I, but there are some who will be determined to find an issue. When the roadmap is released, they will find an issue with what is on it, if they can't find an issue with what is on it, they will find an issue somewhere else. Eventually it will come down to the fact that Matt is not wearing the correct coloured socks!

Business is not the perfect world some on here seem to think it is. Deadlines get missed, decisions get changed, costs change, you can make all the plans you want but implementing them is not nearly as easy as sitting at your keyboard typing a paragraph saying "DTG are useless blah, blah, blah".

• Like Like x 3
  34. LucasLCC

LucasLCC Well-Known Member

I think the point being made previously is that we are being told it's not delayed, just will be coming later than planned.

Personally I couldn't care less that it's delayed, but it seems strange for us to be told "it's not being delayed"

• Like Like x 3
  35. longo239

Exactly right on both points.

Why try and use politicians answers, by saying it's not delayed, it's being pushed back, it won't be a week before release it will now be 2 days before release.

Why didn't Sam's original post just say the roadmap has been delayed or put back for the reasons he gave, which are perfectly reasonable.

If they claim they are going to be open with us then just be honest, it's going to be delayed, simple. Don't try and BS us like some amateur politician.

• Like Like x 3
  36. matthewbguilford

AD6F2917-28E2-49BD-9CE8-5016084EFC20.jpeg

• Like Like x 5
  37. thundergaming11

It's ready. Relax. Make most of the good weather (if you live in the UK) and come back Tuesday.

• Like Like x 6
  38. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Are you going to buy TSW2?

You started a poll asking us all that question shortly after the announcement of the game, in which you yourself voted ‘no’. You have since changed that to ‘possibly, eventually’ - When you actually buy it on the release day will that be an amateur politician’s U-turn or were your poll votes just an amateur politician’s BS?

Asking for a friend.

• Like Like x 6
  39. longo239

No, won't buy it on release day because as with most new software, it will no doubt have it's issues. I will wait and see what the critics say because they will give a more truthful opinion and then make a judgement on when to purchase.

40. longo239

[removed by Protagonist - inappropriate]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2020
  41. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

In that case, the roadmap could come out after release and it wouldn’t matter to you. So that begs the question as to why you are giving Sam such a hard time over it coming out a few days later. It just doesn’t make sense for you to do that over something you claim not to be bothered about. I know you have been very critical of almost everything TSW2 but maybe this isn’t the thing to be getting so worked up about. Wait until there is an actual issue that matters.

EDIT - I’ve just seen your totally inappropriate response to someone else above. I think I get it now.

• Like Like x 8
  42. matthewbguilford

[removed by Protagonist - only going to create an argument]

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  43. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I think you’re starting to lose the plot a bit. It’s a game at the end of the day. Something to be enjoyed.

• Like Like x 6
  44. jasonpfc

If you dont give a... then why are you spitting your dummy out about it?

A rather immature ending to your comment

• Like Like x 5
  45. longo239

[removed by Protagonist - you know better than that]

• Like Like x 1
  46. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

Okay guys lets try to keep this on topic and civil otherwise this could end very bad, so lets not provoke the Protagnist in closing the thread.

• Like Like x 5
  47. Stockton Rails

Stockton Rails Well-Known Member

I’m totally ok with pushing this roadmap off another few days... heck, as someone else already said here, I’m just excited about the prospect of having visibility into their devel roadmap right now! Things seem to be heading in a better direction these days in terms of DTG and their customers, and I appreciate their effort in this space... and they absolutely should be held accountable on key issues. But delaying the initial roadmap a few days isn’t one of them... it’s small potatoes in my book. I’m more interested in things like keeping the roadmap up to date, prioritizing things correctly, consistently making progress on it, and working on issues and features that benefit the players. And if DTG consistently delivers on all of that moving forward, I’ll be a pretty happy customer.

• Like Like x 8
  48. matthewbguilford

[removed by Protagonist - continuing the argument]

• Like Like x 1
  49. theorganist

[removed by Protagonist - continuing the argument]

• Like Like x 2
  50. Louis-MTA NYCTA

Louis-MTA NYCTA Well-Known Member

Come on people, Now everything is so off topic. The main topic of this thread is about the road map. The community manager (DTG Protagonist) has already announced the release date and explained very clearly how it will be taken with a grain a salt. If you don't like the idea of a road map of updates and features to come simply don't click on it, Avert your eyes as Stujoy said above. Please let's all be civil and not post and cursing or swears here. That is were things turn for the worst and nobody wants that.

• Like Like x 10
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.