Real Horn Use, According To Different Countries Rules

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by grdaniel48, Aug 17, 2020.

1. grdaniel48

grdaniel48 Well-Known Member

As I noticed on the last 2 gameplays, Matt liked to make the horn of the train sound several times, I create this thread, in order to know and share the real rules for horn use on different countries.

These are what I know, after seeing lot of real trains videos, or readings:

> USA:
    Railroad crossings: 2 long, 1 short and 1 final long one blast. Really loud sound!
    The last one, must sound until the locomotive be on the crossing.
    Usually on all locomotives, the bell also start to sound too, when engineer press the horn button, and the ditching lights - if equipped - are turned on automatically.

There are exceptions to these rule, on what is defined as a Quiet Zone.
    Locations must require this condition, but must have enough warnings on railroad crossings.

Other situation is usually when arriving at stations, locomotives sounds it bells continuously until it stop. And use it again when departing the station.

On tunnels too.

Of course also use the horn, where there are railroad workers on the tracks or nearby areas.

> GERMANY:
    On this country the use of the horn is really limited.
    I noticed only use it just when entering a tunnel or going out.
    Also when there are workers on the nearby rails. I believe
    Even the sound of the horn is really low.

> FRANCE
    There they have a really special situation.
    They use the horn, when are crossing another train, but when they are almost finishing the cross with it.
    Tunnels also.

Please provide the information you have about it on your country, or even add comments about what I mentioned.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  2. HamioSamio098

HamioSamio098 Well-Known Member

From the top of my head (UK horn experts please correct me!) train drivers would sound their horn, or whistle, when there is a whistle board, railway workers, or someone being an idiot eg: standing way to close to the line. They would also 'give us a toot' when we ask for it by waving or some other gesture for example, one that looks like you are pulling a chord of a steam train whistle.

3. JonnE

JonnE Well-Known Member

And not even at tunnels the horns are in regular use.
    Basically there are only two scenarios for regular horn use here:
    - As you said as a warning for nearby workers (in terms of a 'Langsamfahrstelle' - temporary slow speed zone due to works)
    - before railway crossings without gates - then there are one or two 'P' signs before. This can be witnessed in many heritage railways here and is very rare on main lines (for obvious reasons).
    - maybe some of our other german members can correct me as I was 'out of the scene' for several years, but in my mind this would be it. In any other cases the horn would be used as a danger warning.
    But I also was in deep conviction that freight trains here would still be limited to 100 km/h than the actual 120 so maybe... :D

4. Paulo_1997

Paulo_1997 Active Member

I don't know exactly about the use of horns, but sometimes I sit in a 430 and while going through a tunnel, the driver honks. Also I witnessed some trains "greeting" each other from time to time, which makes me smile every time.

I am also concerned about the speed of freight trains though I'm informed, that you need a special permission in case you want to operate at higher speed.

5. JonnE

JonnE Well-Known Member

At our local railway there is a short tunnel where the trains don't honk when passing by. Maybe it's location related? We have to search DSO for that ;)

I did some research at DB cargo recently where they listed all of their freight waggons as 120 km/h operable speed. This might have been updated over the years (there was a wheel / brake upgrade during the last 5-10 years I suppose) so that seems to be the regular speed now... I always thought only the wagon types with a 'ss' - ending would be capable of that. :)

6. Olaf the Snowman

Olaf the Snowman Well-Known Member

UK

First thing you need to understand is what types of horn sounds you have. A lot of traction have 2 tones: “High tone” and “Low tone” sound. For example, the HST, turbo and electrostar on TSW.
    But there are some traction like the Voyagers/Meridians (Class 22x) which have 4 tones: “High Loud,” “Low Loud”, “High Soft” and “Low Soft.” See attachment (not my photo). Generally speaking, the High and Low Soft tones are redundant and won’t be used.
    Lastly, there are some traction with a “Whistle” such as the electrostar (Class 377) on the East Coastway Route. Again, this is redundant. The only time I could see this being is used is in or around a depot/shed but it wouldn’t surprise me if company working instructions specified drivers not to use it. To be clear, the whistle would not be used for a whistle board.

Now, let’s discuss when and how you would use the horn.
    1. Whistle board: 1 short blast on the Low (Loud) tone. The Whistle board only applies between 0600-2359.
    2. Warning to anyone on or near the line (I.e. track workers): 1 short blast on the High (Loud) tone followed by 1 short blast on the Low (Loud) tone. The track workers should acknowledge your horn by raising their arm and then moving to a position of safety at least 10 seconds before you pass.
    3. Urgent warning to anyone dangerously near the line: Series of short blasts on the High (Loud) tone. For example, if you see track workers in the distance working near your line, you give a warning as normal (see number 2 in this list) but they don’t move.
    4. Around a depot or sidings: 1 short blast on the Low (Soft) tone. This also includes when entering a shed at a depot. So the rulebook instruction is to stop at the shed doors. Give a short blast of the horn and proceed if safe to do so.
    5. Wrong direction movement: Series of short blasts at frequent intervals on the High (Loud) tone. For example, if you were travelling between Lewes and Falmer and there is a broken down train in front of you so the signaller asks you to switch ends and drive back towards Lewes- an unsignalled move for most of it. Note that, travelling on a bidirectional line in the opposite direction to normal direction doesn’t count.
    6. Emergency: Continuous series of long blasts of high/low tones on horn which is called the “train in distress” signal. For example, if you were driving along and saw some cows on the line, you would give the distress signal to any oncoming trains in the hope that the drivers notices and stops his/her train. (There are other ways as well of giving a distress signal such as displaying a red light/flag, using hazard warning indicators and of course giving an emergency call to the signaller)
    7. To let the signaller know you’re clear of the points: Give one short blast of the horn. To be honest, this is kind of redundant now and more historical. Nevertheless, this is still in the rulebook.
    These are the main reasons why the horn would be used. There are other unofficial reasons such as for trainspotters. Also for number 2, out of courtesy, to acknowledge the track workers once they’ve raised their arms, you may give another toot of the horn.

Where I’ve put (Soft) or (Loud) in brackets, this applies to traction which have four tones (I.e. separate loud and soft tones) as I described at the start. For traction that only have 2 tones, you can ignore this as it is Loud.

If the horn doesn’t work at all then maximum speed of train is 20mph
    If the horn partially works (I.e. one tone works) then maximum speed is 100mph
    - although this can vary depending on traction. For example, on a HST if High tone works then there is no restriction.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 5
  7. grdaniel48

grdaniel48 Well-Known Member

JonnE,
    Your comments were almost what I mentioned.
    On videos I never see a crossing without gate, so I did not mentioned that.
    But it is really good on Germany it is not need to sound the horn due to drivers respects the rules on crossings, and people who lives close the rails, could have a silent life!... ;)

In my country, it is being building now, a completely new line, with the latest rail technology, including welded rails and concrete ties, - yes nothing new for a first world country! - and this line will be operated mainly for a Finland paper mill company, but the railroad will be operated by a german company!
    So I am really excited about it!

8. JonnE

JonnE Well-Known Member

It's not very common indeed, many of the railway crossings here also have gates on both lanes of the road to avoid crossing.
    Unfortunately especially where this is not the case there are some accidents as well.
    This (amongst other reasons like too many traffic jams) caused a rebuilt of many railroad crossings at main lines some years ago. Most of them are now crossed by bridges and short tunnels instead.
    The horn use would indeed cause a massive rage by the nearby inhabitants - we're even having quite a debate about forbidding motorcycles on sundays :D

This sounds quite interesting! But I can assure you - aside of our mainlines we still have some lines where welded rails and concrete ties would be quite an improvement :D