Upper Hud/display Improvement

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Wilfboy, Aug 16, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Wilfboy

Wilfboy Active Member

The following is regarding the information (the times in particular) shown at the top left of the screen during play.

TSW HUD.jpg

The L/H picture shows the current time and the time of expected arrival which, for some reason, is shown twice. Is the one after the station name really needed?

On opening the doors, (R/H picture) the arrival time on the left is blanked out but I feel this could be put to better use by…
    1. Keeping the expected arrival time visible so that you can see if you were early/on time/late. As you are busy stopping the train at this point you may have missed this.

2. Better still, show how many minutes and seconds you are early or late by. This could be shown with a plus or minus sign or perhaps using a red or green font colour (red for late).
    You could even alternate the display between points 1 & 2 every 5 seconds for example?

Does anyone else agree?

• Like Like x 10
  2. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I agree with what you say. That would be great use of that space.

It does look untidy with the dots there when there isn’t an arrival time, and there’s no need for the arrival time twice, but that’s not what pops out to me in that layout....

Look how incredibly tiny the distance left to go is. That’s essential information and needs to be much bigger. Actually that doesn’t quite cover it. MUCH BIGGER, that’s better.

• Like Like x 5
  3. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

Why the unnecessary icon ?
    We don’t need the giant bent arrow and bullseye, it just adds to screen clutter.
    If you can’t understand “Stop At”, you shouldn’t be playing this game.

4. Knightfire1964

Knightfire1964 Well-Known Member

on friday Q&A i could be wrong though sam said he used the smaller version which is understandable if he was on a laptop

• Like Like x 1
  5. KyleL

KyleL Well-Known Member

Sam doesn't use a laptop but he used that type of HUD for something

6. Knightfire1964

oh no idiot me meant matt not sam hahah

• Like Like x 1
  7. Wilfboy

Wilfboy Active Member

Agreed, replace the unwanted arrival time after the station name with the distance left to go, but as you say, bigger!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Knightfire1964

well i'm going to wait and see once i see how the size compares to actually concentrating driving and having the game on my tv but i think they know that we want the font bigger or at least clearer and more readable at a glance

• Like Like x 2
  9. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

10. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

Please whinge more.
    That large ball is clumsy and harder to read than the crossbar was.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

This seven segment for to show the time is very artistic but annoying from the perspective of usability. I think after the release we should give it a try and then create a topic in the Suggestions forum for improvements. I think the new HUD is more informative than the old one, but the UI design is to fancy. This is something many UI designers do not understand well.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Bob12212

Bob12212 Well-Known Member

This there anyway to turn this part of the HUD off?

13. raretrack

raretrack Well-Known Member

After arrival, why not just show the departure time instead of the blank dashes? That's the next time that matters.

• Like Like x 1
  14. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

There really is no need for that yellow circle to be there, as it should be up to the driver as to when is the appropriate time to shut the doors. Not the game telling you the yellow bar hasn’t filled in completely, so you have to unlock and lock the doors again for the sake of the yellow circle to be completely filled in.

• Like Like x 3
  15. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

I would be happy if they just remove that grey background it has by a transparent one. It covers half of the screen for nothing. In most cases it sits in the place of lineside signals if you drive british locomotives or cab speedometers in the case of some american engines. We should be able to configure the size and transparency of that thing.

Cheers