First Impressions

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Shaun123, Aug 21, 2020.

1. Shaun123

Shaun123 Well-Known Member

Hello,

My first impressions (and opinions) don’t forget they are my opinions so of course feel free to agree/disagree.

My first run had to be the Bakerloo Line so it was 0916 Elephant & Castle-Harrow & Wealdstone.

It was fantastic, timetable is very challenging it’s very immersive, it’s strange coming into the platform as full belt (as per reality) of course!

Stations and the 1972 stock are beautifully modelled! The underground stations and Queens Park are the highlights!

Passenger Info Screens are a welcome addition and add more realism to the route.

Tunnels sections, contrary to what others have said, I didn’t find them that dark at all. For me it was just right!

Graphics and performance;
    These are my PC Specs:
    Radeon RX 580 Series
    AMD Ryzen 7 1700 Eight-Core Processor
    Asus AM4 PRIME X370 PRO Motherboard
    8GB Ram
    Windows 10 64bit.

Playing at 1080p

On the underground sections getting almost constant 60 FPS. Outside slight drop to 45-50 with the Wembley area being the main performance hit.

One downside I did find more stuttering than I’ve been used to (compared to TSW2020) on the overground sections, despite a general performance and graphical improvement within the game itself.

For me, there’s a definite performance and graphical improvement, again only negative is it’s still a bit too bright!

Another negative, the signalling and dispatcher, but understand a fix for that is coming in the future.

DTG Protagonist was spot on when he mentioned the game just “feels better” he was right!

For me, it’s not just an update or upgrade, I felt like I was playing a brand new game for the first time! I watched all the streams and couldn’t wait to play the game, in fact the streams didn’t do it justice as to how good it was!

DTG Protagonist and TrainSim-Matt just a note to say thank you really to yourselves and the team, there’s still a few improvements to be made, as mentioned already, but you all have genuinely developed an excellent product. And thank you for all the streams and involvement with the community throughout.

• Like Like x 8
  2. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

Very similar to my specs.

3. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

I was right when I thought the new Koln route would be my new favourite. The team did a stunning job making all the sights and sounds come together. I must mention that the wind whistling by the cab is a great note of detail. Sandpatch Grade is also one of my favourite routes and I am glad to finally be able to get a consistent 60FPS on it, even in some parts of Cumberland! The new dynamic skies and rain pitter patter SFX are wonderful and the better draw distances are noticeable.
    upload_2020-8-20_19-30-1.png
    Sunsets are now as they should be!
    upload_2020-8-20_19-39-36.png
    My only complaints thus far are to do with sound bugs and odd audio mixing. The PIC F40PH engine sounds are extremely quiet from within the cab and the AC44 horn is also really quiet in the cab. Something there needs to be sorted.

In the meantime, cheers to the team and I hope that they keep up this great work. :)

CPU: Xeon E5-1650 v3
    GPU: GTX 1070
    RAM: 32GB 2133Hz ECC

Last edited: Aug 21, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  4. michael hooley

michael hooley Well-Known Member

It was interesting that the first time i ran it, i got am message from windows defender that some of the actions of the programme had been blocked, before i could click allow the window closed. then TSW 2 crashed and did it again twice. I will have to check the defender settings as the warning screen has not appeared since. I believe this is the problem. It was very late, I ran the programme as administrator and after 10 mins it had not crashed, it reamains to be seen if that is the answer but it is worth a try?.

Mike

5. Dominik Tuchowicz

Dominik Tuchowicz Member

What a new game?
    Changed HUD, they actually just repaired what was badly encoded from the beginning - the routes, trains, assets as a part of UE4 engine and not separate assets.
    Now they did it and made us pay for that.
    That's why a bit of performance improvements.

• Like Like x 2
  6. dunkrez

dunkrez Well-Known Member

First impressions? Played the tube for about 15 minutes, got fed up with the daft aspect ratio, switched it off.

Probably won't use it again.

7. Dominik Tuchowicz

Dominik Tuchowicz Member

The tube is perfectly modeled.
    But lack of announcements, no traffic and just red to open / close the door without proper line issues with traffic and delays, yellows due to train in front made this just an empty ghost town.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Hooch

Hooch New Member

What do you mean by this?

