Train Sim World 2 Roadmap

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Protagonist, Aug 18, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shaun123

Shaun123 Well-Known Member

I think the number could be the Era? Like used for Model Railways there’s all different era numbers.

7 - Modern Day

6 - 2000-2010 maybe?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

Ooh, you may be on to something there. It's pretty consistent throughout the list of DLCs.

• Like Like x 1
  3. DTG Protagonist

DTG Protagonist Has left the building Staff Member

We'll reveal the formula on Monday :)

• Like Like x 12
  4. djhawtin1

djhawtin1 Well-Known Member

Lol formula

• Like Like x 3
  5. rhys_ismay

rhys_ismay New Member

Not sure if i missed it or it wasn't mentioned, is there anything about steam trains coming in the future?

6. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

Steam engines are long ways off at this point

7. LT586

LT586 Well-Known Member

To be fair Anthony, in the UK, it wasn’t a day out on the trains to the coast if it wasn’t for the slammers (look them up if not familiar) Comfortable travel over cardboard seats, same with the Metropolitan Line A60 stock, the old girls had style and class. I like modern traction too but am hyped to see Isle of Wight in TSW 2 form.

• Like Like x 4
  8. atevetrago

atevetrago New Member

Yes, I’m agree with you, GP 40-2 is a loco that is s DLC in the original Sand Patch Grade (CSX Heavy Haul), I think that the players of console (I play on console too) have to have the same chances that the PC players, that they can play with the GP 40-2 in CSX Heavy Haul, doing an extra timetable service and three extra scenarios.

• Like Like x 1
  9. raildan

raildan Well-Known Member

I generally like this roadmal, and ultimately it looks helpful for planning out which dlc to buy and stuff like that, easing my concerns of goimg overboard with spending and giving a final push in convincing me to actually buy the game (which I did a couple days ago) and play train sims again.

A couple quick questions on the locos in some of the future routes though, a couple choices don't really seem to make sense:

"[Route Add-On] DBB-R7 04 - Munich – Augsburg. With BR 403 & BR 423."

I don't know as much about German railways to be perfectly honest, but as far as I can tell, the BR 403 was retired, or at least moved to a different route, before the BR 423 was introduced? Am I missing something (something else known as a 403 or 423, for example), or... well, what time period is this?

"[Route Add-On] NDD-R5 01 - Clinchfield Railroad: Elkhorn - Dante. With SD40-2, F7 A/B."

The clinchfield didn't really have any SD40-2's, especially not when it was fully independent and everything- based off a remark in a Q&A stream a while ago I'm assuming this is the "70's freight route" mentioned, which makes the SD40-2 make even LESS sense.

Do... do you mean SD40? Please keep in mind that that is different from an SD40-2

• Like Like x 5
  10. Higgybaby90

Higgybaby90 Active Member

Hey, really a good looking road map. Many nice things in the pipeline.
    There is mostly just one thing, that I wanted to inform you: That is your route choice for the german loco DLCs.

Especially the BR 101. First it is a wonderful loco to bring into TSW2 (especially if you decide to add the IC Cabcar to it).
    But why on the Köln-Aachen route? The route has not seen IC Services (with BR 101) for years. This loco would fit better routes like München-Augsburg or Duisburg-Bochum, since it actually runs there.

raildan: BR 403 is ICE3 (Standard) it still runs on that line (you probably got confused About the old BR 403 (the one Looking like a duck)) So it fits the route quite well (Although every ICE Version could fit here especially the ICE1 would be a better choice, since it runs there more often then ICE3)

Last edited: Aug 21, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  11. raildan

OH, yes I was. Thank you for the clarification, makes sense now. Well in that case I'd guess the reason they're doing the ICE 3 again is that they can reuse the ICE 3 in Köln-Aachen, just modifying it a little, instead of having to model the ICE 1 from scratch.

And, yeah, that is odd with the BR 101, huh.

• Like Like x 1
  12. shredder550

shredder550 Member

There's a couple of items that caught my eye:

1. Clinchfield Railroad: Elkhorn - Dante
    Looks like we're finally getting a backdated route set in North America! Until we can get steam engines, the merger era of 1960-1980 is certainly the next best thing. Can't wait to try out some vintage diesels, and seeing what other Clinchfield locomotives are released after the route's release. Keep this up, Dovetail, this is absolutely the direction I like to see!

