Guard Mode (this Is A New Idea I Promise)

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by jeaglesone, Aug 18, 2020.

1. jeaglesone

jeaglesone Member

People keep asking this and I have in the past as well, but I think a guard mode would add more functionality and value to the game than it would cost to implement. I’m not sure if it’s planned or not but since so many people want it it seems like a reasonable request. TSW already inludes services that would in real life be fully guard operated, however one in particular stands out.
    The upcoming Island Line provides a new window for a feature:
    The Island Line is and always has been operated by a guard, with there only being one set of door controls in a 2 carriage unit (those being in the “A” Driving Motor). I’m not sure what it’ll be like yet, but an interesting feature (that would, for the sake of realism, have to be included) would be that once the train stops, doors are opened automatically and closed again by the guard, who then signals to the driver. This feature, to my knowledge, exists via Armstrong Powerhouse in TS2020 but not in TSW.

Furthermore, if this was added, a simple guard mode would greatly improve the feeling that TSW was more than driving trains. In my eyes, guard mode could be activated simply by unfolding and sitting on the guards chair in the same way that one would take control of driving a train. It is then the player’s job to:
    -Open the doors on arrival at a station
    -wait until the passengers are clear of the doors
    -close passenger doors and check that they are closed
    -close their own door
    -signal for the driver to depart
    Of these, door controls are already in the game, as are the driver/guard signals, and the User Interface is already able to inform the player when to open and close doors as well as telling them how long is left of passenger boarding.
    In short, all that’s required is to take the necessary aspects from driving a train and use them to construct a guard mode.

(thank you for reading this wall of text)
    TL;DR a guard mode probably won’t be hard to add and you have a whole line that realistically requires it

• Like Like x 4
  2. Northerner

Northerner Well-Known Member

I was thinking about this for the Island Line earlier, seeing as, as you say the guard would operate the doors and there are not buttons in the cab to do it. I think this would be the perfect route to introduce it on and would add an extra layer of realism to the game receiving 2 on the bell from the guard and having to return 2 on the bell.

• Like Like x 2
  3. jeaglesone

jeaglesone Member

Exactly my thinking, hopefully if there are more like us (which I’m sure there are) DTG will listen to us and add it

• Like Like x 2
  4. mlouie100

mlouie100 Well-Known Member

I would like to see a gaurd mode or AI Gaurd added to tsw 2. they should add this to the lirr, and peninsula corridor DLC

• Like Like x 2
  5. coolrobert21

coolrobert21 New Member

I would love for a guard mode to be added, then you could potentially select whether you are Driver Only Operated or Guard Operated

6. thesuperpuffin

thesuperpuffin Member

I like the idea that the guard is waiting until all of the passengers have got on and off, this will probably only be possible once the passenger system has been overhauled

7. g-stallard

g-stallard New Member

As a guard IRL I'm not sure how I would feel coming home to work some more lol but I would love to see this system brought into place as it would be more realistic and add the functionality of the game, as mentioned they have most of the systems and features in place, so why not go the whole hog and add a new feature.

• Like Like x 1
  8. InstaSim

InstaSim Member

I am a vocal supporter of guard mode, and the feature could be expanded in the eventuality multiplayer is added to the game too. +1 support from me here as this feature would be great (especially on the older routes with manual operated doors and especially when modern routes with old stock, like 158s, eventually come to the game as they don't have ways to open and close doors from the cab)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Rail Runner

Rail Runner Well-Known Member

This mode would be good for Multiplayer. I don’t see the point of Multiplayer if there is only driver mode. It would be so boring. So this would mean that more things can be done.