PlayStation Bakerloo Observations

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Mattty May, Aug 13, 2020.

1. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Here are my initial observations following the Bakerloo Line Gameplay Stream...
    1. Passengers are broken and seem filled with divine light.
    2. Lots of passengers staying on the train when they should be off it.
    3. The train in external view doesn’t seem to be moving all that fast, though this might be due to the relatively low speeds on the line.
    4. In Bakerloo Driver Training videos on YouTube, you can make out the tracks in the tunnel. You can’t in the game.
    5. The lighting seems much better than TSW 2020.
    6. That said, lighting in the tunnels is a bit too dark. In the driver training videos on YouTube, you can see the ribbing/plating of the tunnels.
    7. There are no blue counting boards as you leave the stations, which I’ve noticed on the underground lines.
    8. I think it’s a shame the Kilburn High Road sidings are not included. This is a seemingly important siding for turning trains around at Queen’s Park when the are coming into Queen’s Park from the North and returning that way.
    9. The motion of the train seemed off, I can’t put my finger on the reason, it just seems off.
    10. Train sounds whilst as a passenger barely audible.
    11. The whistle doesn’t sound true to life.
    12. It looks bloody fun!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  2. KyleL

KyleL Well-Known Member

Yeah it was nice But some bugs

3. Samo1

Samo1 Well-Known Member

Passengers STILL on trains after the last station, surly basic things like this shouldn’t carry over to a new game!

• Like Like x 7
  4. TheTipsyRaccoon

TheTipsyRaccoon Well-Known Member

Completely agree with the visibility in tunnels being too low. Although the tube trains I drove in tunnels were 25 years younger than the ‘72 stock, the headlights still weren’t remarkable and the tunnel is far more visible than they’ve made it.

• Like Like x 2
  5. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I think it looked okay. I wasn’t expecting the holy grail of train simulator routes and as such it pretty much matched my expectations. I was expecting better sounds though. There wasn’t any clattering going over junctions for instance. The stations look very good. Gameplay will be much as I expected too. The controller looks fun to use and the quick stops will require lots of practice. Looking forward to playing it still, although maybe not as much as I am looking forward to the ICE route. And of course I still hate the text in the HUD. Just the livery designer and Sand Patch to see now.

I’ve always found the DTG streams to be too high contrast on youtube, with dark bits tending to appear totally black, so I can’t tell what the lighting will be like in the tunnels from the stream.

• Like Like x 2
  6. DTG Protagonist

DTG Protagonist Has left the building Staff Member

The current passenger system leaves a lot to be desired. There aren't enough passengers, their pathing is not good, they're prone to "strange" behaviour and there isn't enough variety in passenger model. Also, nobody has a phone, or luggage, or requires assistance to board the train... There is a lot of work to do on passengers before they come close to helping with overall immersion.

As with many other things, it's on the list of upgrades we want to do but time is rarely on our side.

• Like Like x 7
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  7. Samo1

Samo1 Well-Known Member

I’m not a programmer so obviously don’t know the ins and outs of coding but surly removing passengers at the end of a route is a line of code or am I wrong, all the passenger upgrades you mention will add so much to the experience but when the most basic fault carries over from one game to the next it’s disappointing especially as this was a known fault/bug long ago, obviously this is not a deal breaker but it shows lack of polish, erasing bugs needs to be first on the agenda even over additional content and upgrades, releasing software with known faults really is not a good look for DTG, discovering bugs AFTER release is one thing, releasing with long term known bugs Is a strange decision in my opinion

• Like Like x 6
  8. jeanmarc094

jeanmarc094 Well-Known Member

my concern is mainly with the headlights in the tunnel. the tunnels are too dark. i hope for some brightness. other than that, route looks fun

9. jeanmarc094

jeanmarc094 Well-Known Member

my main concern are lights in the tunnel. to dark

10. richard cooper

richard cooper Active Member

There didn't appear to be any cab sway, unless that had been turned off in settings. I obviously have never driven an underground train, but I would have thought the rails and tunnel walls would be visible, the stream looked like a hover train in the darkness of the tunnel, but hey what do I know.

• Like Like x 1
  11. 4-COR

4-COR Well-Known Member

Rewatching it now, there appears to be some cab sway, but it's VERY minor.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Dave Mel

Dave Mel Well-Known Member

although DTG said this was not the finished article, i agree with the people above about the lighting in the tunnels, as i have seen youtube vids of underground training. the lighting in the tunnels is wrong and in the vids the rails can clearly be seen in the tunnels.

as for the passengers work still needs to be done on them
    as for the route i was impressed especially with the PIS

