Bad Optimization

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by sinnere, Aug 21, 2020.

1. sinnere

sinnere Active Member

I have an RTX 2060 along with an Intel Core i7-9750H yet I get 30-45 fps with stuttering here and there. A quick Google search shows this to be a common problem among other users.

Is there a plan to improve optimization?

• Like Like x 2
  2. Dominik Tuchowicz

Dominik Tuchowicz Member

[removed by Protagonist - argumentative]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Paulo_1997

Paulo_1997 Active Member

[removed by Protagonist - continuing argument]

• Like Like x 2
  4. 37114

37114 Active Member

I agree that it’s not very well optimised and think you should be able to get stable 60 FPS on a machine with your kind of spec. It is however perfectly playable if you lock it to 30fps.

5. olsbyn

olsbyn Active Member

My monitor is only 60 Hz, I have a i7 4790k and and a GTX980, I set the FPS lock to 58 frames, and I actually get pretty good fps, if that makes me a "fanboy" then so be it but on my system TSW2 performs better than TSW2020.

If you do a google search on any game with the keywords "poorly optimized" you will find the exact same issues, it's not necessarily the gpu and cpu that dictates it, it can be your motherboard, your RAM, your screen, the combination of your hardware, it can be your OS, background programs running, file paths being to long etc. etc.
    Trying to demean those that experience a good game is childish and unconstructive.

• Like Like x 5
  6. jörgen Näslund

jörgen Näslund Well-Known Member

I have very good FPS to I have over 60 (I have locked in 60) and all in Ultra mode (Best in all you can choose)
    Its clearly better than Tsw1
    I have Geforce 2080 and 32 gb memory I7-8700 3,2Ghz

Microsoft Flight simulator 2020 in best graphics mode
    I Have from 20-40 fps

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  7. Jinoss17

Jinoss17 Well-Known Member

Hello,

I have some stutters as well on a pretty good system. Everything is set to High and I have fps unlimited. Averaging 70-90 fps, sometimes it drops to 20 or 30 with stutters.

I7 10700K
    RTX 2070S
    32GB DDR4 memory

• Like Like x 2
  8. fanta1682002

fanta1682002 Well-Known Member

Hello i pc i7 6900k GTX 1080TI SLI 32GB DDR4 Averaging 80-100 fps, sometimes it drops to 38 or 50 with stutters.

9. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

With the default resolution settings get 55-62 fps, which is quite good. I have set my settings to ultra and screen size to 2540x1440 now and get round 45 fps. I am really happy with that.I think it is a little better than with TSW.

I have Nvidia 1660 plus a bunch of characters video card and a reasonable good i7 processor. All just below the top level when I bought it. I invested a lot in stability, good cooling and a good power supply. I think this helps a lot.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  10. Oystein

Oystein Well-Known Member

I have 32gb ram, i7-8086k and a GTX 1080 ti. Everything is set to ultra and I use a 49" 5k curved monitor. I have locked the FPS to 40 and it is very stable. So in my opinion it is far better than TSW. Even at San Francisco with lots of trains. But, on SFJ (preserved collection) I often get stuttering that also effects the sound. Never had this in TSW before.

In addition to full resolution and everything set to ultra, I also have this in my Engine.ini to improve the graphics.

[SystemSettings]
    r.ViewDistanceScale=12
    r.StaticMeshLODDistanceScale=0
    foliage.LODDistanceScale=7
    r.SkeletalMeshLODBias=-2
    r.MipMapLODBias=0
    r.EyeAdaptationQuality=0
    r.MaterialQualityLevel=0
    r.Color.Mid=0.4

• Like Like x 1
  11. HopesAnchor131

HopesAnchor131 Active Member

I have a Ryzen 5 3600, RTX 2080 Super and 16gb of ram and play at 4k with a near locked 60fps apart from busy areas.

