Paired Up Trains

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Mattty May, Aug 17, 2020.

1. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I really dislike it when train operating companies pair two trains together to increase capacity.

I think it looks a smidge ugly.

If they needed increased capacity, why not just order longer trains in the first place?

I know it comes down to money etc, but surely operating two trains in a paired configuration is more expensive than just having extra carriages to start with.

What are your thoughts on this?

2. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

The key thing here is that it’s done to increase the capacity when needed. When the extra capacity isn’t needed it is cheaper to run a shorter train. When the extra capacity is needed in times of high demand they can easily couple two together. Hauling empty coaches around unnecessarily when demand is low is a huge waste of energy and money. This is a bigger concern to train operators than a train that looks nice.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

It’s just me thinking about aesthetics lol.

4. SHINO BAZ

SHINO BAZ Well-Known Member

What kind of pair ups do you mean,(double talents,ice trains,class 101's,db 422/425,)?

5. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Yeah, basically any train that is doubled up. It’s just a personal grievance of mine, but nothing major in the grand scheme of things.

6. olikas.g

olikas.g Member

I don't like when a locomotive like DB class 182 hauls passenger carriages. The gap between the first carriage and the loco breaks the beauty. The same applies to virtually any locomotive and double floor passenger carriage. I'd rather have two ICE's or Class 166 paired up. But I agree a multiple unit designed as a whole always wins.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
    • Like Like x 1