Livery Designer Wishlist

Discussion in 'Creators Club' started by DTG Protagonist, Aug 21, 2020.

1. DTG Protagonist

DTG Protagonist Has left the building Staff Member

Have you got the creative bug? What could we add to the livery designer to make it better?

2. KyleL

KyleL Well-Known Member

A fix for when the game crashes in livery editor,more shapes,color mixing & making the design on the other side of the train be on the other side of the car

• Like Like x 4
  3. Scarface

Scarface Active Member

Hi, it would be cool if you could combine two designed Talent units for example. At the moment you can design one, but the other one has the standard DB livery.

• Like Like x 5
  4. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

-Mirror/flip tool
    Would help with complex schemes that don't transition well when doing the copy method

-Custom brush/decal tool.
    There are some logos that I want to create but I can't transfer them between locos or rolling stock. A tool that allows us a flat canvas to create a custom decal using the in game shapes would help dramatically.

-More font types
    We are limited on the type of texts we can make with only 1 type of font in game, we need more variety.

-More general shapes
    Some more shapes to the decal tool would be nice. Especially gradients and stuff that would help with general weathering

-Ability to set the running number boards.

-Ability to save paint colors or show recently used colors on the color picker.

-Ability to delete layer groups without disbanding the group.

-Fix the glitch involved with layer groups and placing new layers.

• Like Like x 16
  5. ZeenozPlays

ZeenozPlays Well-Known Member

Well, I would like you guys to fix how it is with the 1972 Stock first, when I try to put something on the front, it glitches to the side.

Then, fix how it auto puts shapes down when you never told it to.

Add a Select and Delete Feature to make deleting unwanted shapes easier.

Add a “Mirror to other side” option.

And make it easier to copy a design to other cars.

• Like Like x 6
  6. CNtomato

CNtomato Member

Besides fixing the crashes and shape selection bug when you scroll it would be nice to have RGB values and being able to save custom shapes so we don’t have to redo logos for everything.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

• Ability to import and export graphics
    • Multiple fonts, and the ability to type instead of place, and the ability to use your PC's font library, or is PC a dirty word these days?
    • Being able to save your creations.
    • Varying gloss/matt and specularity.
    • Ability to create proper weathering
    • Being able to edit an existing livery to give a starting point?
    • Being able to share your creations to generate a thriving freeware and 3rd party community like in TS
    As it stands, I fail to see how you can create a convincing livery at all, and if you manage to do so somehow, you can't even save it, or share it. What is this actually for?

Am I asking too much? Probably... so....

Can someone please confirm whether it will be possible to edit and create liveries for TSW2 outside of the game like you can in TS using DXTBmp, RSBin Tool and Photoshop etc? I've not been able to get an answer to this. If not, it's a creative dead end.. a novelty, and not really a serious tool for a proper simulator.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2020
    • Like Like x 7
  8. Officer2506

Officer2506 Well-Known Member

Individual files for each livery design to make sharing easier.

• Like Like x 5
  9. JGRudnick

JGRudnick Well-Known Member

Everything you said with one addition..

I want to be able to set how often a livery spawns. Watching yesterday's stream, when Matt created the pink boxcars, when he loaded the scenario, nearly half the boxcars in the train were pink. What if I want just one car to spawn in the route at anytime? I am suggesting a feature that lets you set a percentage/ratio of how often you want a loco/car to spawn. For example, if you want a pink boxcar to spawn 3/4 boxcars, or less, like 1/100 boxcars are pink.

• Like Like x 6
  10. Blacknred81

Agreed, one time i had a pair of my GT locos appear in a scenario, and other times I cant get any custom loco to spawn.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

Easier? You mean actually possible, right? At the moment, you have to share everything.. and then it will overwrite everything on the recipient's machine, effectively making sharing impossible because their collection becomes a clone of yours..

12. joshpratchett

joshpratchett Member

- Would be really useful to have a 'recently used' colour pallet. Sometimes I'm struggling to match colours, i.e 3 slightly different shades of grey when it's intended to be the same as a previous shape if that makes sense.

- Would be really nice to have the option to be able to save certain grouped shapes/letters (for example if I created a version of a logo or an interesting shape/design), I could then use the same logo/shape on another separate livery design.