2. Cane Creek
    Not sure where this route is set, though it says it will come with an AC4400 and an SD40-2. Could this be the UP former D&RGW Cane Creek Branch in Utah?

3. C40-8W
    I mean, I can't really be too excited about this since it's so visually similar to the AC4400CW, but I'm glad that Dovetail is continuing to add CSX locomotives for us to use on Sand Patch. Hopefully something about it makes it stand out from the others... Perhaps a different, more accurate horn...

On a side note it would have been cool if instead this was the earlier C40-8 with the spartan cab. I know they're sort of outdated as CSX doesn't have them anymore, but then even the Dash 8Ws are probably next on the chopping block and the AC4400s are being rebuilt into a new designation, CM44AHs, so I think it could fit in if we're representing 15-20 years ago in-game. It'd be nice if we had some newer engines though, particularly something from the post-2000's GE Evolution series or those new Tier 4-compliant SD70ACe-T4s.

Overall this is shaping up to be a good start.

• Like Like x 7
  13. shredder550

shredder550 Member

Good catch on the SD40-2. I wonder if Dovetail has just reskinned the SD40-2 from Sand Patch assuming that Clinchfield had them as well? Either way it's still in the "planning" phase, so I hope there's time to rectify this before release.

• Like Like x 5
  14. edward.gregg

edward.gregg Active Member

I love the idea of the road-map, And have enjoyed the daily online updates this week, which sheds more light on things on a human level. keep this
    I love the idea of the road-map, and have enjoyed the daily online updates this week, which sheds more light on things on a human level. keep this up Protagonist and Dovetail, But possibly on a once weekly just to keep us in the picture. XD

• Like Like x 1
  15. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

TGV Marseille to Avignon want the longest Route in TSW with 100 Kilometer right?
    Top Speed is 320 km/h

16. Bakerloo

Bakerloo Member

Does anybody know when the Isle of Wight route will be released by Rivet Games; and whether this will be available on Steam (PC)?

• Like Like x 3
  17. trigzd

trigzd Active Member

We don't know when yet but I would presume (from the screenshots) fairly soon, also I'm pretty sure it will be available for TSW2 on all of the platforms including PC via Steam - similar to how TS classic sells third party content via steam.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Bakerloo

Bakerloo Member

Thanks good to hear. The Isle of Wight route on TS is one of my favourites

19. matthewbguilford

matthewbguilford Well-Known Member

I’m also excited for the Rivet games Isle of Wight route. DTG had been putting in the effort with TSW to make all platforms the same. With TSW2 they have succeeded with all platforms having the same experience and features. That was a long way of saying yes, Isle of Wight will release on all platforms at the same time!

• Like Like x 1
  20. Dominik Tuchowicz

Dominik Tuchowicz Member

Roadmap:
    - Make preserved collection separate from game core engine to allow it to run on TSW2
    - Milk newcomers by selling again same abandoned "preserved" collection
    - Release some 3rd party routes recycled from TS into new standard, Isle of Wight, Swiss, France, UK
    - Abandon support to TSW2 and it's former DLC's
    - Release TSW3 with improved lighting, new dispatcher and signalling system to allow busier routes
    - Marketing TSW3 as a new revolutionary stuff way above the simple update
    - Release 'preserved collection' from TSW2 to be able to run on TSW3
    REPEAT

Last edited: Aug 22, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  21. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

Guys, guys! I found a bitter person!

• Like Like x 19
  22. dunkrez

dunkrez Well-Known Member

Train Simulator is the new Sonic The Hedgehog.

23. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

Someone has probably hidden his toys!

• Like Like x 10
  24. KyleL

KyleL Well-Known Member

I'll be on the lookout

• Like Like x 1
  25. tf1000

tf1000 New Member

For me it's very disappointing that there are so many recycled routes from Train Simulator on the roadmap. I was expecting new routes, also I'm very disappointed that DTG gone back from the nice long routes with nearly 200km that we have seen in Train Simulator lately, to the 60-80km routes which mostly are done in a 30 minutes ride. In the old Train Simulator there were technical limitations that prevented longer routes, but now with the new engine, I don't see any reason for these short routes, other from making the most money out of each route add on. I would be willing to pay 50 euros for a route add on, but then the route should be at least 300-400 km of railway.

• Like Like x 1
  26. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

It's more difficult for them to go out and get references during Covid. Once things get better, they will probably start doing new routes.

