PlayStation External View With Immersion Controller Scheme

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Allan, Aug 20, 2020.

1. Allan

Allan Member

Can anyone tell me how to get the external view menu while playing with the controller on Immersion so I can view the headout left, headout right ect. Now I have to switch between Immersion and classic controller setup to get the view i want to.

2. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I don’t think you can do that anymore with the immersion controller mode, you need the classic mode. I’ve not checked yet whether the extra internal views still work on a keyboard when in this mode because I just switched back to classic controller (which I now know you are not allowed to do in some sessions).

3. DXR8002

DXR8002 Well-Known Member

stujoy
    As long as you have immersion controls selected before loading into a scenario or whatever you can change bck to classic as soon as the game loads even though it says you can't. It's an absolute pain in the ass and I hope it gets patched. The new controls are simply awful, especially the camera.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Shwing

Shwing Active Member

Yep - 100% agree, the external camera operation using 'immersion' controls is useless!
    I can understand DTG were probably looking to get all relevant buttons / options onto the controller without you having to go to keyboard etc, but the external camera just doesn't cut it.
    The fact you can't seem to increase / decrease height without having to point camera towards sky / ground is my main issue. Previously you just used the triggers.

• Like Like x 4
  5. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

Can I ask what it is you dont like about the immersion controls exterior camera?

6. Matzo

Matzo Active Member

Am I right in thinking we've lost the ability to use the headout view with the immersion controls?

7. Allan

Allan Member

Hi Matt
    During one of the training section in Sand Patch Grade I had to change to the main screen camera and the only way I could do that was to go to settings and then change the controller to classic go back hold R3 and choose main screen view go back to settings and change it back to Immersion. It would be nice if there was a easier way to do that :)

8. Scarface

Scarface Active Member

Hi Matt, first of all: I am enjoying TSW 2 on the PS4 Pro, finally my hometown comes to TSW!!!
    I like the new zoom function, but
    I dont like about the new camera, that it cant go straight up or down without changing the angle and that you cant go fast forward. Sorry for my bad english...
    Best regards from Cologne;)

• Like Like x 3
  9. Shwing

Shwing Active Member

Hi Matt.
    There is only 1 thing that is 'breaking' the external camera functionality for me and that's the ability to move the camera straight up / down. In TSW1 you could use the left & right triggers to do this, whereas now you need to angle the camera skyward to go up (then push forward) / angle camera downward to go down (again having to then push forward). It means if I have found a sweet camera position, but decide I need it a little higher or lower, I have no choice but to physically move the camera skyward / downward thus losing my position.
    This is the only niggle from a camera perspective - as I love the new one button push to go internal / external / front / back!

According to the control mapping screen, the triangle button isn't being used - could you not have it so if you pressed it, the triggers would instantly become as they were in TSW1 - camera vertical axis movement only? Once pressed again, they would revert back to default function.

• Like Like x 2
  10. OnlyMe1909

OnlyMe1909 Well-Known Member

Can't change the height of the camera, Matt. Which is very annoying :)

Furthermmore 2 other problems with immersion controles (not ext view related):
    1.Can't move the cursor in cab view. I need that for german trains, I put the cursor on the AFB lever, so I only have to push X to control that
    2. Can't select view. So, to get through some of the tutorials (exp AC4400W), I had to resort to connect keyboard and use arrow keys to get to the mfd.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Northerner

Northerner Well-Known Member

I have reverted back to using the classic layout as, like others, I missed the ability to use the triggers to control the camera which made the camera much more user friendly. I also wanted to use the headout and free camera views which I couldn't find a way getting to using the immersion layout.

• Like Like x 2
  12. MrSagro

MrSagro New Member

I too see pros and cons to the new immersion controls.
    Specifically regarding head out the window with immersion controls, I just use the free view to place it at my right window, as if my head was out. Then whenever I switch from the chair view to free view, I have a head out the window view.
    Temporary solution for now. Hope it helps others.

• Like Like x 2
  13. LucasLCC

LucasLCC Well-Known Member

In my case I don't specifically dislike the immersion controls, but what does let them down:

- Being unable to complete the CSX tutorials using them.
    - Being forced to use immersive for tutorials, but classic for some preserved content.

Leaning two controller layouts really isn't friendly, so the ability to consistently use one or the other would make things so much better. If I could use immersive on everything, then I'd most likely use immersive.

However, at the moment I'm sticking to classic, as this works on the widest range of stock.