9. Dominik Tuchowicz

Dominik Tuchowicz Member

I mean from the beginning, CSX: Heavy Haul was encoded as a route directly in game engine. Same for its locos.
    In UE4 editor as a part of the project.
    Any of its features were like hard-coded together. Then next routes and trains were hard-coded together with game engine.
    An update to core wouldn't affect all other routes but would broke them down.
    Any added feature would show only on specific route or train, but not for any of them at once.
    They would need to patch them one by one, hoping that a simple fix wouldn't broke anything else.
    That's why they dropped support to it.
    So what could they do to improve stuff in future with a magical single code change in core to apply to everything?
    Separate Core+SimuGraph from routes,from Trains, from consists, from route assets.
    It enabled the possibility to put a Tube train on GWE, as they are not encoded directly, but separated.
    It allowed repainting them. It allowed schedule editor to be available. It allowed 3rd party devs to do routes without full code.
    It allows plenty of new features to comes available to all routes, without need to copy-paste to all it should apply.
    That's why Train Sim World 2 was born as a revolution to DTG.

Before it was limited to this single loaded route/train/assets pack and tuned core parameters towards it.
    TS and now TSW2 loads the game and then loads it corresponding route, train, assets from all available packs.
    It is all interchangeable now.
    Now a patch done to core engine applies to all at once and they can still fix separately anything.
    But a patch applied to core won't damage newly produces routes or trains as they have their own parameters which overrides the core.

We have to wait now for "preserved collection" as they need to cut the code from the core and put it in the route packs as assets.
    Something similar to that either way ;)

10. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

I am awaiting any new DLC release so that we may see if the core game requires an update to function with it, a la TSW1. That was a huge hurdle to third-party content creators. If the core game still needs to be updated for every release, then TSW2 may still yet be damned.

• Like Like x 1
  11. dunkrez

Wow.

So TSW2 is DTG's way of letting the customer soak up the cost of re-building TSW as it should have been built in the first place.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Dominik Tuchowicz

Dominik Tuchowicz Member

From development point of view?
    It's the same project, look at attachement. Still TS2Prototype.exe as it was from CSX till now.
    They updated engine at the same time. Added adhesion and few tweaks. Plenty of under the hood coding to handle all better.

From marketing point of view?
    No need to support "legacy version". Possibility to sell this as a new game. Our case.

From our point of view?
    Some guys are drooling on the floor believing it's completely new thing. Buying marketing play completely.
    Some hate that practise, yet we have 2 freeware routes in the pack with the updated (new) game.
    We have a possibility it will get better.

What I am afraid of?
    TSW3 could have "preserved collection" from TSW2 new routes we will see in the future. Same strats.
    TSW3 will have all they promised but aren't working on that for now or closest future.

What they could do for US ALL?
    Stay with TSW2 until UE5 and completely new game kicks in to us, with multiplayer and revolution.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  13. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Don't believe everything contributed to these forums.

• Like Like x 1
  14. dunkrez

Fair point.

15. Hooch

Hooch New Member

Oh right. Yeah, this is something that really annoyed me. I had no way to uninstall the route I don't want to play, and it still has its image on the splash when I load it up.

I was actually going to ask if the exe and folders were still all 'prototype', to see if it's still the same UE4 project internally.

16. awibej

awibej New Member

I like the tube the more I drive it, but yes, it is not "lively" enough.
    Not enough difference between peak hours and late/early shifts. Passengers waiting for the train at the terminus station (15-17 people on the wrong side at Harrow & Wealdstone)

Also the announcements regarding trains, mind the gap, destination etc. would make is seem more realistic. (World of subways had no trouble integrating this, but maybe it is copyrighted?)

• Like Like x 2
  17. olsbyn

olsbyn Active Member

I don't know what causes it, maybe there's something in the London water, but on Picadilly I have seen people walk on to the tracks on several occations.. I'm not judgemental, but 5-6 persons in a row, is there a suicide cult in TSW2 ?

Announcements and such has been mentioned, but one more thing that I sorely miss are other trains on the regular railway tracks, it would make for a more lively route not seeing only tube stock.