• Like Like x 2
  27. KyleL

KyleL Well-Known Member

I mean TSW2 isn't TSxx & they have reference from these routes & covid is making it hard to make the routes.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  28. Rail Runner

Rail Runner Well-Known Member

The level of detail in TSW2 will (should (hopefully)) be much much higher than TS20xx. Therefore, it will be different to TS20xx and they will be more up to date.

• Like Like x 3
  29. MetrolinkF125#916

MetrolinkF125#916 Well-Known Member

I’m also excited for these routes/locos! Although Clinchfield’s reuse of the SD40-2 and Cane Creek copying sand patch with 2 of its locos isn’t very satisfying to me, unless they introduce new rolling stock which I believe they will, but I hope these two routes do get DLC bringing the ES44s and SD70s, or an SD35 for clinchfield. Also, that Dash 8 does look interesting, even if it’s the same design of the AC4400 despite different trucks, but I would like a GE with the controls on the left.:)

• Like Like x 2
  30. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

Why would they make shorter routes when they know longer routes would generally be more popular?

Why make shorter routes than TS1? Is it a) there is more detail and complexity in TSW so it takes longer or b) DTG are a bunch of money grabbers.

How long do you think a 300km route would take to build and cost to build and then work our how much they would have to sell each route for?

A couple of the routes on the road map are longer than we have seen recently, London to Faversham being one of them.

The main reason for the recreation of TS routes is they already have the research materials, you might have noticed we are in the middle of a global pandemic and it hasn't been business as usual for the last few months!

• Like Like x 11
  31. docsnyder1911

docsnyder1911 Well-Known Member

I like that roadmap so much. A second german high-speed route. A second german diesel shunter, famous Munich mainstation, the Class 395, two northamerican freight routes, TGV duplex, a second American heavy diesel, the Arosa line trough the Alps, the fastest Traxx with the DB BR 101 and the newest with the DB BR 187 and the most routes are more than 40 miles long. The only thing I miss a bit is Amtrak action. The P42 would be excellent.

• Like Like x 3
  32. BNSF650

BNSF650 Member

@ Dovetail games do you guys have any plans on doing a workshop for us players to upload are new paint jobs we have done with locomotives and railcars?

• Like Like x 1
  33. JGRudnick

JGRudnick Well-Known Member

Seeing that they are in the planning stages, maybe they will switch up the locos a bit. With the virus going on right now, it is difficult to travel and get reference material, so they are probably using what they already have, i.e. just doing reskins.

• Like Like x 2
  34. JGRudnick

Maybe we've been playing TSW too much and we have forgotten that isn't the real world! ;)

• Like Like x 3
  35. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Would be a lot of fun to run the Capitol Limited up and down the Sandpatch Grade. P42's and some Superlliners.

• Like Like x 3
  36. raildan

Agreed kinda, but there *is* only one station on the route so it seems a bit odd

I mean, it could still be interesting just as another type of train to try running over the difficult mountain pass, and there doesn't appear to be any new North American passenger anything for a long time otherwise, but still... seems like it would work better somewhere else.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  37. MetrolinkF125#916

I guess maybe, like others have said around here, the coronavirus has delayed and is making it difficult to create new dlc, so new trains are off the list, however, even with TS20 sounds reused, they could remodel the P42 and superliners from TS and get it into TSW, at least it’s something! The only problem would be to find and travel to that Amtrak route for research, as the pandemic is complicating that.

• Like Like x 1
  38. MetrolinkF125#916

Yea I guess I forgot about the pandemic when writing that lol.

• Like Like x 2
  39. MetrolinkF125#916

Maybe that was a typo and they were actually going to add the original SD40 introduced in 1966, not the Dash2? I mean the SD40 and Dash 2 variants were practically identical externally, and they had the same 16-645E engine, the only difference being the way signals got from the throttle to the prime mover as the original model had hard-wired circuitry and the newer model had more advanced circuit boards. In other words there is practically no noticeable difference from the SD40 and Dash 2 models, so maybe that could be it? As for the F7 I believe they were still running in 1966?

• Like Like x 3
  40. raildan

I'm assuming yeah, it was a typo and they just meant SD40. As for the F7, they ran for quite a while on the Clinchfield apparently, in fact they were kinda known for them- most were retired in the mid-to-late 70's.

