Euro Fishing Some Thoughts For The Future

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GOrd0n Bennet, Oct 28, 2017.

1. GOrd0n Bennet

GOrd0n Bennet Member

Now that Dovetail have some competition on all 3 platforms. Here's a few thoughts on what DTG could learn from Rapala (Haven't seen fishing planet as I don't have a platform to run it yet!, I believe its on its way to the 360).

Single player tournaments that work
    The AI players in the single player weight tournaments rack up scores that would tend to suggest they are pulling lake monsters out at a rate that I could just about manage with hyperactive roaches on 25 lb line.
    Rapala's 3 best or 4 best fish per tournament seems to me to be quite a neat way of scoring would be good to have something like that here (with a less hyperactive AI).

Line needs looking at
    Currently I can catch all of the snails boss fish on 3lb line. Its kinda flattering to my undoubted skills as an angler but possibly stretching reality a bit. Conversely on Presa where I have one rod out with 25lb line (To deal with the catfish and obstacles in the lake) my hit rate on medium sized fish (10-30 lbs) isn't affected one bit which is kind of surprising given that my hook is attached to a great heavy lump of nylon braid rope. Rapala seem to have at least got low strength lines right as you have an extremely hard job making headway against a big fish on light line. That said Rapala's fish never seem to get tired which is somewhat unreal and even the tiddlers in that environment are happy to snap up a lure on 65 lb rope.

A working economy
    Here once we have unlocked all the tackle we need or want we rack up TP ad nauseam and the whole economy of the game becomes a pretty stupid way of keeping score. Rapala on the other hand charge you TP to enter competitions or re-try them. They also charge TP to replace snapped line and lost lures.

It could add a little interest if bait was consumed in a session and needed replacing along with tackle like line and rigs (when you loose a fish although IRL they need replacing quite regularly anyway). and competitions cost to enter but offered a reasonable chance of breaking even or possibly making a profit.

This game needs a money sink to keep us poor and keen to earn :)

Fix the online tournaments
    The major problem seems to be that a gamer with several characters on their account can enter the tournaments with each of their characters and just keep racking up the score. That's just BS and needs fixing. By all means let us have another go if that's what we want to do but please re-set the score if we do so.

The species restrictions on tournaments don't add anything to the party, they just bring an element of random chance to the proceedings. Its OK for games like Rapala which is arcade in its approach and you can see whats taking your bait and choose not to strike but here where the best bait for anything sizeable seems to be 22mm Tiger nuts its not really possible to fish for just mirror carp and not catch a sack full of commons or even catfish from time to time. Please correct me if I'm wrong here but I have found no bait that wont be taken by everything capable of taking it in the lake.

Finally you come up with an excellent peg draw which you use for single player tournaments but give us the run of the entire lake when competing in a multiplayer tournament. Its kinda unreal but nice to have the lake to ourselves when freedom fishing, to be able to camp anywhere in a competition is just beyond belief and really removes a whole layer of match skills from the proceedings. A good match fisherman will get the best out of whatever peg he draws at the start of the match and it adds a bit of interest to try fishing a spot you haven't tried recently (or at all).

Just my £0.02 worth

Simon

2. DTG_Stephen

DTG_Stephen Staff Member

Thank you for providing your thoughts Simon, there are some interesting ideas in here. We do have plans in the future to make improvements to our Live Tournaments that would allow us to place more restrictions on them and let us limit the number of times a user account can enter a tournament. The idea of entry fees for tournaments would be a good idea as this would give a place to spend your tackle points when you have everything unlocked and more accurately reflect a real world match fishing tournament.

In the office we have been wondering if over time having consumable baits could become a bit of a chore? What do you and other members of the forum think?

3. GOrd0n Bennet

GOrd0n Bennet Member

Hi Stephen and thanks for your response.

If you sold bait / line / rigs in lots of 10, charged us something like 1 unit per game hour (+ breakages for lost fish) and allowed us to store something link 99 in our inventory. I can't see it posing a problem.

I think your biggest problem here would be setting the prices so that the money sink doesn't stop a competent player from making a bit of profit.

The biggest limitation for me with tackle is the restriction of 4 baits and 4 rigs without closing my peg, finding a noticeboard and changing things. My virtual persona has gone to the trouble of lugging a girt big tent thing to the swim that they never use. It kinda sad that they left most of there tackle in the car boot so if you guys get around to changing things please give us some more rig and bait slots.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
  4. WikusMazal

WikusMazal Active Member

It won't be a problem if it is priced right. If the price is not too high then it will be fine and be more realistic.

5. Chizzckh

Chizzckh Active Member

Need something to spend those tackle points on - Two ways to go really for me, what has been mentioned in this thread or if the developers can keep a steady stream of extras coming that TP can be spent on such as baits, tackle or even venue upgrades(!). I would prefer the latter as that keeps the game fresher in my opinion but I am not against the spending of TP points in other ways as long as it's done well. Definitely need more bait slots as too, massively in favour of that. I do think though that sorting TP points out in a better way should be way behind sorting the problems affecting the game currently though (Bait drift, fish not being caught, float fishing etc) and the need for more species/variety. Otherwise too many gamers will be lost through frustration to ever see the nice bells and whistles for the future :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. GOrd0n Bennet

GOrd0n Bennet Member

I am possibly alone in this but I cant say that the way fish drop the bait sometimes before I can reel them in or bait /float drift cause me any problems at all as they mirror my real life experience of fishing even quite still venues (Canals are the most quiet venues I have fished in recent years). On the other hand float fishing does need some urgent attention and to live up to its title the game does desperately need more species so that it moves beyond carp fishing. So I'm with Chizzckh on those they are more important than cosmetic fixes to the games economy. Of course if we can have it all that would be nice.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Chizzckh

Chizzckh Active Member

My only issues with the drift is it's so erratic, at times it like fishing in a weirpool on rather sedate lakes. I have no issue if baits were to move when first cast and then settle to a final place but quite often I find its the opposite - Makes fishing a spot and especially the way spodding works extremely difficult. Sometimes it feels like the leads are feathers and nothing can sit on the bottom. I am sure most people find it frustrating when you cast out on silt at 35 yards, check 2 mins later and its still at that distance but then check again several minutes later because of no bites and its now at 25 yards on gravel. Maybe I am being picky, I don't know? But what I can say is when I first played the game it was never an issue and this has come after various updates. I think we can all agree though like Gordon Bennet says that get the perceived issues out the way and then build on the game with nice extras. :)

8. SPACE ODDITY

SPACE ODDITY Active Member

I would love it if they added head touches for a characters that can be turned on and off. It would be handy considering some of these lakes get very dark at night.

9. jonnytafft

jonnytafft New Member

Id Really love to a the river introduced barbel chub big perch,be a nice future thought

10. Bacon Hoarder

Bacon Hoarder New Member

I'm with pretty much everyone that adding some sort of economy to the game would be a welcome change. I really like Rapala's system where if a fish snaps your line, you have to rebuy the lure and you lose some of that line. But for that to work here, fish need to be able to snap the line. I totally agree with Gordon Bennet that catching a 65 pound catfish on 5 pound line is ridiculous.

So my suggestions:
    1. Consumable baits/lures/line that we can use TP on.
    2. Ability for fish to snap line (thus losing that lure and some line).
    3. Please remove the max level cap of 25. We don't need custom titles after 25, but seeing our level increase is a nice way of gauging the time we've spent in the game.
    4. Changeable clothing for our characters, which would also cost TP. They don't all have to be sponsored clothing. Give my ugly woman a pink tanktop or a shirt with a fish on it or something. She craves variety.