Sandpatch Gp38-2 Brake Issues

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by upstatenyrailfan, Aug 23, 2020.

1. upstatenyrailfan

upstatenyrailfan Member

i've been playing some TSW 2 and Sandpatch is odd whenever i climb the grade i'll stall in a GP38-2 and notch with DPU's mu and brakes are set correctly any idea whats going on

2. upstatenyrailfan

upstatenyrailfan Member

not to mention when going downhill on a 0.4% i need 50% of braking!

3. Stockton Rails

Stockton Rails Well-Known Member

I’m assuming you’re pulling a very long load... are the DPUs in the back running correctly (helping out with the load)? You could verify that with the camera- making sure the DPU units throttle up and down in sync with the units up front.

• Like Like x 1
  4. upstatenyrailfan

upstatenyrailfan Member

the one i'm currently doing has no DPU's and isn't that long, for Cumberland charge i encountered tons of issues with the DPU's not making noise they did in the end but 50% doing down a 0.3% doesn't seem right. and then as i stopped at the yard entrance called Cumberland tower they didn't let me in i even tabbed and nothing :/

5. Joker729

Joker729 Member

The Fully Fueled scenario has the same issue. Two SD40s on the lead and two GP-38s on the rear with brakes set just like it says in the instructions...........stalls going up the first 1%+ grade. Trying different setups to see if maybe something is off that wasn't mentioned to the player, but so far nothing. This scenario stalls and doesn't work.

Weight - 4,222.7t
    Length - 0.8mi (54 cars)

• Like Like x 1
  6. upstatenyrailfan

upstatenyrailfan Member

i even tried putting the dpu's into lead or dead not a reply hmm probably a bug

7. Joker729

Joker729 Member

By default, the instructions on that scenario instruct us that, once the helpers GPs are in place, to put the train brake into full service instead of handle-off. The first time I ran it, I used the drone camera to check the rear units and it was showing 20psi in the brake cylinders. This time I'm trying them with handle-off instead. I'm stopped in Cumberland right now, but its showing no air in the BC this time on the rear units. I hope this works.

BTW, I do set the lead units to Lead or Dead and the trailing units to Trail 6 or 26

8. Stockton Rails

Wow, that all sounds like a mess... if you haven’t already, you could do a search here and see if there are any other threads on these same issues- maybe someone else has some insight on this? Might be worth a try.

And can you also list the config you used to get your DPUs up and running? You should have the standard lead-trail pair up front, and another standard lead-trail pair in back- then just turn on the banking radio only in the lead unit at the front of the train (by hitting the ‘DISP’ button on the front of it), and that should bring up the helpers. Is this what you’re doing?

Last edited: Aug 23, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Joker729

Joker729 Member

Wow! They never mention that banking comm! Pushing that button trips a lot of settings in both locos. I think this may have been what I was needing to climb that hill.

• Like Like x 1
  10. upstatenyrailfan

upstatenyrailfan Member

banking comm doesn't fix it btw lol

11. upstatenyrailfan

upstatenyrailfan Member

didn't fix it sadly

12. Joker729

Joker729 Member

When I clicked mine, I made the mistake of doing it while actually moving. Suddenly all my lead loco stuff changed because I turned it off. My reverser went into neutral and disappeared, throttle to idle, and it even changed my air valve settings. Once I got it all reset (thank goodness the drone camera lets me manipulate the rear locos), I then clicked that DISP button only once until the message read Banking COMM on. I then checked the rear pair and, sure enough, they were also powered up the same as my lead pair, matching my control moves. Man this would have been good to know from the start.

13. Stockton Rails

...sorry to hear that, guess this might be an actual bug in your case. I’d search the forums here as I mentioned earlier for possible help with this- would also be good to know which journey, scenario or service you’re running when you run into these issues. Good luck!

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  14. upstatenyrailfan

upstatenyrailfan Member

lol

• Like Like x 1
  15. Stockton Rails

...and I guess you’re good to go now, so that’s great! I actually opened up a ticket with DTG support sometime back about adding the critical step of turning on the banking radio to their documentation on DPU config. They did respond back and appreciated the info- but who knows when they’ll actually get around to updating all of their docs. Anyway, have fun with DPU ops... I think it’s pretty cool.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2020
  16. Joker729

Joker729 Member

Yeah that was a shock to find out what it did that way. I just knew I had irreparably messed up the scenario and would have to start over. Luckily I figured it out and got it going again. Thanks for that. Was the one piece of the puzzle I was missing :)

• Like Like x 2
  17. upstatenyrailfan

upstatenyrailfan Member

got it to work! woo hoo thanks for the help everyone :) :D

• Like Like x 2
  18. Stockton Rails

...that’s great that you got it working, but what did you do to fix it? You said it was a short train with no helper-units, so I guess it was related to something else?

19. matthewbguilford

matthewbguilford Well-Known Member

I’ve had multiple times where I didn’t realize there were locomotives on the back and it’s why the brakes were stuck on when I tried pulling the wagons. After setting the back lead unit exactly I would for driving the one at the front of the train, I have to remember to turn the Banking intercom on. I then place the exterior camera at the window in the back to make sure the throttle is moving and the amps are going up when they should.

20. Stockton Rails

...yeah, makes sense. I was wondering if this was going on with the OP.

I built my first DPU train in Hamilton Explorer (in Oakville Sub) sometime back, and finally got that rig up and running after a bit of work and plenty of searching on the internet on the actual (real-life) DPU procedure. I then built a 2x2 DPU unit-train with plenty of filled tankers and buffer cars... sure looks great rolling by, and you can feel the difference getting that thing rolling with 8,000HP available.

21. matthewbguilford

matthewbguilford Well-Known Member

1D4FA04A-1ACA-4A13-8653-7EDFC389CBF0.jpeg
    Ah yes, I remember those days. Having the few free roam options and services that took place in open yards with other locomotives and freight cars were fun. I was actually playing around with the scenario editor and got the MP36 in Cumberland yard and the AC44000 in the other with 50 coal wagons. Sorry for the terrible quality. With some updates hopefully we will be able to set up our own on any route we wish!

22. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

The first helper should be set up the same as the one you are driving from. Then press banking comm. The second helper should be set the sane as the trailing loco in the front set.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1