Setting Up Us Locomotives For Remote Operation

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Foxbat, Aug 22, 2020.

1. Foxbat

Foxbat New Member

Hello everyone, hopefully someone can help me here as I'm starting to tear my hair out over this. So I'm using TSW2 and I'm trying the scenario 'Fully Fulled' on the Sand Patch Grade and I cannot get the rear pair of locomotives to respond to instructions from the lead locomotive on the front of the train. They happily just sit there idling. For anyone who hasn't had a look at that scenario yet your train is formed of a pair of SD-40s on the front, a massive intermodal consist in the middle and a pair of GP-38s on the rear. The pair of SD-40s by themselves seem to have enough grunt to get everything moving and even up to a fair rate of speed. But you soon either nearly stall or end up crawling at 10mph on the severe gradients as, presumably, you're supposed to have the rear pair of GP-38s helping you up the hill (taking a run at it doesn't work as you catch up a freight in front so end up stalled or crawling once you hit a red signal).

I've tried every combination of MU-2A valves, having the engine run, generator field and control/fuel pump switches on/off on the lead locomotive of the rear pair and I've checked that all the radio fuses are set on. I've tried following the instructions here and that doesn't seem to help me either (it seems to be based off the manual here). This all seems to be TSW2020 based but I'm assuming, perhaps fatally, that this aspect of the game won't have changed!

So, can anyone please help me understand how to set up these locomotives correctly? An idiots guide would be appreciated as clearly the instructions I've found so far, which seem simple, are too sophisticated for this idiot here.

2. eirikm

eirikm New Member

Make sure that the "BANKING COMM" button is set to on. This will allow communication between remote locomotives.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Foxbat

Foxbat New Member

Thanks for your reply, any clue on where that might be? I can only find reference to it in relation to German locos and scouring the cab of a GP-38 yields no results!

4. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

I think it's the volume button on the radio.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. Foxbat

Foxbat New Member

Thank you both that got it. Just completed the scenario and having that second set of locomotives actually respond to instructions made all the difference. I guess that'll teach me for just discounting the radio stack as being decorative!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Joker729

Joker729 Member

Had the same issue. Would have been good to know about that little button an hour ago. Would have saved me a lot of headache :D

• Like Like x 1
  7. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

It's one of those things that long time players (like me) know that needs to be done, while more recent players have no way of knowing. Again, we need detailed manuals, not just quick start guides...

• Like Like x 6
  8. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

But when the manuals are not there, we're here to help each other :D

• Like Like x 3
  9. Joker729

Joker729 Member

Now I have a new problem on that scenario. I got to the summit and went to move the GPs to their new spot, but I can't get the signaler to answer me so I can bypass the red block behind me. Any ideas?

10. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

There are quite a few postings here and on the Steam forums regarding problems with getting HH locos running.
    Perhaps Sam & Matt could do a video tutorial as the existing manual appears somewhat inadequate.