Downhill On Sand Patch

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by deans.ma, Aug 21, 2020.

1. deans.ma

deans.ma Member

Evening,

I've been playing Sand Patch most of the day and still haven't mastered properly controlling the train going downhill. I'm curious if someone here could give me some insight as to how to properly control the train when going down the hill. Now obviously running light engines or with an mty train isn't a big deal but the loaded trains and manis are proving a bit tricky.

I usually throttle down as I enter Sand Patch and start dynamics as I enter the big tunnel. I'm always in full dynamic by the time the head end exits the tunnel. For the first mile or so of downhill the dynamics hold the train back pretty well, however once I get into the straight bit past the horseshoe shaped curve I feel the train start to get away from me. I start to apply some air, usually 20 to 30 lbs. The issues start once I begin releasing the air, I try to release it at about 10lbs at a time but the train will start lurching. Note the dynamics are still in full and I am beginning to slowly release the air as needed. The train starts lurching ALOT, it will shoot up 5 miles and hour then slow to about 15. Even after the air is fully released it still lurches. The lurching is so bad I almost get sick with all the cab sway.

Theres got to be something I'm doing wrong here. Your insight is greatly appreciated,

-Dean

2. sinnere

sinnere Active Member

Seems like you're one of the few on here who's interested in proper train handling. However this game doesn't simulate physics well. The closest you'd get to the real thing is Run 8 Train Simulator - many real world train engineers and conductors have said so themselves. Off course the trade off being that the graphics are no where near the level of TSW. However if you prioritize physics over looks then you should definitely look into Run 8.

3. Trainmania100

Trainmania100 Well-Known Member

It's not realistic but I used the independent brake to bring the speed down gently

4. jörgen Näslund

jörgen Näslund Well-Known Member

Releasing train brake. You should always go back fully. Not gradually. So the brake pipe can charge the train again.
    Then Apply the train brake again.
    Otherwise you may lose all brakes after a while. (run out of air in the air-tanks in each wagons)
    In Europe you can gradually releasing train brake but not i North America.

For me have the dynamic brake worked to hold the train in speed. Maybe you slipped with engines.
    If use of train brake you must brake to maybe 10 mph then release the brake and when the train increase the speed again and when you must brake again.

I run trains downhill like this. Both in Run8 and TSW
    1: First a see if dynamic brake can hold the train speed
    2: If not Apply train brake (Lowest position) together with dynamic brake.
    3: If the speed now decreasing under speed limit use less dynamic brake to try to hold right speed
    4: If the train still decreasing speed and yet you have no dynamic brake
    5: You then must wait to releasing train brake so the train is much lower than speed limit.
    Then you apply full dynamic brake and release train brake. Now the train increasing speed again.
    6: And so on

Last edited: Aug 23, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. deans.ma

deans.ma Member

Thank you both for your replies.

Sinnere,
    Yes I've heard of Run 8 but the fact I'm on console quickly rules it out.

Jorgen,

Over the past day or so I've run about 5 sessions on Sand Patch and have developed my own little system for handling the decent. Heading east (towards Cumberland) I found that the steep descent (~1.1%) doesn't start until the east portal of SandPatch Tunnel. Knowing that, upon entering the tunnel I let the train coast down to about 20mph, giving me time to get the dynamics ready to go. I always wait 10 seconds between idle and set-up (and vice versa) because 1. Its more prototypical and 2. It lets the slack stretch a little bit before applying the dynamic.

Using this system I can usually keep the train from exceeding 30mph using solely dynamics.

My issue before this is that I would crest the grade doing 35mph, giving me little time to react to the steep decent.

Needless to say I'm extremely happy this route came to console. It's the only TSW route I've ever played that has been an actual challenge (and I've been playing since the original release of TSW on console).

-Dean

• Like Like x 1
  6. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

From what I have experienced it is better to apply a small amount of brake and let it go down the brake pipe than apply a larger amount and then release quite soon after. This lessens lurching as there as there is a small amount of braking on all wheels rather than a larger amount on just the front of the train, and it releases more gently. You have to brake earlier to do this so anticipating increases in speed due to the grade is needed.

7. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

This interesting discussion looks very helpful, but why was it posted in the "Off Topic" section of the forums? Can it be moved to a section where it seems more appropriate?