Xbox Partially Resolved - Do Not Open Tsw 2020 With Tsw 2 Installed

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Bryer, Aug 20, 2020.

1. Bryer

Bryer Well-Known Member

Folks,

Huge bug.

If you have TSW 2020 installed and install TSW2 and then open 2020, it will remove TSW2 from installed games list and cause you to have to reinstall it.

Quite annoying.

UPDATE 25/08 - TSW 2020 update released and both games will now run fine. However it might appear that Preserved routes in TSW 2, remove themselves from the TSW 2020 installation, as the best experience you can get with them is in TSW 2. I can confirm that when the patch installed, the East Coastway on TSW 2 was temporarily removed, and I had to reinstall it, it was on the hard disk so no redownload, but it disappeared in TSW 2020 route selection screen but was still installed inside the TSW 2020 folder.

UPDATE 2 25/08 - Redownloaded and reinstalled East Coastway for TSW 2020, it now appears in the TSW 2020 route selection screen, but it has removed itself again from the TSW 2 selection screen. So I'm going to remove it from TSW 2020. I'm imagining this will happen with all the preserved routes as they get added to TSW 2.

TrainSim-Matt DTG Protagonist TrainSim-Steve TrainSim-Adam

Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  2. markpeters69

markpeters69 New Member

Thanks for that.

Would like to play the game without it crashing all the time

• Like Like x 1
  3. shaneycook16

shaneycook16 New Member

Are you sure it not a fault with your Xbox ??? it wich case you should contact Microsoft. im only suggesting that as it sound to be a fault out side TSW

4. BBIAJ

BBIAJ Well-Known Member

I can confirm this is a thing, just reinstalling everything now...

EDIT: Luckily it only took away some DLCs, but still, this shouldn't really be happening all the same.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
  5. Bryer

Bryer Well-Known Member

While I hoped not, it's confirmed my Xbox is not faulty. It would appear that TSW2 and TSW 2020 share the same launching file, which confuses the operating system and rightly limits itself to have only one instance of the same file name. Won't take much to fix it by the looks of it, just means that I can only use a few of my routes until they become available in Preserved mode.

6. shaneycook16

shaneycook16 New Member

Are you haveing issues with the livery desing

7. Bryer

Bryer Well-Known Member

Define issues? Working fine here, just going to take some getting used too.

8. shaneycook16

shaneycook16 New Member

On the text section is things placing hen it not ment to be

9. TrainSim-Steve

TrainSim-Steve Senior Producer Staff Member

Hi Bryer,

Thanks for flagging the re-installation issue - I've escalated this internally for further action.

Best, Steve

• Like Like x 4
  10. L89

L89 Well-Known Member

Make sure you have enhanced error reporting turned on (in the Xbox settings). I believe this helps devs by sending diagnostic information when it crashes.

11. D3VILDOG8541

D3VILDOG8541 Active Member

Wish I would've seen this 'Before' I started downloading TSW2!!! The install crashes my ongoing game in TSW2020 when the main TSW2 file completed. I was 2/3 through a full route when it crashed. So, I got no credit for any progress at all. To add insult to injury I went to start my shiny new TSW2 game up & all files were gone. Please fix this A.S.A.P. Guys. I don't plan on waiting for the preserved trains to come online in TSW2 & sacrificing not playing all my other routes/trains. Big Oversight!!!

• Like Like x 2
  12. L89

L89 Well-Known Member

Issue happening with me. This really should be a high priority fix because some of us are still doing progress in TSW 2020 and TSW 2 is using the TSW 2020 save file slot.

What happens:

1. Open TSW 2020 with TSW 2 installed on the same storage.
    2. TSW 2 disappears.
    3. Re-install TSW 2 from Microsoft Store. Instantly appears again (have to do same for add-ons).
    4. "IsPreindexed" value in the game info changes to true for TSW 2020 when you open TSW 2.

I'm now worried save data may be at risk of corruption. The save data gets removed from TSW 2020 (when you look at the manage game area of it on the Xbox home) and then gets put in the TSW 2 game once installed. So these are sharing the same save data? What if TSW 2 is making changes to that save which could impact TSW 2020 progress (like collectables, passenger load achievements etc).

On Xbox One, Microsoft don't allow you to transfer saves to a USB so if it gets corrupted or glitched progress you can't do anything other than start over.

It's also causing intermittent freezing in TSW 2020. So I think we're going to have to put one of them on external storage and unplug that when playing one of the games. The two games it's like they're being merged together and using assets from each other.

This game should be treated as a completely separate game from TSW 2020. That currently is NOT the case on Xbox One. :mad:

Edit: It appears it makes a different save data slot but you still see your TSW 2020 save in it when you go to manage game of TSW2. So hopefully the save data are separated?

• Like Like x 1
  13. D3VILDOG8541

I didn't even think about the saved game data. I had each game loaded on seperate drives(1 on internal & the other on external ssd). It crashed current TSW2020 game in progress & then wiped the new files for TSW2. I went to boot 2020 back up & now I'm experiencing freezing & crashing in game. Looks like we'll have to choose which version we want to play. If you want to play any of your TSW2020 game, definitely DO NOT try to install & play TSW2 until this is fixed!!! This is Extremly Frustrating!