• Like Like x 1
  13. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

So, having watched the stream again, this time on my gaming TV rather than my iPad, I have some further observations to make.
    1. There is no control tower at Stonebridge Depot.
    2. The lighting in the tunnels is very poor and in no way compares to recent screenshots we were shown of the signals in the tunnels.
    3. Some speed limit signs in the tunnels cannot be read - especially on the right hand side of the tunnel. By the time they emerge from the darkness they have been passed by the train.
    4. There are no T Boards in the tunnels.
    5. There are no diamond stopping markers.
    6. The train movement stutters quite a bit. I don’t know if this was Matt’s Laptop or Frame rate issues.
    7. The sound through my TV (which uses a sound bar) didn’t sound as good as it did through my iPad.
    8. The sound missing from inside the train needs urgent attention.
    9. The train still doesn’t seem to move as fast as it does in real life. Comparing to Bakerloo Line videos on YouTube including cab ride, the train seems very slow in comparison.
    10. No mention of trains being able to leave London Road Depot and go to Elephant & Castle, which I’m sure would be a thing in real life or passengers at E&C would have to wait until the trains advanced throughout the route.
    11. The graphics/textures/designs on this route in particular feel rather cartoony. They don’t feel as real or as immersive.
    12. It still looks bloody fun!

• Like Like x 4
  14. TheTipsyRaccoon

TheTipsyRaccoon Well-Known Member

This is a good point and I went and looked it up because it seems silly if that’s not a move in real life. Turns out it’s done every day and would be something different and interesting for people to do on a sim game.

You come out of the sidings onto the northbound, past the crossover and stop at the limit of shunt board. Change ends and take a green signal back over the crossover and into the southbound platform at Lambeth North where you’d enter service.

• Like Like x 3
  15. matthewbguilford

matthewbguilford Well-Known Member

Being the first real underground route for the TSW franchise I think they did a great job and I hope it opens up the opportunity to create something like the German U-Bahn. also a cool video on YouTube.

• Like Like x 2
  16. RealKenny_D

RealKenny_D Member

Looks like a great route and quite demanding to stay on time. Emerging from the tunnel at Queens Park was a welcome respite, scenery looks great. So I quite like the choice of route for this reason, best of both. Did I spot a slight tech hitch with the whistle sound? Unless my ears are on the wrong way. The low note was higher than the high note. Maybe a tooltip error, or my perception of sound.

17. Wilfboy

Wilfboy Active Member

If Station = Last Station on route
    .....Tell Passengers
    ..........Get off train
    .....End Tell
    End

• Like Like x 3
  18. Samo1

Samo1 Well-Known Member

Spot on, simples

19. Patrick Kolinski

Patrick Kolinski Active Member

So why you release a new game with all these bugs on it? And can't work to share something new at all???

• Like Like x 2
  20. ferriso2001

ferriso2001 New Member

It would appear that over the years, they've 'coded themselves' into corners. Thus, what might be considered legitimate and simple requests by patient users, are in fact 'fixes' that will never materialise because the necessary time required makes development financially unviable.

Perhaps calling an incremental development by a new name (and thereby, in effect marketing a new game ie. TWS2020 and now TSW2) is a bit disingenuous. I suspect that it would be perhaps to everyones benefit, if a rolling subscription method of payment was adopted. Nevertheless, I'm glad that someone has taken up the challenge to 'do' a console train sim. (Just more pre 1990s BR for me please. Anyone for a Class 55 down from KGX to say PBO' or even better, GRA... followed by an 'up 43'? Hmm... Stoke Tunnel, High D y k e and an A4).:cool:

edited... due to profanity filter!

Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  21. simonjonnemeth

simonjonnemeth New Member

Is no-one going to mention the tunnels being modelled completely wrong for the Bakerloo line?

• Like Like x 1
  22. KyleL

KyleL Well-Known Member

I don't think people knew that or didn't care.But interesting

• Like Like x 1
  23. simonjonnemeth

simonjonnemeth New Member

I didn't notice my self until one YouTuber I was watching noticed immediately as he entered the tunnels and was particularly disappointed by it. Now I know it'll certainly bug me a bit.

24. finklaar

finklaar New Member

Just started at TSW2 Bakerloo and the driving seems odd. When I'm at parrallel ('full throttle') and throttle back to serial or even shunt the train keeps accelerating at the same rate. But when I throttle back to idle and then advance to serial I do not get the same power. Is it intended that power depends on the level you're coming from, is thsi a bug or is this the 'new level of realism'???

25. Northerner

Northerner Well-Known Member

I have experienced the same. I know on older London Underground stock, to reduce the power, eg going from Parallel to Series, you had to power off, then power back up. I'm pretty sure this was the same on many early mainline EMUs as well and is the case on the 1938 stock that runs on the Isle of Wight. But saying that, I can't remember ever hearing this was the case on the 1972 stock, so maybe someone more knowledgeable can say.

• Like Like x 2
  26. ZeenozPlays

ZeenozPlays Well-Known Member

On older trains in general, even the M3 is like this.

• Like Like x 1
  27. BlkTedRock

BlkTedRock New Member

Great points everyone, one other observation that I notice the time and date on the map should reflect on real time depending on what train, and city, state or country you in instead of just “Thursday, April 2 0530. Trains is a 24hrs a day operation driven more then seven days a week including holidays.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  28. finklaar

finklaar New Member

So this is realistic, intended behaviour. Thanks for the enlightment!

• Like Like x 1