To Our Good Buddies In The Usa!! What Is This Thing?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by edward.gregg, Aug 21, 2020.

1. edward.gregg

edward.gregg Active Member

2. KyleL

KyleL Well-Known Member

TBH I don't really know Im not a expert on those things I just know the trains.But I don't railfan freight trains so I don't know I think they use something like this at oak point yard.But haven't been next to oak point for a long time

• Like Like x 1
  3. Challenger3985

Challenger3985 Well-Known Member

It's an E.O.T (End of Train) device. Usually, they go at the back end of freight trains when there's no loco at the rear.

• Like Like x 1
  4. edward.gregg

Thank you. It sounds like what in the UK is a tail lamp :) (But a digital version) thank you for explaining. I assume it tells certain line side equipment that its the rear of the train?

5. Challenger3985

Mostly gives info to the lead Loco via Head of Train Device (HTD). Nothing special.

• Like Like x 1
  6. edward.gregg

We dont have freights long enough for that tech, But I always wondered how a driver in the USA controlled Locos in the middle and the rear. I assumed they communicated by CB. But Mid power is still a mistery to me.

7. edward.gregg

In the UK that would be fine with one loco to another. But rolling stock would need to be wired for the so a loco down the line can communicate with the lead engine. so each and every wagon (car) would need to be fitted with a wireloom to carry the signals to each loco in the formation.

8. Stockton Rails

Stockton Rails Well-Known Member

...as stated above, the EOTD is a safety device to mark the end of the train- it flashes its taillight periodically, reports via radio the brake line pressure seen at the end of the train to the HOTD (Head of Train Device) in the cab so that the engineer can see it. It can also be triggered by the HOTD in the cab to drop brake line pressure and force an emergency stop in the event the engineer can’t perform an emergency stop from the front.

I haven’t actually tried this yet in the sim, but there is a safety cover and switch on the HOTD devices in some of the cabs that might actually work and trigger the EOTD to dump pressure. An easy enough thing to try- just make sure your train has an EOTD on it.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
  9. Challenger3985

Oh right, (facepalm) that's mostly with radios or with another crew as a Helper/Banke for the other end. It depends on the tech the locomotives have, and how it communicates with each other.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Stockton Rails

Stockton Rails Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1