Based on a random remark on a TSW2 Q&A mentioning "70's American freight routes" a random example of a type of route they thought people wanted to see, I'm guessing this is what they were referring too and thus takes place in the 1970's. SD40's and F7's are completely appropriate for that.

• Like Like x 2
  41. JGRudnick

After the Seaboard System was created, the Clinchfield Fs continued to haul freight trains in Seaboard System livery, and later, CSX used a few (4 if I recall correctly) to haul priority piggyback trains, painted a version of the CSX Stealth livery.

• Like Like x 3
  42. MetrolinkF125#916

Well if the SD40 was introduced in 1966 and Clinchfield had the F7s running all the way to circa 1978 then that means these locos would be appropriate for that time frame. So I’m guessing the route would take place in 1972-1975, just after the introduction of the SD40-2.

• Like Like x 2
  43. raildan

Oh wow, I remember hearing about the 4 in CSX paint now that I think about it but I didn't realize they were still a regular thing into the Seaboard era somehow. That makes sense, late 1970's seemed a bit early to be that notable or unique, after all, right?

Thanks for the corrections!

• Like Like x 2
  44. rene.aspesberger

rene.aspesberger New Member

Es würde mich sehr glücklich machen, wenn in TSW 2 im Livery Designer die Option habe die Farbenart der Folien zu ändern, sprich Klassisch, Metallisch, Matt und eventuell muss aber nicht sein Chrom

• Like Like x 1
  45. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

America Freight only DLCs are boring to drive like Sand Patch Grade or Oakville Subdivision
    It need so much Passenger services and Trains to make it more accurate

46. raildan

I mean, "accurate" isn't exactly the right word here, this IS the US, after all... we suck at passenger trains, I think having mostly freight routes is "accurate" :p

But yeah, it is kinda odd that there are no North American passenger DLCs currently planned. With NEC being abandoned and "high speed being a key focus of this year" I was almost CERTAIN that something like New York - Trenton would show up here, with an Acela and an upgraded ACS-64 (NJ Transit, with an ALP-46 and Multilevel coaches, sounded like something they'd try and pull off as loco DLC). But, nope... just freight.

Personally I actually enjoy freight routes sometimes, they can be kinda relaxing with no strict timetable to keep and a slower pace... but I also enjoy passenger stuff and so does quite a bit of the audience here, so it's pretty odd.

As a side note, Cane Creek Branch in particular makes no sense, it's just a branch line with one regular local per week (plus an occasional uranium tailings unit train- that'll be fun, if for no other reason then driving a slightly radioactive train), basically making timetable mode pretty useless. Worse yet, the line speed is 30mph on the whole line, and there's not really switching or anything either. Of course, the obvious reason this line would be built is the incredible- like, really quite amazing- scenery, but that still doesn't make up for it being a weird route choice. I'll buy it at a reduced cost, because again, sounds relaxing, but.. still.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  47. Challenger3985

Challenger3985 Well-Known Member

Just remember, both Cane Creek and CRR are in the planning phase (or Research phase) of the Roadmap. So there's no telling what eras both routes will be in until it's close to being released (Which will be a while for that to happen).

• Like Like x 2
  48. raildan

Well yeah, but the rolling stock listed narrows it down in both cases, and changing the era of a route changes the research a lot. Besides, I don't think there's much reason to change the era in either case- the Clinchfield route builds off stuff from the TS route and Cane Creek is easier to research and doesn't need new locos (which would be harder for a third party to develop).

• Like Like x 2
  49. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

I agree.

• Like Like x 1
  50. MetrolinkF125#916

Yea, at least bringing something similar to the Peninsula Corridor would be welcome, as that route was one of the best routes for TSW. The length, location, and choice of motive power made it a success, why not bring something like TRI-RAIL, the top attraction for Florida rail fans? Well, one things for sure, with the pandemic they won’t be able to travel to Florida as cases have been dramatically increasing there. But, talking about Cane Creek, I was really excited for a heavy haul UP route, but reading that, only 30mph? Reused locos, which is a small gripe for me, and lack of services doesn’t really sound fun anymore. Radioactive trains? I hope they don’t derail! So yea I also think this route doesn’t make much sense. Wanted a UP route in TSW DTG? Why not take a look at Sherman hill, you’ll definitely want to recreate that in TSW.:)

• Like Like x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.