• Like Like x 1
  12. SimonM719

SimonM719 Member

Yes seems OK to me, 3440x1440, ultra setting with increased settings in engine.ini for longer views and getting upto 90fps

• Like Like x 1
  13. TheShotte

TheShotte Well-Known Member

Funny how there is so many people throwing around specs and FPS numbers but only a two people with no problems wrote one of the most important pieces of information and that is, what resolution are you running the game? I am running TSW2 with the same exact settings as I did TSW2020 and I can wholeheartedly say that they definitely optimized their engine/game. It runs way smoother than TSW2020 ever did in terms of performance. However, if you are trying to run the game at full 4K on your 2060, yeah, 30-40 FPS is actually not that bad, although I doubt that's the case. TSW games are somewhat system-demanding, in a way very few games are due to the complex simulations calculated by the game. Having said that, make sure everything is okay with your PC and it is running up to spec. Maybe your laptop is thermal throttling or something after running the game for a while. What temps are you getting when playing for a while? Do you monitor your clock speeds/temperature when playing?

Last edited: Aug 21, 2020
    • Like Like x 5
  14. maxipolo12

maxipolo12 Well-Known Member

Also in "big" stations like Aachen or Köln ?

15. TheShotte

Big stations don't effect performance as much, it's the amount of trains on the screen that does. So if a big station is fairly empty, 1-3 trains, it won't impact performance nowhere near as much as if it had 8 trains, and then even so, depending on if the trains were purely static, or had some services or something.

16. Ian1991

Ian1991 Well-Known Member

I have nearly the same system as you, I can play in 4k at 40-55 FPS? Id check your system settings

• Like Like x 2
  17. KyleL

KyleL Well-Known Member

I have good FPS so I have to be a fanboy .Oh wait I could bash DTG on a ton of things.But it really depends on what you run

Last edited: Aug 22, 2020
  18. TheShotte

He's running a laptop though. So many variables there that could affect his performance.

19. HopesAnchor131

Where can I find the engine.ini file? Can't find it.

20. jörgen Näslund

This in your own folder in Documents in Windows 10
    Engine.ini is a file in the folder
    YourName\Documents\my games\TrainSimWorld2\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor
    My looking like this now.
    [Core.System]
    Paths=../../../Engine/Content
    Paths=%GAMEDIR%Content
    Paths=../../../Engine/Plugins/Developer/AnimationSharing/Content
    Paths=../../../Engine/Plugins/Editor/CryptoKeys/Content
    Paths=../../../Engine/Plugins/Editor/CurveEditorTools/Content
    Paths=../../../Engine/Plugins/Enterprise/DatasmithContent/Content
    Paths=../../../Engine/Plugins/Experimental/AutomationUtils/Content
    Paths=../../../Engine/Plugins/Media/MediaCompositing/Content
    Paths=../../../TS2Prototype/Plugins/DLC/AC4400CW_YN3b/Content
    Paths=../../../TS2Prototype/Plugins/DLC/Bakerloo/Content
    Paths=../../../TS2Prototype/Plugins/DLC/Bakerloo_Route_Gameplay/Content
    Paths=../../../TS2Prototype/Plugins/DLC/BKR_LUL_72stock/Content
    Paths=../../../TS2Prototype/Plugins/DLC/BiLevelAutorack/Content
    Paths=../../../TS2Prototype/Plugins/DLC/CoalHopperBethogonII/Content
    Paths=../../../TS2Prototype/Plugins/DLC/CSX50ftBoxCar/Content
    Paths=../../../TS2Prototype/Plugins/DLC/CSX5201CuFtCoveredHopper/Content
    Paths=../../../TS2Prototype/Plugins/DLC/CSXDOT117TankCar/Content
    Paths=../../../TS2Prototype/Plugins/DLC/CSX_GP38-2/Content
    Paths=../../../TS2Prototype/Plugins/DLC/GundersonHuskyStack/Content
    Paths=../../../TS2Prototype/Plugins/DLC/KAH_DB_BR442/Content
    Paths=../../../TS2Prototype/Plugins/DLC/KAH_DB_ICE3M/Content
    Paths=../../../TS2Prototype/Plugins/DLC/KolnAachen/Content
    Paths=../../../TS2Prototype/Plugins/DLC/KolnAachen_Route_Gameplay/Content
    Paths=../../../TS2Prototype/Plugins/DLC/SandPatchGrade/Content
    Paths=../../../TS2Prototype/Plugins/DLC/SD40-2_YN3b/Content
    Paths=../../../TS2Prototype/Plugins/GenericDiorama/Content

