Csx Et44ah

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Big Papi34, Aug 17, 2020.

1. Big Papi34

Big Papi34 Well-Known Member

Nothing screams GEVO more than a ET44AC. GE's finest piece of equipment, equipped to match top of the tier performance and air pollution standards. This massive behemoth of an engine is pretty self explanatory. (ET meaning Evolution Tier, 44, meaning 4400 horsepower, and AC, meaning AC traction motors.) CSX's batch of ET44AC's are slightly modified, to a ET44AH. While all have the same basic frame, cab, and mostly the same build, CSX added some extra weight to the engines to get the most out of the traction motors(note the H in AH, A meaning AC traction and H meaning heavy.)
    All engines come standard with a 3rd generation K5HL, though you can find some around on railroads with K5LA's. However, the other big difference between the CSX models is the exhaust. Their engines have two different styles, I like to call box and triangle.
    This is the "box" style of exhaust:
    20200817_121208.jpg
    This is the "triangle" design exhaust: 20200817_121114.jpg I myself prefer the "triangle" design, as it's more aerodynamic, and you can get that extra .2mph;). However, in all seriousness, I believe it was designed as a lower design for clearance on coal loaders. Therefore, more location appropriate. Alright, now onto the rest of the design.
    It features GE's newest model safety cab, for top of the line crew comfort and safety.
    The cab is a very boxy design, similar to the Ac4400cw cab, but with newer technology as well as 4 piece engineer and conductor windows opposed to the older 3 piece windows. hqdefault.jpg im-11372.jpeg
    I might add, CSX features flashing ditch lights, something most railroads don't have.
    The radiators on these things are massive and honestly really good looking. CSXT 3288 GE ET44AH rrp.jpg Since I cant add any more pictures, I think I'll wrap this article up. If DTG ever needs visual reference material, Scale Trains and Intermountain provide wonderful HO scale models of these beastly engines. I hope to see these in the future, as well as other engines. Anyway, hope you enjoyed. Time to go dormant on the forums for another 4 months then randomly pop up.

2. jedi247

jedi247 Well-Known Member

I want a UP version of this beast. The CN route could benefit from this engine, too. We also need an NS and BNSF ET44.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

And very pointy radiators.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Big Papi34

Yeah, that's the biggest difference between the ES and ET. I like the et44's massive radiators.

• Like Like x 3
  5. JGRudnick

JGRudnick Well-Known Member

Throughout the design and production of the ET44AC/H, it has gone through many phases. The first being the preproduction model (seen below).
    [​IMG]

This model had a much larger compartment around the exhaust. By the time the first production units rolled out of the shop, this campartment had been scaled down (see below). These locomotives were built only for CSX.
    [​IMG]

When other railroads began their orders, the compartment was changed again. GE added a taper to the compartment to match the angle of the radiator giving the locomotive a more streamlined appearance.
    [​IMG]

CSX owns a couple hundred of both versions. Personally were I live, I see about an even mix of each hauling some of the higher priority trains.

BNSF owns both the normal and heavy versions of the ET44, but they also own the ET44C4, which the only difference is an A1A-A1A wheel arrangement, instead of the more common C-C arrangement.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Big Papi34

Thanks for the info! I forgot about the pre production units. Their very chunky compared to the most recent model.

• Like Like x 1
  7. JGRudnick

Yes, they are! I am glad they found a way to make it look a little better. Maybe Progress Rail / EMD can find a way to do that too?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Big Papi34

Lol, i actually like the big look of the Ace-t4. They always looked so skinny, im glad the t4 edition "gained some weight"

• Like Like x 1
  9. JGRudnick

I agree, but I think they went too far. They look puffy now.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Big Papi34

Lol, that's true