14. L89

L89 Well-Known Member

I know. It's a little disconcerting to see TSW 2020 save data being placed under TSW 2. I edited the post and it appears it does make another save slot but still you see the older game save data slot showing in TSW 2.

Hopefully they can assure us these save data are completely independent of each other and only get used by the correct game. I've spent hundreds of hours in TSW 2020.

Right now, although I can't do anything about saves, I will uninstall TSW 2 to make sure none of its assets are in TSW 2020 (as it instantly reinstalls meaning the files are still there), then transfer TSW 2020 and all its add-ons to external storage (moving it and making sure it is uninstalled on internal), then install TSW 2 again so it will only ever be TSW 2 assets on internal, then unplug the external. What a day, lol.

• Like Like x 1
  15. mkennaway

mkennaway Well-Known Member

Yep same issue here, getting more fed up by the second with this game

16. D3VILDOG8541

What a day indeed! I've spent more time trying to reconfigure my games for them to play then actually playing! Let's hope the Devs are hot on this one.

• Like Like x 1
  17. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

Is this purely an Xbox related issue or are PS4 players also getting this issue?

18. L89

L89 Well-Known Member

OK, I am certain that although TSW 2020 save data shows up in the manage game area of TSW 2, it does not interfere with it. I deleted it from the console only (save data still in cloud) and TSW 2 never did a cloud download of the save data when I opened it. It only creates its own save data although it will show both saves within the manage game area if you were to go back and play TSW 2020.

So I expect the save data locations will get sorted once they work out how to isolate these games from one another (so that you can freely switch between them).

19. OnlyMe1909

OnlyMe1909 Well-Known Member

TrainSim-Steve: can you please confirm if this is a xbox only issue or if PS4 is also affected. I'm on PS4 and I'm affraid to re-open TSW2020 now....

• Like Like x 1
  20. wongraven1

wongraven1 New Member

Bart, don’t open 2020 on PS4. I did and TSW2 no longer loads after two fresh reinstalls. I even uninstalled 2020.
    I now have only 2020 installed and am sticking to that for the time being.

21. OnlyMe1909

Thanks for confirming, wongraven1

DTG: this should be priority nr 1 in your problems list !!!

22. D3VILDOG8541

Yep,so I cannot get TSW2 &TSW2020 to co-exist. I've tried multiple times to reinstall & run them separately from their own drives. The last one resulted in locking my entire system up & it, uninstalling TSW2 & corrupting TSW2020 making them both unplayable. This is complete BS!!!
    Yet, not a chirp from Dovetail about this Fatal Error!!!

23. wongraven1

wongraven1 New Member

Bart, quick update. You’ve probably seen the Playstation Crash Fix post from the developers in which they mention deleting the corrupt Scenario save file. Well I did have a play with the scenario editor and subsequently the file was there. I have deleted it and now, at least for the moment, both versions are running fine. Guess we’ll have to stay clear of the editor for the time being.

24. OnlyMe1909

Yeah, over in the PS forum a few others told me they had no problem switching between the two games, so that has set my mind at ease a bit. Still, before I try to go back to TSW 2020, I'm gonna make sure to upload all my savefiles from both games to the PS cloud.

25. JonnE

JonnE Well-Known Member

With the stream up ahead and no further reaction until now could you at least give us a hint what we as users can do to keep the damage as minimal as possible?

I think we all understand that this might be not so easy to solve since it's probably more a fault of MS but this is a very huge issue for us and a little workaround to keep our data alive would be very much appreciated.

I personally did not start TSW2020 TSW2020 after the first encounter of this issue- since there's pretty much to do in TSW2 (which I enjoy very much) and with only 1-2 hours a day this is not so much of an issue for me.. for now. But as we can't be sure if even our new TSW2 progress is at risk a short I would be grateful for a short statement.

And by the way: thank you for the already done quick reaction.

• Like Like x 1
  26. Bryer

Bryer Well-Known Member

Have we got a work around yet on Xbox One for this?

27. L89

L89 Well-Known Member

Yes, move TSW 2020 on external hard drive and disconnect it. Or uninstall it if you don't mind re-downloading at a later date.

28. Bryer

Bryer Well-Known Member

Not really a work around is it......

29. D3VILDOG8541

No, it's not but, all you can do for now unless Dovetail decides to actually address this issue!

30. paul_stamp

paul_stamp New Member

I had this issue too. I only restarted the Xbox and everything went back to normal. No need to reinstall. But this issue shouldn't happen.

31. L89

L89 Well-Known Member

Works for me. No issues now at a slight inconvenience of not having one installed internally.

So if you restart and open TSW 2 and then TSW 2020, it doesn't have the issue?

32. Bryer

Bryer Well-Known Member

L89, you might as well have just said don't open it at the same time. Moving it to a USB hard disk is the same thing really isn't it?

Just so you know, I have 2 x USB SSD's attached to my console and I installed 1 game on each of them, and haven't touched TSW 2020 since the issue.

