Severn Valley Line (not Preserved)

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by theorganist, Aug 13, 2020.

1. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

Whilst the Severn Valley is known and loved as a preserved railway, I have always felt it would make a great period route in the sim. The 40 miles or so from the county town of Shrewsbury to the market town of Kidderminster and the link through Stourport on Severn to Hartlebury are quite varied in scenery and have some interesting towns on route, Ironbridge and Broseley, Bridgnorth and Bewdley as well as smaller stations serving villages along the route.

As well as local passenger and freight there were the collieries at Highley and Alveley and it was sometimes used as a through route, troop trains in particular I believe. The power station branch at Stourport could also be provided.

There are also some interesting branches, the line from Bewdley to Tenbury and Wooferton Junction on the Shrewsbury to Hereford line and the lines to Wellington and Craven Arms (the latter known for some steep gradients). The Ditton Priors branch from Cleobury Mortimer would also be an interesting light railway to include.

It would of course be ideal for all the GWR/WR stock we have although I think Halls may have been the largest permitted engines over the lines back in the day. GWR railcars and BR bubble cars were also used.

I think it would be great to see this well known heritage line bought to life as what it once was.

• Like Like x 1
  2. TicoXotaR

TicoXotaR New Member

I use to live in Kidderminster and i visted the SVR quite a lot and have travelled the preserved route! Indeed the connection from Bridgnorth - Shrewsbury is sadly lost to History and part of the triangle junction from Hartlebury - Bewdley via Stourport.
    I am fully on board with the full SVR line being on TS!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ardaeshir

Ardaeshir Well-Known Member

This is a cool suggestion, I'd be ok with both the historical and preserved variants of the route.

• Like Like x 1