14. grdaniel48

grdaniel48 Well-Known Member

Hi Matt, thanks for asking about this issue!

In my case it was strange at the beginning, but then use to it.
    But there are some issues about immersion controls for views:

- The up and down movement (as mentioned above).
    You have to make strange movements in order to change height.
    If there is a nice and exact situation for a screenshot, you surely missed it!

Furthermore I have situation today on a timetable: As we were used to move the joystick left control to go up and down, and I was on hide HUD mode, in order to take some picture, I used that control! So that action caused the break be applied. But I did not notice!
    Later when I return to the cab I noticed the train was slowing down, and there I realize breaks were applied. As it was on the Sand Patch, and the train reduce speed really slowly, it was not a first sigh noticeable situation!

- Another issue it is the camera movement does not allow to go too much up, left or right.
    You mentioned the team is dedicated to the details of the routes, which is causing the routes could not be longer.
    As I am PS4 user, it is my first time on Sand Patch. And it is really great route, with a beautiful scenery! Really great job!
    I would like to see some those details, as for example the river who runs close to the route, and other interesting things around it. But could not do it, do the camera does not allow to go far away of the train, so I can not reach them.

So could be possible to modify the distance of the camera movements, in order to be much larger, to appreciate the surroundings and details?. This will be very useful to enjoy the routes and see the train on another perspective.

- Do we have a Free Movement Camera, with TSW2?
    I could not find it!
    Yes, the new views mode, are similar to that one. But distances are short as mentioned above.
    Furthermore we need a camera first to see the train pass by, or scenery details, etc..
    I mean a camera which does not move with the train

It is a new game, so it is natural it have some issues, as every new software in the world!.
    Surely you will be fixing in the coming days.
    Thank you very much for this new fantastic TSW2!.

15. LiquidShadows

LiquidShadows Well-Known Member

First, I'd like to say that the game is beautiful and I absolutely love it, so thank you guys very much. Having said that, the two issues with the controller settings are:

1.) Like people have said, there's no way to move the camera along the Y axis without pointing the camera in that direction first, and;

2.) If you start any scenario -- particularly the AC4400CW training scenario -- with the controller setting on "Classic", it automatically locks it in "Immersion" so that you can't change it without first exiting the scenario and then going BACK to the main menu and changing it to "Immersion".

Hopefully that made sense.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2020
  16. Northerner

I don't think there's a way to access free camera on the immersion controller layout but it's still an option on the classic layout.

17. grdaniel48

grdaniel48 Well-Known Member

Northener,
    Yes I know that about go to the classic layout.
    But I get used to the new one, and changing it as I did at the beginning is complicated due to the game requires you to change to inmmerse one.
    I believe they could keep this view with a special operation of any of the buttons. Like keeping pressing, etc.

As to immerse layout, do you believe it is necessary to have the reverser one included?
    You do not use these function so often.
    Only when shunting. But the rest of the runs of trains you go forward. You are not changing so frequently.
    This can easily be done by the controller on the locomotive cab directly.
    Leave those buttons for other functions. Like the mentioned camera, or other ones.

18. Northerner

Yes I agree, I think it could be an option to hold the right stick to get to the traditional camera menu on the immersion controls. I do think that that the new controls for the reverser are much better than the classic controls as it is now much harder to accidentally to change the reverser. I did used to think that it would be better to get rid of the reverser off the controller layout just because of how annoying it was as it was so easy to change the reverser without knowing.
    I personally would use the immersion layout if it had the traditional camera menu and controls as its controls for the doors and reverser are much better but at the moment I don't as I like using the headout and free camera views.

19. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

External view with immersion works fine. Just takes some getting used to, resisting old habits. Plus if youve got a keyboard 1-8 still work as they did previous. One thing I cant or havent figured out, is how to get sufficiently ahead of a moving train with the free cam as I once did. (Cant hold the right stick down to speed up)

• Like Like x 1
  20. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

So far, to my surprise, I’ve been playing exclusively with the new immersion controls. Having a keyboard plugged in is even more essential now, even though I’ve been playing with a keyboard attached for TSW2020 anyway, and although the cameras aren’t as manoeuvrable as they are in classic controller I’ve been getting on just fine. I keep zooming in when trying to set the reverser but that is the only thing that’s been catching me out. Using the external cameras is just different but still doable. Not being able to speed up the camera is the biggest drawback.

• Like Like x 1