33. L89

L89 Well-Known Member

Well having two games at once installed is causing freezes in TSW 2020 that didn't happen before. That's why you should keep them on different storage and keep one disconnected. Then you swap them round if you need to play the other. If you're only ever going to play TSW 2, then you may be fine having them both installed.

So it's recommended to keep them separated for now to avoid any potential issues. Or uninstall TSW 2020 if you don't mind redownloading it at a later date.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  34. Bryer

Bryer Well-Known Member

Wasn't getting lock ups with them on the same drive either.

35. L89

L89 Well-Known Member

I was. It was intermittent. Something was definitely different. Even got a freeze in the opening movie. Never ever happened before.

• Like Like x 1
  36. D3VILDOG8541

Same here for me. I still get random screen freeze even after the games have been moved to seperate drives & the one not being played unplugged. Think it has something to do with the two saved data files & the way the game or the Xbox is accessing them?

37. Bryer

Bryer Well-Known Member

Like I originally said when I raised this problem. Both games are using the same file names.

• Like Like x 1
  38. D3VILDOG8541

Yeah, you called it. I just thought over the last few days someone at Dovetail would see all the discussion & say Oh, that's what's happening we can fix that! .....<Crickets>

39. Bryer

Bryer Well-Known Member

A lot of businesses in the UK are still not working in their offices and are working mainly from home.

Might have been given to someone to look at, but they won't confirm anything until they've confirmed it as a problem, identified whether they can fix it and also that they've fixed it.

• Like Like x 1
  40. L89

L89 Well-Known Member

It's probably more complex than simply being the same name. The games have their own unique identifiers and product IDs if you press menu button on the game tile and select File Info.

If you are still getting freezing only thing I can recommend is deleting all local save data (will retrieve from the cloud next time you open) and reinstalling TSW 2020. Just don't delete Xbox Live save data or you will have to start a whole new save.

41. D3VILDOG8541

Great News, Fix is a coming!
    If you didn't see it DTG Protagonist said:

"The development team have identified the issue that causes Train Sim World 2020 to be uninstalled for some Xbox players when installing Train Sim World 2.

The fix for this issue will be available on August 25th (I don't have the exact time). More fixes are being worked on and will be released when they're ready to roll."

Thank you for your patience.

• Like Like x 1
  42. Bryer

Bryer Well-Known Member

As soon as tomorrow. Whoever said it wasn't a easy fix.... Pffft, I fart in your general direction.

• Like Like x 1
  43. D3VILDOG8541

'Easy is Subjective'!

• Like Like x 2
  44. L89

L89 Well-Known Member

I suppose you work in game development? Quick doesn't mean easy. I'm glad Dovetail have got on top of this frustrating issue for Xbox players.

• Like Like x 1
  45. Bryer

Bryer Well-Known Member

Update downloading for TSW2020, hopefully this resolves the issues!

Update - Issue appears resolved! However East Coastway has uninstalled itself from TSW 2. Having to redownload it.

East Coastway is not available any more in TSW 2020 for me, it's installed on the console, but does not appear in the route selection.

• Like Like x 1
  46. Bryer

Bryer Well-Known Member

Ever heard of sarcasm?!

47. BBIAJ

BBIAJ Well-Known Member

If it's still uninstalling East Coastway on TSW2, then surely the fix didn't work?

The way Sam worded it, TSW2 was uninstalling TSW2020, but it's actually the other way around.

Booting up TSW2020, was messing with TSW2.

• Like Like x 1
  48. Bryer

Bryer Well-Known Member

It's only happened when I've reloaded the TSW2 game after installing the update. Once it's reinstalled (2 minutes as on hard disk) it's all working fine.

East Coastway is no longer available to play in TSW 2020 though, it is installed in the Xbox storage menu, so I'm not sure if that's an intended bug. I don't own the other 2 as TSW 2020 addons and bought them solely through TSW 2, so cannot confirm they've disappeared in TSW 2020. Trying to reinstall it in TSW 2020 and seeing if that clears it.

Update - Preserved routes no longer work in TSW 2020. They will stay installed but will not be selectable, well at least that is what is happening with me and East Coastway.

49. BBIAJ

BBIAJ Well-Known Member

It appears that any missing DLC for TSW2020 needs to have the licence reacquired from the Store, even if it is already showing on the HDD, in order to actually show up in-game.

EDIT: Okay, this is getting silly now.

Booting up TSW2 unassigns all of the licenses for DLC in TSW2020 that has been carried over to TSW2, necessitating grabbing the licenses from the Store again.

After having to reassign the licenses to TSW2 after the TSW2020 DLCs broke, that game seems fine.

So you fixed TSW2, but have now broken TSW2020 with the exact same issue as before.

You couldn't make this up...

• Like Like x 1
  50. Bryer

Bryer Well-Known Member

I think they want people to play the Preserved routes in the TSW 2 engine/environment as it's a better experience.

It appears you cannot have 2 of the same route installed on your machines., working side by side in each game.

Reinstalling it in TSW 2020 uninstalls it in TSW 2 and vice versa.