Why So Small?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by pinxtonpaws, Aug 21, 2020.

1. pinxtonpaws

pinxtonpaws Guest

Would there be any chance to increase the size of the onscreeen distance marker (or better still revert it back to the one in TSW2020) because under certain weather conditions it's next to impossible to read what it says. Talking of small, is there any chance of being able to give the signal/speed overlay on the right hand side of the screen the same large+small option as the speedometer has?
    My eyes aren't as young as they used to be and with these new smaller items and narrow fonts i'm kind of finding it difficult to see things at a glance in the same way that I could with TSW so it would be nice to be given the option to make things more comfortable to see.

Also, would it be possible to bring back the red (max speed) line on the speedo because it just gives an overall better visual indication when you're trying to hold a train at the maximum allowed speed on an incline or slope (ie: When you're trying to hold xx mph and you can adjust accordingly if you see the dial sneaking over the red line) than that circle does.

Oh and it would be nice to return the clock into the speedo (and lose the horrible digital watch font) because at least that way everything you need to see is in close proximity of each other and it removes the need to have to try look at two things 51 inches apart from each other. Try bringing a train to a smooth stop whilst keeping an eye on the time as well as the speed you're travelling.

Thanks

• Like Like x 6
  2. gibsonaj1

gibsonaj1 Active Member

Totally agree with you. The font is too small and too thin. Needs be be larger and thicker or like you said have the option to have the previous HUD and screen display.

• Like Like x 2
  3. BBIAJ

BBIAJ Well-Known Member

I made a similar thread yesterday with almost the same requests, but also requesting the option to turn off the italicised font.

Italics are used to emphaise something, everything they're being used on in TSW2 doesn't need emphasising, it just needs to be readable at a distance!

• Like Like x 2
  4. LucasLCC

LucasLCC Well-Known Member

I just wish the information wasn't so spread out across the screen, as it makes it so much harder keeping an eye on everything.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Yeah, I’m kind of thinking the signal/speed part of the hud should be under the clock so there are just two areas (top left, bottom right) to see info rather than three. I do often miss speed changes or signals because I’m trying to be on time, keep my speed in check etc and forget to look at the top right of the screen.

• Like Like x 2
  6. pinxtonpaws

pinxtonpaws Guest

I've decided to put things down for a few weeks because i'm finding it a little too frustrating at the moment and don't want to spoil the moment. Strangely, that kind of works well for me because when TSW2 launched I was halfway thru a couple of those 'drive xx miles' achievements in TSW2020 and I really did want to complete them both...so this gives me the opportunity to do just that :)

I only bought the game because 'tight ex-northerner' mode kicked in when I saw the discount. Short arms and deep pockets...

• Like Like x 1
  7. Dallas117

Dallas117 Active Member

Ya I'm visually impaired and I don't like it lol, Gotta squint and look close at any marker, and not a big fan how they removed colour from everything, all back and white

• Like Like x 2
  8. ghall59

ghall59 Active Member

There is a waste of real estate in the top left as well, due time is next to the station name as well as with the current time.

9. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

The background to the text could do with being slightly darker too. Sometimes you can’t make out the text because the light out side obscures it.

10. krustynuggets

krustynuggets Well-Known Member

Really don't know why they changed the HUD i found the old 1 perfectly fine, all info was there when you removed all the markers from the screen, thinking it could of been changing stuff for the sake of changing stuff, nothing more.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Dallas117

Dallas117 Active Member

Ya I don't like the new slope indicator, it was fine before, also why did you move the clock it was fine in the HUD before

12. LucasLCC

LucasLCC Well-Known Member

To begin with, I absolutely hated the new hud. However, it's slowly growing on me, with the exception of:

The accelerometer. Why is this a circle? I can't find any logical explanation for using a circle.

The gradient. The image of a train is just wasteful and unneeded. The old hud showed this information much simpler and more compact.

• Like Like x 1
  13. olikas.g

olikas.g Member

I think the current image is too big, but I usually had trouble seeing the old one on console. It was too small.

14. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

The most needed text is the smallest text. Like an apology in a tabloid newspaper. How many yards until I need to stop? Was that story about Cliff Richard not actually true? Hard to tell, even if the answer is supposedly there.

• Like Like x 1
  15. blueghost

blueghost Member

Game has totally changed I have limited sight I one eye thus finding this game now ridiculously stupid, obviously all the team has 20/20 vision

16. Dallas117

Dallas117 Active Member

lol ya exactly

17. Dallas117

Dallas117 Active Member

Even my brother with 2020 vision still has to squint, and look close lol. I have a 75" 4K TV and it's so crisp and tiny haha,

18. pinxtonpaws

pinxtonpaws Guest

To be honest in the end I decided to slog it out and apart from the waypoint marker being hopelessly illegible you do get used to the new layout over time. Well, i've now completed 1014 miles so I assume I got used to it.
    Overall feelings are a bit mixed, mind you. Of the three locations the novelty of the 155mph 'ICE' train somewhat dwindled after a couple of runs (as well as the inevitable 'see how fast it goes 'til you derail attempt), Bakerloo isn't particularly interesting and whilst sand patch grade gives you plenty of time to take in the views (and safely make a coffee whilst the train is in motion) I found a single run more than enough for my liking. The bulk of my time has been invested in East Coastway (which admittedly I do like) and I think the yearning is now to have more of the preserved collection added to the base game.

A few things I have noticed:
    The class 377 door remains open until you manually close it (I'm sure it used to close at a certain speed)
    Is it possible to complete a Bakerloo route on time?
    Sand patch/winter/blizzard. It doesn't seem possible to get the longest available train rolling due to wheel slip?
    Completed scenarios/timetables have to be repeated in the journey chapters if you didn't originally select them from their lists.
    Rain too loud....train too quiet.
    XBox stats only partly working.
    The 'reach level xx' achievements are one out. Level 10 unlocks at Level 11 etc.
    ...and finally my very bad eagle eyes have spotted that the BR406 digital readout is out of sync with the speedo by appx 2.5mph. It intersects the line between 45 and 90mph (67.5mph) as the digital reading shows 70(ish) mph :)

But all in all for the price DTG were asking for TSW2 I have absolutely no regrets with my purchase and am looking forward to seeing both the old and the new added in at later dates.. Until then there's the small matter of 10,000 miles.

19. Dallas117

Dallas117 Active Member

Ya that's why I'm thinking they chose such a low price, which is very honourable on their behalf.