[Audio]
    UnfocusedVolumeMultiplier=1.000000

But I guess you can add things here
    To add in good-looking graphics, go to the bottom of the file, and on a blank line, type in "[SystemSettings]" and hit enter to go to the next line. This line is what tells UE4 to look for commands next, and without it, none of the commands will work.
    Link more settings in Systemsettings

• Helpful Helpful x 4
  21. Dominik Tuchowicz

Dominik Tuchowicz Member

For me it is a big performance improvement, justified by again worse graphics, rendering and texture quality on Ultra. I need to set up scaling to get better graphics at the cost of my GTX980 not too powerful at higher resolutions.

22. 7orenz

7orenz Well-Known Member

Im a fanboy too! Fanboy and casual gamer cause (after about 30 years on pc) I play on xb1x :D

• Like Like x 1
  23. hightower

hightower Guest

FWIW I’ve recorded 2 videos for YouTube making a direct comparison of “A Helping Hand” from Sand Patch Grade. Both videos are on exactly the same machine, same drivers, same recording software, same Nvidia Control Panel settings, same in-game settings and both are in 4K Ultra.

Whilst it definitely looks better (mainly because of the use of distant 2D rather than 3D trees), TSW2 is on average approx 8-10fps down on TSW1. Once you get outside on the Bakerloo Line there are frequent stutters and it struggles to even maintain 60fps in a number of places. Not quite the optimised for 4K experience we were promised...

My PC Specs...

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12 Core CPU
    Corsair H100x Hydro Series CPU Cooler
    ASUS® ROG STRIX X570-F GAMING
    ASUS® GEFORCE RTX 2080 TI ROG STRIX OC GPU
    32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz
    2TB INTEL® 660p M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD

• Like Like x 1
  24. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

Experiences do differ.
    I’m really enjoying the new version of TSW.
    The graphics and lighting are so much better and I’m running smoothly at 1680x1050.
    Now I’ve installed to an SSD load times are greatly speeded up as well.

Are there things that can be improved? Yes, but they won’t detract from my enjoyment.
    For some people sounds are not correct, signalling unauthentic or scenery unrealistic.
    Personally I would prefer less “crud” on the display and better iconography. As well as fewer white windows in buildings.

With the new roadmap we can hope that most of the minor annoyances will be addressed, but software is always a compromise.
    Compared to TS the genre is definitely moving forwards.

• Like Like x 2
  25. Jinoss17

Jinoss17 Well-Known Member

Yeah I forgot to add the i run TSW on 1920*1080. But stutters are still there. From my testing it's worse on the surface part of the Bakerloo line but they are still noticeable on the German map with both trains.

26. maxipolo12

Your specs are too low :D
    I hope some graphic tweaks btw. I really encounter no problem of fps stability on other games.

By the way I started for example I have the same low fps at the beginning of the first scenario of sand grade path when I start from the depot with some other trains. Exactly like the other TSW

27. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

Don't worry. In a few days he will be able to upgrade it with a 3090 and everything will be fine again ;)

• Like Like x 1
  28. maxipolo12

With DTG optimization you can reach 4-5 FPS more :D

29. Dominik Tuchowicz

Dominik Tuchowicz Member

Nope. All games done with UE4 with high speed movements are stuttering and are generally low quality due to:
    - Very bad handling of AntiAliasing methods used by UE4 - FXAA, TAA - making all blurry
    - Very bad texture filtering
    I got i7-6700k, GTX980Ti and all UE4 including TSWx plays well.

Also TSW2 runs much better than TSW due to huge degradation of source textures and their sizes, making game looks worse.
    I need to upscale to have the same what I got with TSW on Ultra and that way got same performance. Its cosmetic optimisation.

• Like Like x 1
  30. jörgen Näslund

Yeah I remember TSW1 in beginning. Its was so beautiful. Huge different against TS. But many complains with bad Fps.
    So after time people get better fps but the graphic became progressively worse. so it was a great pity.