- Gloss / Matte effects would be a nice edition.

- Bug (PS4): When I'm selecting a shape, text or sign and I'm scrolling through the options, it registers it as me selecting every single shape I'm scrolling over. So you end up with like 5 or 6 random signs or shapes inserted as layers when I haven't actually selected them.

• Like Like x 3
  13. JGRudnick

- How about making it so when you make a group, you can add layers to the group without ungrouping the layers, and then regrouping them.

- An undo button

- An option to select an exact location and rotation

- When you delete a layer, auto select the next layer instead of scrolling through the list.

• Like Like x 5
  14. Blacknred81

This seems to be an issue with grouping layers for some reason. I tested it out on the PS4 last night, and when I had grouped layers, it would show up, once I broke the group apart, it stopped placing them. Hopefully it gets fixed in the future.

15. paultjuhhh

paultjuhhh New Member

Intergration with Google pictures or bing pictures so we can add pictures and logo’s to the Trains. This could work at consoles to i think.

• Like Like x 2
  16. KyleL

KyleL Well-Known Member

They said the issue would be copyright

17. paultjuhhh

paultjuhhh New Member

There is now a copyright license filter built into the Bing Image search that allows you to filter images by Creative Commons License. Maybe thats a solution? When we use it then is Personal use is it? Does DTG need a licentice when i stick a image on a train at my own computer?

18. KyleL

KyleL Well-Known Member

Oh thats interesting didn't know you could do that with Creative Commons License

19. JGRudnick

Also the ability to paint the trucks and fuel tanks on locomotives. There are many examples of US railroad's painting the undercarriage in colors other than black.

Here's some examples...
    Gray
    upload_2020-8-21_17-51-22.png

Silver
    upload_2020-8-21_17-51-57.png

Blue
    upload_2020-8-21_17-52-39.png

• Like Like x 6
  20. mkennaway

mkennaway Well-Known Member

I have barely driven anything in TSW2 as I keep playing in livery editor, it's a very good start. In all honesty I was not expecting it to be so good. You have to be creative but intricate and detailed designs are all possible.

Things I would like to see improved are...
    A way to save groups for later use e.g. I have made a Chessie Gp38 , Wisconsin central gp38 and Union Pacific sd40 and ac4400cw the logos are quite time consuming. I'm going to do a chessie sd40 but I have to start over again. It would be so much easier if I could just use the logo i already made for the GP38.

Being able to colour a whole group would be very helpful and save alot of time. E.g I painted the handrails the wrong colour, I had to split the group up I'd put them in and change each colour individually.

A way to use a colour you have already used. So I made the dark blue on the roof of the chessie, when I then goto do the writing etc it would be good to be able to just use the same blue I already used.

The GP38 also has a small bug, if you place a square on the upper half of the body it mirrors it on the other side, only seems to happen with shapes not text.

A couple of extra fonts. You can do alot with the existing one, stretching/squewing etc but still abit limited.

A transparency option, this would be great for weathering if you could make a shape more transparent.

A way to make a livery that your making 'live' I have a couple which are half finished, when you play a scenario/timetable these can still appear. Would be good to have a way to keep a livery still your working on from not appearing in the game.

All in all though, well done DTG for the editor. I found once I had got the hang of projection it opened up a whole new world of possibilities and allows you to add alot of extra detail.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2020
    • Like Like x 6
  21. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

The option to mirror a shape you’ve placed so it will mirror on to the other side of the train. There’s nothing worse than trying to place it in the exact spot.

A size guide, when placing multiple letters/shapes we have to “eyeball” the size, if we could see the size we’re changing it to would be helpful.

The option to save colours we’ve used, that way each unit won’t have a slight different colour of red for example.

More shapes would be very welcome.

The ability to save your own created logos/designs. (e.g, if I create the DB logo, I should be able Tom save it so I don’t have to make it every time on a different loco, I can just go into a folder called My Created Layers” and pick which logo I want, whether it’s DB red, green or pink (thinking of Matt here).

The ability to share designs.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  22. JGRudnick

Lots of great suggestions, I hope they all make it in at some point.
    Matt said hex code will be introduced in the next update, this will allow you to pick specific colors, rather than finding one that almost matches.

• Like Like x 1
  23. JGRudnick

I believe Matt said a mirror feature is in the works to be released in the next update.

