Adhesion Physics Should Be Off By Default.

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Kim1087, Aug 23, 2020.

1. Kim1087

Kim1087 Well-Known Member

For the serious player TSW2 offer more realism than ever before but for some of us and especially the new players out there it has made the game far too hard for some to want to continue with it and the new Adhesion Physics should be off by default allowing the player to choose to turn them on if He/she wants that more realistic driving experience

An example is PZB on German trains which in the real world is permanently on but here DTG recognises that some don't want it so it's off by default and it's up to the player to then turn on the safety systems for a more realistic and challenging experience.

I play this game to have fun and it's not any fun to be pulling a heave freight train up a steep incline and for that train to have uncontrollable wheel slip just 3 miles from the end of a scenario and then for that train to come to a stop and then not be able to get it moving again,

Last edited: Aug 23, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  2. olikas.g

olikas.g Member

I like the idea of turning the adhesion off, I'm not sure whether it should be the default.
    Anyway, what I'd love more is the game to help us learn how to do it properly. If the train doesn't move, it would be useful to be able to access a checklist, or something that would tell the user that train is not moving because "too much power", or "switch thingy is not turn to some setting". If it is hidden behind a pause screen that would work too. This is completely different from the signalling which you can learn in isolation, but when the thing is not moving it is always a train configuration issue.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Kim1087

I've found with the scenario's on Sand patch that the were never written with weighted or adhesion physics in mind and the trains are just to heavy for one loco to pull up the very steep gradients, so I would like the option to turn one or both off if I wish If I so wish and I am finding it to difficult. at the end of the day I play TSW to have fun

4. Rush

Rush Member

I’m just curious, but you’re making sure you’re setting your locos up for the proper MU configuration according the the manual right? Some of the scenarios kind of tell you how to do this, but they leave out steps. The manual has the proper configurations that the game doesn’t tell you.
    Here’s the link to the TSW2020 manual which is still very relevant (especially for sand patch grade) and on page 37 it explains all the different configurations. The TSW2 manual isn’t quite as comprehensive.

https://steamcdn-a.akamaihd.net/ste...im_World_2020_User_Manual_EN.pdf?t=1597944109

Also if you’re getting really bad wheel slip, try backing off the throttle slightly and apply sand until the wheels grip before increasing the throttle again.

You’re obviously not new to the forum so I’d imagine this isn’t probably new to you, but just in case. Just trying to help out is all.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Kim1087

Thanks Rush ive been playing TSW since the beginning and never had problems with any of the Sand Patch scenarios as CSX Heavy Haul
    I managed to get the train moving by thinking outside the box and using the GP-38 that was in tow as a banking loco to give me more power and get me up the hill.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Big Papi34

Big Papi34 Well-Known Member

Its a simulator. Its up to you to turn off features you dont like. Not the devs, they add them to make the simulator a simulator.

• Like Like x 1
  7. JGRudnick

JGRudnick Well-Known Member

I just did a service with 2 SD40-2s leading, starting on a .6% grade, and I could not get it started. I then checked the mu set-up, and found the trailing unit was not connected to the leading unit. Once I connected them, I started very slowly, starting with throttle notch 2 and some sand, and very slowly increasing the throttle until I was up to 10 mph, then throttled all the way up the hill, no problems with wheel-slip.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1