• Like Like x 1
  31. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

How do I get rid of flickering and disappearing overhead lines again? Playing WQHD solution + 120% scaling and TAA

32. maxipolo12

By the way when I see that I can not understand the guys who say the game is good optimized.
    65-70% and 15-20 % cpu is way too small. Especially for gpu
    3440x1440
    3700x - 2070s - 32gb ram
    have way better perf on other ue4 games like automobilista ( very small studio in Brazil), project cars and the others

Attached Files:

33. hightower

hightower Guest

In 4K with some .ini tweaks I’m getting between 70-90% GPU usage and 10-14% CPU...and it’s not keeping a constant 60fps (it can’t maintain 60fps without the .ini tweaks either. If anything it’s seems to be slightly better with them)

I was immediately put off the German route by the flickering AA. What was the point of an upgrade to the engine if it didn’t solve this stuff?!

Also, the bloom on virtually all routes except HH & GWE is unbearable. SPG actually looks really good now, then you go onto Bakerloo and the lighting is just so unrealistic, particularly outside the Underground. Why can’t they equalise this across all the DLC’s so they now look like SPG/HH does, or at least make it adjustable?

• Like Like x 1
  34. maxipolo12

what kind of tweaks ? the same as TSW 1 ?

35. hightower

hightower Guest

These 3...if you drop this into the bottom of your engine.ini file then you'll be sorted, but I'm sure you know the score!

[SystemSettings]
    r.StaticMeshLODDistanceScale=0.75
    foliage.LODDistanceScale=5
    r.TextureStreaming=0

The static mesh and foliage.LODD are just to try and stop the popping trees/scenery without going too much overboard. The texture streaming one is a must for me. You may have noticed (on Bakerloo particularly) some textures loading in low resolution, particularly the destination blinds and danger signs at platform ends. It's a UE4 thing which is meant to improve FPS and decrease the amount of VRAM used but I find it doesn't particularly, and it sometimes causes textures not to load properly. That one turns it off.

HTH.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  36. TheShotte

Yes, they have optimized their texture tiles, but this what you speak of is false. If they "compressed" their textures or whatever this other nonsense you speak, why is Train Sim World 2 still 48.7 Gb with only Base Game plus Peninsula Corridor and East Coastway installed? What's using all this disk space? Blank files with 1s and 0s? C'mon now. I'm running the game at 4K (3840x2160) with Screen Percentage set to 75%, which means the game is rendering at roughly 2880x1620 (a little over 2K). What do you see in these screenshots that's that blurry? Bear in mind the weather:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In any case. If you think the game looks "blurry" or something of that sort, please check and make sure you are running it at the right resolution.

37. hightower

hightower Guest

Hmmmmm, ok.

I could debate this with you but it would be pointless as I’m right. I can only assume you’re new to TSW?

It’s a common and very well known issue, and if you owned the Trans Pennine route you’d maybe be a bit less dismissive. Trust me.

38. TheShotte

I do own Northern Trans-Pennine and like 8 other routes. I think I know what you're referring to, and you clearly know very little of developing a game to even bring anything like that up. You complain why some houses far off in the background may be blurry, but if they weren't, you'd be complaining you're getting less FPS. It's something for nothing, can't have stellar performance and the game not to use some methods to save on performance. I'm hoping they mastered Unreal engine development to the point that they can get away with something better. The new German route has some urban areas and they look great. Having said all that, we are talking about TSW2, so do not bring up any route you haven't seen in TSW2.

• Like Like x 2
  39. hightower

hightower Guest

You clearly have no idea what I’m referring to, and have rudely butted in on a conversation that had nothing to do with you.

If you’d actually been polite I might have taken the time to demonstrate it to you but as you’re just being plain rude this conversation is done.

40. maxipolo12

The game will not ever be optimized until he use 99% of the available performance given by the PC (multithreading etc.)
    But it will be better because of the construction model of PS5 and the next Xbox :D

We are in 2020 and the ue 4 is available since many years it s time to wake up.

• Like Like x 1
  41. sinnere

sinnere Active Member

Ugh, well every couple years I usually upgrade. I'll be getting the RTX 3090 some months after its release.. If I get anything below 60 fps then that's a serious problem.