In Forza Horizon 4, they also have a "livery designer" feature for the cars. One thing they have that TSW2 doesn't is the ability to save your layers, to use on another car (I have never actually used the feature because who wants two cars to look identical?). This would be really helpful because I want to make a CSX YN3 livery for all 3 available locomotives in Sand Patch Grade. When I create the livery say on the GP38-2, I want to take that identical livery and apply it to say the AC4400CW, and then move the pieces around a touch, instead of spending 2 hours and starting from scratch.

• Like Like x 2
  24. mkennaway

mkennaway Well-Known Member

Yeh even if it was possible just to save a layer group like the logo's it would save so much time, the stripes/shapes of a basic livery etc aren't to time consuming but making decent looking logos is.

• Like Like x 2
  25. JGRudnick

When using the livery designer, when I zoom in up close to the locomotive/cars, there is a hissing noise. Is this supposed to be the sound of spray painting the units? Can there be an option to turn it off? It gets a little annoying while I'm trying to do a lot of small detailed work.

• Like Like x 1
  26. kiyoko91

kiyoko91 Well-Known Member

U.S. city & state flags.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  27. Rail Runner

Rail Runner Well-Known Member

I think that it would be cool to take the Original livery that was given to us, and then copy and edit it.

28. jamesonmin

jamesonmin Well-Known Member

Different fonts...
    my KCS loco kinda looks weird

• Like Like x 1
  29. Rail rider

Rail rider New Member

The ability to upload and download designs from others would be nice, coming from someone who isn’t very gifted with the skill of creativity.

• Like Like x 3
  30. Luke8899

Luke8899 Well-Known Member

There's a bug that randomly adds layers of shapes and/or letters and numbers when you are in the editor. It usually begins around the 10th layer, after that, selecting a new letter will almost always for me, add 3 or 4 layers with other letters, something similar happens with shapes too. I'm on PS4.

Aside from bug fixes, I think these fetaures would be welcome:

- An opacity tool for layers.

- Either a colour naming system or a colour matching feature, so matching colours across layers or carriages is easier.

- A feature to add dirt to the trains for a more worn look.

• Like Like x 6
  31. steadfast

steadfast Member

+1 for the ability to save groups of shapes and reuse on other repaints. Using this technique in Forza, I can draw up a logo, then put it on whatever car I like. Saves lots of time and improves consistency

• Like Like x 5
  32. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

Many have been mentioned already. Out of them, the most important ones for me would be:
    - saving groups as new shapes - creating complicated groups (logos, writings) is really difficult and you have to do it again and again on new vehicles
    - separate liveries in save files - them being in a whole collection seriously hinders the little sharing that can be done
    - shape size number, colour code (the latter is supposedly worked on) - "Is that letter the same size as that one? Somewhat... uuugh"
    - more fonts - at least bold versions of letters would help
    A couple I have noticed is not mentioned so far:
    - gradient shapes compression - when adding a gradient shape (to create dirt for example), it looks fine in the livery editor, but the game then compresses it for the use and creates bad looking stripes on it
    CP-5.png
    - add new gradient shapes - for example, to create radiant dirt around the exhausts and vents, rust water streams etc.
    - number field - when you create a replication of a specific locomotive, you end up with two options (especially on US locos) - have a road number colliding with the number plate or an empty place. The option to add a number field, that randomly generates number the same way game does for basic locos and that is the same as on the number plates.
    number plate.png
    - projection bandwidth - so far you can only set how far the projection of a shape reaches and while this is a great tool, it definitely needs a limit from the other side as well, so you can only paint a more distant surface (on AC4400CW, for example, you can't paint the walkways without the radiator, all the latches on the sides and you have to be really careful to stay off the railings)
    - sensitivity settings - I tried both the keyboard and the controller and I still feel like moving the shapes is sometimes really rough, there needs to be a setting for a more fine movement (also applies to selector like in case of projection level)
    - grid - letting us project a grid on the loco would help align shapes better (also settings for grid roughness)

• Like Like x 10
  33. stinkyheadsman

stinkyheadsman Member

Not possible for copyright reasons.

