Tsw 2 - Too Much Disc Space Being Used.

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by daveking8, Aug 21, 2020.

1. daveking8

daveking8 Member

The download size of TSW2 was just 14.6 GB. However when I looked at the properties after it had installed, it said 49.27 GB ! I presume this was for my preserved collection ( East Coastway and Peninsula Corridor ) - 35GB ? If this is the size of just two routes, what will happen when other preserved routes are added ? not including any new routes I wish to purchase. I will soon run out of disc space ...... haven't seen or heard anything about extra disc space required, have watched most of the streams leading up to the launch, it was stated that the download was 14.6 GB, 20GB on the Steam store page, but said nothing about extra space required for preserved routes.
    Is it possible to have just the TSW2 base game, to play the new routes and use the new tools without the preserved collection ? or can I uninstall preserved routes from TSW2020 ? Can't remove all of TSW2020 because I will lose the NEC route :-(
    This issue will probably affect other TSW2 players too.
    Had I known that it would use up a massive amount of my HDD, I would not have pre-ordered it.

2. Marshy

Marshy New Member

You don't have to install your DLC, just click the box next to what to install in Steam so you just have TSW2 base game. As for the download size most games are compressed and take up more room once installed. My install with East Coastway is 39GB but by modern standards that's tiny.

3. thrashmetal86

thrashmetal86 New Member

This is pretty much the standard for any game these days. You need to budget at least 100GB/game on your hard drive and you'll never run into a low disk space issue.

I would highly suggest getting a second drive (SSD if you can afford it) dedicated to game installs.

4. olsbyn

olsbyn Active Member

You should try flight sims then, I know people having 4 TB of disk space and still struggle with space :p
    Like others mentioned, invest in at least one 1TB SSD if you can, Steam has also become friendlier to store game files on external hard drives.

5. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

You can choose what DLC to keep and what to uninstall.
    This is how to do it:
    1. Launch Steam
    2. Go to your games library.
    3. Right click Train Sim World 2020 on the left panel.
    4. Left click on "Properties".
    5. Left click on the "DLC" tab at the top.
    6. Choose the DLC you want to keep installed from the list. A tick on the INSTALL column installs or keeps the DLC installed. Removing it will uninstall / keep it uninstalled.
    7. Click the "Close" button at the bottom right corner.
    PS: I haven't got any TSW2 DLC yet, but I bet it will probably work the same way.

6. daveking8

daveking8 Member

Thanks very much to all for the replies. My HDD is1TB, and have 200 GB of space left. When the game downloaded, that should only have been the base game. No option to stop the preserved downloading as well.

• Like Like x 1
  7. daveking8

daveking8 Member

Can an external HDD connected with a USB cable be used to move TSW 2 onto?
    Thanks.

8. BigMountain555

BigMountain555 Well-Known Member

I installed TSW2 on one of my 2TB external drives and it runs smoothly!

9. daveking8

daveking8 Member

Cheers ! :)

10. TheShotte

TheShotte Well-Known Member

Not surprised. My TSW2020 install directory was like 105 Gigabytes with NEC, SPG, PC, NTP, MSB, GWE, WSR, CN and LIRR installed. My TSW2 directory as of now is 48.7 Gb with ECW and PC installed.

11. Teflon490

Teflon490 Active Member

Also remember Steam is downloading the data compressed, so actual disk space taken will be a lot bigger than what you see being downloaded. The actual disk space the game will occupy is displayed before you start download.

• Like Like x 1
  12. jetgriff

jetgriff Well-Known Member

I still have CSX Heavy Haul as it is not in the list of DLC, any other way of dumping it???

13. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

You would need to uninstall the full game, since CSX:HH is part of the "base" game, not a DLC add-on for TSW1.

14. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I don’t know if this helps but when I downloaded RSN on my PS4 the download size was 1.2MB. I came to the conclusion that because I already had MSB and most other routes at the time that all the assets that RSN uses were already on my system. This means that each successive DLC you download will have a smaller size than the last if it uses shared assets. The first few routes of the preserved collection will have to download a lot of assets, just like the base game.