42. hightower

hightower Guest

As I mentioned above, I’m often getting less than that on a 3900x and 2080ti in 4K. The game is utilising between 10% and 15% of the CPU.

• Like Like x 1
  43. jörgen Näslund

If it is as bad as some claim. I think its perfect.
    Why I always had 60 (locked in 60) But in Microsoft flight simulator i have 20-40 fps
    Lucky you don't have this fight simulator......Its 3 times worse than TSW2. But I am still happy. Telivision is only 25 fps.
    This is a simulator not a game. You cant compare to a game. This is a unique product Simulator (distance simulator)
    which will load long distances. Many new objects whole time and leave objects behind.

To make you happy, they can remove most items around lower the quality. So you have 200 fps and you are satisfied

Last edited: Aug 23, 2020
  44. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

Lol it's a public forum where everyone is free to comment and join discussion. Maybe try to be polite yourself before educating others about it.

Also you complained about bad textures, so he posted screenshots asking where those bad textures are, as it all looks good on his end. All you do is complain with no explanation to show, so you may as well be simply saying nonsense.

• Like Like x 1
  45. hightower

hightower Guest

You’re quite right, it is public. It doesn’t mean someone has to be rude, and if they are it doesn’t mean I have to reply to them. You’ve been around a while on these forums, so you know full well this discussion has been had many times before. Examples have been given, screenshots shown, tickets sent to DTG etc.

You also know full well that there are a raft of engine.ini tweaks that vastly improved the look of the game, and there are some excellent guides out there on what to do and the consequences of doing it. This particular texture streaming one I learnt from someone else, and I know exactly what it does and what the changes it makes are. I’d hazard a guess that you do too.

As for being rude, I was replying to a direct question to me from another user. Someone who has been on the forums for 2 months then jumps down my throat, tells me I don’t know what I’m talking about and that I’m only allowed to discuss TSW2 as he deems only that to be relevant, all the while completely missing the point and misunderstanding what we’re talking about anyway. He even kindly told me to check what resolution I’m playing at!

As I said, these are discussions that have been had many times before. There’s a search function on the forum, use that rather than demand (not ask) that someone takes time out of their day to ignore the rudeness, then demonstrate something you clearly don’t understand.

Also, If you can demonstrate to me where I’ve been rude to another member then please do, because it’s certainly not intentional.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  46. hightower

hightower Guest

ps If anyone is genuinely interested to see what r.TextureStreaming=0 does I’m happy to demonstrate it when I next get chance.

47. HopesAnchor131

I've added it to mine along with a bunch of other tweaks. Having trouble finding the perfect balance of good looking and good performance though.

48. Oystein

Oystein Well-Known Member

It would be nice if you could inform us about what effect r.TextureStreaming=0 have on the game, and why we should use it.

49. hightower

hightower Guest

Here you go. This is a screenshot from the very first time I player the 72 stock introduction:

1.jpg

This was just now when I loaded it having removed the .ini tweaks...

2.jpg

As you can see, the destination blind isn't loading in correctly as a result of this texture streaming thing. It's hit and miss and clearly isn't as bad in the second shot as it was in the first (you might need to click the image to see how blurred it is), and I've seen the same thing happening with the track itself and the platform end danger signs.

Here is the same screenshot with the .ini tweak...

3.jpg

The feature is there for a reason of course, to help FPS and use less VRAM, but if you have a graphics card that meets or exceeds the recommended spec then it shouldn't be too much of an issue to use this tweak. The reason I raised Trans-Pennine was because there is a LOD issue with the signal boxes, and you'd often see buildings close to the track being very blurred then popping into focus at the last second. This tweak forces the game to load textures at full resolution thereby getting rid of these loading problems.

HTH

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2020
  50. jackthom

jackthom Active Member

Thank you for those 3 settings. They've made a considerable improvement to my East Coastway route this morning.
    In particular the trackside trees are no longer foliating themselves in view and all seem to be fully formed by the time I can see them.
    Scenery now looking fabulous and no noticeable reduction in FPS either.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2020
    • Like Like x 1