34. Rail Runner

Rail Runner Well-Known Member

Ah fair enough

35. stinkyheadsman

stinkyheadsman Member

I think that it is mainly because the logos are copyrighted, on top of the fact that that colour scheme can be copyrighted (at least in certain parts of the world) if it is a defining part of the company. Haven't picked up TSW2 yet, but I would like to see different fonts, more gradients, among other things that would make the loco look more real (gradients). I think that maybe you could have something like Transport Fever with dirt, like having a "gun" to apply dirt to the loco. This could be changed in size and strength to help make loco designing easier

36. JGRudnick

I have that same bug happening to me too, I'm on PC

Matt said hex code will be part of the next livery designer update, that will allow us to match colors exactly.

• Like Like x 2
  37. Kentuckyrailfan486

Kentuckyrailfan486 Member

Something that I feel would be a cool feature is the ability to add autorunning numbers to your custom liveries. When customizing your livery, there would be an option that says "running numbers," and when you initiate that function, you can set up the font of the numbers, how many digits there are, the color of the numbers, spacing, and even letters for special road numbers. This feature would then allow you to apply special layers to wherever you want on the locomotive/railcar you are trying to reskin (Eg: side of railcars, on top of railcars, numberplates). This would allow for much more variety as even a small detail such as a number can really improve the immersion aspect.

Another thing I would like to see is the ability to choose what parts of a railcar or locomotive to edit. I've noticed when you try to apply a shape onto the side or front of a locomotive, it can overlap onto the handrails and other parts that are at level with the body of the locomotive. To my knowledge, I have found no way to fix this problem at the moment. Adding groups of locomotive parts that you can paint and paste layers on individually (Handrails, grilles, underframe, bogies, ETC.) Would make it easier to paint certain parts of a locomotive without having to worry about any overlapping issues.

I've also noticed that some railcars have parts that cant be modified. (Eg: the autorack's silver rainshields, which takes up a great deal of space and normally where the logos get painted onto anyway). Making those parts modifiable would also help make things easier.

• Like Like x 3
  38. JGRudnick

After putting the layer you want on the body of the locomotive, put another layer on top. Then move the projection slider to the left until the layer moves off the body. If it shows on the running boards, keep moving the projection slider to the left until the second layer shows only the railings.

Hope this helps, if not, say so and I'll get you some pictures.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  39. Kentuckyrailfan486

It worked! Many thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  40. Jonte302

Jonte302 New Member

I have only played around with the livery designer for a short while, but there is one thing that i have noticed.
    It whould be great if you could scale the speed at which the shapes are moved (rotated, scaled eg.). Or I guess, in other words, change the sensitivity for the keyboard inputs. For example, trying to paint the doors of a unit without paint bleed on to the body of the unit is really hard. And worse still, painting wery few pixels. For example, painting the area inbetween the top of the door and the gutter (or whatever you call it) on the talent 2. I have not found a way to make a shape the exakt size of that area.

41. Kentuckyrailfan486

I think something that would be cool would be to have the ability to change how frequent your liveries/DLC Locomotives appear on the lines you choose them for.

For example, say I'm running the Oakville sub, and I have a reskinned CN SD40. I could choose whether it runs on that line in timetable or not, and I can choose how frequent.

Never
    Seldom
    Very Rare
    Rare
    Uncommon
    Common
    Very common
    Frequent
    Very frequent
    Always

Doing this for every reskin would make it much more immersive to real life, and it would also give the user more freedom and personalization

• Like Like x 3
  42. Blacknred81

Allow us to add decals to the sides of the Autoracks, most Railroads usually have their markings on there (Including the default CSX one) but we currently cant put layers up there.

Snapshot_20200823_112214.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  43. Giacomo Giugiaro

Giacomo Giugiaro Member

I've used the livery design for 4 hours already, and there are a few work-breaking things that just throw me into a pit of frustration!

First of all, please, for the love of God, remove the bind for changing the view from key "C"!
    - Every single time I'm using the rotate/shear tool I accidentally press "C" and lose all transformations I did to the shape!
    - The rotate/shear tool keys are already uncomfortably far from Ctrl/Shift. I'd rather have them be "X" and "C".
    - Bind the change view button to a key further away from the transform keys, like "U" or "O".

Also, for what reason, after pressing "T", I can't move the shape around with the arrow keys?
    I'd expect to be able to adjust the position of the shape while scaling X/Y or shearing, especially when matching an angle. And it would help a lot if I could.

