Fmod Or Wwise To Handle In-game Audio

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by heyitspopcorn, Aug 23, 2020.

Tags:
  1. heyitspopcorn

heyitspopcorn Well-Known Member

I know a lot of suggestions are for new features and requests for new routes, and those are lovely. This one is a little boring in comparison, so I apologise in advance!

My suggestion/request for DTG to perhaps look into a license agreement for FMOD and Wwise (both of which can be integrated with Unreal Engine 4) to handle in-game audio. I don't see either of those, or any other audio engine, mentioned in the credits, and we all know that UE4's built-in sound player is not the greatest. FMOD and Wwise would provide a lot more flexibility for easily mixing sounds, playing more sounds at one time without cutting out, and additional modules can be added in from third-parties to add more reverb options (which could allow for different levels of reverb between, say, an underground platform/station and the tunnels on the Bakerloo line).

It might be something for the team to look into. I believe it would be a good starting point to move the audio forward in making it more immersive.

2. Maik Goltz

Maik Goltz Well-Known Member

There are some problems with this of course. First, FMOD or WWise dont support DLC based banks. You always need to update the main game to get a new DLC audio to work then. This may be ok for DTG only, but not for 3th parties then. Second problem is the licencing cost for DLC based games. Each DLC will call the costs for a single game lincence. You can easely calculate what this means and that this is basically not affordable, even not for DTG but definetly not for 3th parties.