Bad Optimization

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by sinnere, Aug 21, 2020.

1. hightower

hightower Guest

Brilliant. Really pleased it’s helped out! You can play around with the numbers and really push it if you choose but I think this is a good compromise.

These are worth a look...

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1378928501

https://steamcommunity.com/app/530070/discussions/0/3393916911756120995/

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2020
  2. sinnere

sinnere Active Member

It's 2020, we should not be content with playing at such low fps. Besides that this is barely a sim. Not when the train brakes and accelerates in an arcade-like manner.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  3. jörgen Näslund

jörgen Näslund Well-Known Member

Yeah but you can get 60 fps. To get better computer /consoles or change the Graphic setting. Its up to you.

4. TheShotte

TheShotte Well-Known Member

My man, I was being rude? You said you could debate this with me, but it would be pointless (attacking my intelligence), and than you proceeded to throw in assuming that I'm new to TSW, again, something completely false, and you comment saying I'm rude? To re-iterate my direct response to you - yes, I do know what "blurry" textures you speak of, the low resolution textures they used on the buildings further away from the player's perspective - again to save on RAM/VRAM so they're not loading some super huge 2048x2048 or 4096x4096 or bigger texture maps for a buildings that's barely visible or probably wouldn't even be from 1st person camera inside the actual vehicle. You think because you learned what some .ini values control that makes you some sort of an expert? If you were anything close you would know that each person's configuration is different, and PCs tend to do funny things. You come in, throw some vague information about your results with the game, and you think that gives you the right to be dismissive of anyone else's opinion? First, use some scientific method to obtain your results and make sure your PC is squared away.

In regards to the texture streaming - I'm sorry, I've never seen this before happening on my PC. My in-game texture settings are set to "Ultra" and I've never seen anything like this happening in my game.

5. maxipolo12

maxipolo12 Well-Known Member

Please hit DTG not the players :D

• Like Like x 1
  6. Dominik Tuchowicz

Dominik Tuchowicz Member

Stop defending them then, whatever they will deliver it is half-baked and anyone seems to be so enthusiastic....
    When a community claims for imporovements it always work.

• Like Like x 1
  7. maxipolo12

maxipolo12 Well-Known Member

Did it work for TS ? Note sure :D
    But agree, a lot of people seem to be happy with low performance. Never understood that

8. Maik Goltz

Maik Goltz Well-Known Member

That's a easy one to understand. Better a lower performance but a game that fills a niche, than no game at all. You can't expect AAA performacnce and optimisations from a game like TSW. Not with these low prices (i know you will have a different optionion on that^^). This is a tile based open world, its not like the one tile based open streaming like most AAA open world games are (they simply have one big tile base, streaming in assets (not further tiles) and doing other tricks to hide the problems). Loading tiles and moving fast along at the same time is something most games do not need, but a TS needs it and it is clearly a problem, even today with modern hardware end game engines. As i know you cant really optimize that further yet. No proccessor or data-bus is fast enough to do it without a short waiting time. Loading thousands of assets in a single frame is coming with an impact on to the performance. Maybe it will get better with the new techniques in the next 10 years. Not now. It's simply a hardware restiction. So same conclusion as at the start of my post: game with little stutters OR no game at all.

• Like Like x 1
  9. jörgen Näslund

jörgen Näslund Well-Known Member

I myself think it is too optimized already. The Graphics is not so good as it were. But it is still very good.
    The road crossings is always down now (Before it was trains who did it)
    The train is not so long as it should (every wagon is calculating a huge things)
    I notice now speed tree not moving until you are completely still for several seconds.
    it is a trade-off between good graphics and good fps. What to choose. I choose good graphic instead of 120 fps.
    It is strange everyone shall have Ultra in bad machines and still want to have good Fps.
    That why they are setting for graphics. Ultra Good Medium bad. If you choose to right you get higher fps.

It is us who having good machines affected when Dovetail lowers the quality to increase fps.
    I have no use for having more than 30-40 fps. I want new functions and graphic instead.
    rear view mirror on the locomotive as example. ( they tried it before but it was to fps demanding )
    Longer trains and so on.

I notice the Microsoft Flight simulator 2020 that there were jerks (low fps) sometimes a few seconds.
    when coming to large city and so. And on average it is 3 times worse fps than TSW2
    some complain that it will be so for a few seconds even in this game and thinks this is disaster.
    Then the train moves to new area with much objects (trains house and so) when the simulator shall take in all new info and show for us. When in some computers you can see this as low fps.