Mirroring would save me a lot of trouble trying to match shapes that already have been scaled, sheared and grouped.
    Please add this tool to the editor. Not just in relation to the shape's origin, but also in relation to the car's origin.

Another thing that I'd love to have would be shape coordinates, like XY position, scale, rotation and shear.
    Not only have the visual information, but being able to input values into the coordinates directly could help ease out the workflow.

Also, coordinates for colour, like RGB and/or HSV.
    I can copy shapes with the same colour and reuse them, but when I need a different shape in the same colour, it's hard to match them perfectly.

On the same note, save colours would be very useful!

It also isn't very clear what the Projection Tool is for.
    I sort of understood what it is for, but I'm not sure as well what it can do.

Finally, the ability to save groups of shapes, so that I can reapply them in other livery projects, would be the cherry on top!
    If I take an hour to create a logo and am planning on using it on more than one train, I DO NOT want to take another hour to redo the same thing, especially given the painstaking process given the lack of tools and the current, infuriating, UI/UX implementation
    - For example, I did one logo (after a lot of f***s thrown into the air) that was placed on the first train but haven't done so in the second one because... I've lost the patience to do so this week!
    . 20200823153512_1.jpg
    20200823215124_1.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  44. JGRudnick

- Mirroring will be added in the next update.
    - At the moment mirroring can be achieved by selecting a layer and moving both the angle and projection sliders to the right.
    - Hex code will also be available after the next update. This will allow us to match colors exactly

I will try to explain the projection tool. The projection sliders determines how far back the layer projects. Slide it to the left, the less the layer projects back. This is especially useful when you want say the railings on a NA loco to be a different color than the body. You would place a layer down over the railings, then slide the projection sliders to the left until the layer no longer shows on the body or running boards. If you have any more questions I will try to get some pictures tomorrow to show you.

- The ability to save layers/layer groups would so very helpful.

• Like Like x 2
  45. Blacknred81

A glitch ive been coming across, but fix layers that for no reason cannot be grouped together. Have had this happen a few times, with no cause.... Snapshot_20200823_170611.jpg

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
  46. trigzd

trigzd Active Member

Same here, at first I thought it was just because of the layer limit but it appears not. The glitch where it places any shape you hover over when adding a new shape can also be really quite tedious - I feel like I'm playing Minesweeper trying not to hover over any other shapes to get to the one I want.

On a different note, could it be changed so that if something is in a group it remembers the groups settings when ungrouped? For instance I had grouped a bunch of shapes in order to project them to cut down on layers, owing to the above glitch I could only do a few at once and then have to ungroup and start a new group, then all except the first shape in each group had not kept its projection settings once ungrouped. Also, it would be really cool if we could flip a shape using projection, this would cut down on layers used like letters and other designs that need to be a certain way around. With this in mind, it'd be much easier if we could type whole words rather than placing individual letters, especially as they're currently so finicky to line up. Could someone also check if W is actually capitalised in game? It seems to be much smaller in comparison with other letters when first added.

• Like Like x 2
  47. westcastlerail

westcastlerail Active Member

My top 3 would be
    1) Axis co-ordinates (especially useful for getting lines straight!)
    2) Save colours
    3) Some sort of airbrush spray for weathering

• Like Like x 5
  48. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Colour palette and eyedropper tool.
    A ‘disable spawning’ checkbox for those fun, or terrible, liveries you don’t want to spawn all the time.
    A levelling tool for when you have accidentally rotated something for example (or an undo function for the same reason).

Different mode of controls for console controllers - I would find this so much easier to use if you selected one function with a cursor and then the controls only changed that function, rather than having a bunch of active controls for each trigger on the controller at the same time. A list of the functions selectable with the dpad left and right, then the triggers or sticks control only that function.

• Like Like x 2
  49. jamesonmin

jamesonmin Well-Known Member

Custom liverys for preserved collection....

• Like Like x 5
  50. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Pictures of the loco, wagon, train in the menu instead of just the names.
    Possibly thumbnail pictures of your own creations too when you’ve made them
    Ability to do liveries of the shipping containers, I say, the ability to do liveries of the shipping containers. That needed saying twice.

• Like Like x 5