Tsw Route Suggestion - Toronto Subway System

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by max88183, Jun 6, 2020.

1. max88183

max88183 Active Member

The Toronto subway system is a subway/metro system that operates in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

Route

The Toronto subway system is operated by the Toronto Transit Commission and opened in 1954. The system has 3 subway lines, Line 1 (Yonge-Uiversity-Spadina), Line 2 (Bloor-Danforth) and Line 4 (Sheppard). I didn't mention Line 3 (Scarborough RT) since it is not a subway line and does not utilize the same rolling stock and trackage as the subway. The length of Lines 1, 2 and 4 combined is 70.1 Km or 43.5 Miles. There are 70 stations along the subway system, again Line 3 is not counted as it is not a subway line. These routes feature many outdoor sections which are very scenic, but most of the routes are underground. The subway system closes around 2-3 am and reopens at 5-6 am. During this time maintenance work and fleet movements are done.

Screenshot_22.png Photo credit: Toronto Transit Commission

Features

Yards:

There are 4 yards in the Toronto subway system. Greenwood (L2), Wilson (L1), Davisville (L1) and Vincent (L2). Greenwood, Wilson and Davisville are the major yards for storage and maintenance while Vincent is a smaller yard only to store trains. Just to note, Line 4 uses Davisville Yard for its fleet. The system also features many storage tracks along the lines to store trains overnight or when they break down.

Prince Edward Viaduct:

This bridge is used so that Line 2 (Bloor-Danforth) can cross the Don Valley. Opened in 1918, it is a very iconic bridge in Toronto. This bridge is always as awesome slight when riding Line 2 in the real world, I'm sure it will be in TSW as well!

Prince_Edward_Viaduct.jpg
    Photo credit: Paul Dexxus

Fixed block signalling system:

The Toronto subway system uses a fixed block signalling system that is very easy to learn. I have left a video link below for how the signalling works in Toronto. We are also getting ATC (Automatic Train Control) that will be removing all the current fixed block signals on Line 1. Vaughan Metropolitan Center station to St Patrick has already gotten their fixed block signals removed and replaced with the ATC system. I don't think that ATC should be added, but it will be hard to reference the signal placement for the fixed block system between Downsview Park and Vaughan Metropolitan Center stations since that is the extension, which was opened with the ATC system.

Commuter Rail connections:

The Toronto subway system makes multiple connections with the GO Transit commuter rail service. I believe that a good line to add would be the Barrie line. Downsview Park Station and Union Station both have direct connections to the Barrie Line and it is a nice and scenic line.

Special services and scenarios:

Line 1 Glencarin Branch - During rush hour some Line 1 trains only operate from Finch - Glencarin as opposed to Vaughan as a scheduled short-turn trip, this would be interesting to see in the game.

Subway Closures - It would be very cool to see a scenario where you do a round trip on the line shortened, because of a subway closure. Either service disruption or scheduled maintenance would be cool to see.

Trains

Bombardier Toronto Rocket (T35A08) - This is the newest subway train on the Toronto subway system. These trains entered service on Line 1 back in 2011. You can find the Toronto Rocket trains as 6 car consists on Line 1 and 2, 4 car consists on Line 4. These trains are not used on Line 2 for the most part, but can rarely be seen when there are issues at Greenwood yard which prevent trains from leaving. These trains feature an open gangway design, have ATC capabilities and have a slick, modern look. They also have electronic displays on the exterior of the train. The consists are semi-permanent and are not mixed.

unnamed (3).jpg
    Photo credit: Max88183

Bombardier T1 - This is the older and only other train type on the Toronto subway system. The first T1 entered service in 1996. These trains only run on Line 2 as 6 car consists. These trains have been retrofitted throughout the years to have electronic displays on the exterior, external speakers and security cameras. These trains still use roll signs for the front display though, which is awesome. The T1 consists are mixed, unlike the Toronto Rocket trains. These trains can be seen on Line 1 when moving between the many different yards along the system for maintenance.

unnamed (4).jpg
    Photo credit: Max88183

Work Trains - The Toronto subway system uses many different work trains. Anything from flatbed electric trains to diesel locomotives and old retired subway cars. If I were to see 2 work trains added to the game, I would suggest a Hawker Siddeley H4 and Arva Industries flatcar. More can be found here: https://cptdb.ca/wiki/index.php/Toronto_Transit_Commission_Rail_Workcars

I believe that this would be a very cool add-on for TSW 2. We have the Bakerloo Line now from London, which is currently my favourite route because of the Metro aspect. As I mentioned, this route can pave the road for more Toronto-based routes in the future. Let me know what you think below, would you want to see this route in TSW? Make sure to leave a like on this thread as well so the devs can see this and look into it.

Credit to AyrtonS8 for the layout.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 15, 2024
    • Like Like x 15
  2. MetrolinkF125#916

MetrolinkF125#916 Well-Known Member

Nice, it would be a cool route to see in TSW since it would be the first subway route in the game.:)

• Like Like x 2
  3. kiyoko91

kiyoko91 Well-Known Member

Beautiful. 1 line should be a U-shaped route. But, I like the 2 line [a straight line].

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  4. max88183

max88183 Active Member

Line 1 curves at Union Station, it's a very nice route. It was extended back in 2017 up to Vaughan, very nice stations up there. Have a look at some ride videos.

• Like Like x 3
  5. max88183

max88183 Active Member

If you like the idea and possibly want this is TSW 2, please make sure to like the thread so the devs could possibly see!

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. kevin.charb81

kevin.charb81 Well-Known Member

The next Canadian route should be either Toronto or Montreal, with a focus on dense urban transit like we've had with RRO and HRR.

Great proposal, nice work!

• Like Like x 6
  7. max88183

max88183 Active Member

Thank you! I do agree that the next Canadian based route should either take place in Toronto or Montreal, maybe even Ottawa! The STM Metro or Confederation line would also be very cool route ideas.

• Like Like x 4
  8. kevin.charb81

kevin.charb81 Well-Known Member

Imagine the uproar around these parts when they announce the Confederation Line at a paltry 13km route length!

Montreal metro system would be incredible, especially the orange line.

I did a proposal a few months ago for an above ground route: Montreal-North