1972 Stock Reversing You Train?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by SHINO BAZ, Aug 24, 2020.

1. SHINO BAZ

SHINO BAZ Well-Known Member

I know the bakerloo line trains have a reverse but i can't get them to reverse so hows this work?

2. krustynuggets

krustynuggets Well-Known Member

Switch on other side of the cab was shown in one of the streams, not used hardly as tube stock ain't ment to go backwards normally.

3. krustynuggets

krustynuggets Well-Known Member

Other side of the cab you are sitting in can't remember exactly what switch it is, but it has a protective cover on it, hope that gives you a better clue dude.

4. SHINO BAZ

I found reverse cut out switch thanks,this isn't just a train sim it's a guessing game,i can't watch every stream i don't always now about a problem until it becomes one.

5. Bryer

Bryer Well-Known Member

In real life, if you've overshot the platform, it's a whole heap of trouble. As mentioned before LU trains are not meant to be reversed. Miss a station, then you've got a very long please explain email to write and reports to do.

6. SHINO BAZ

Since the 1972 stock can visit other routes reverse has it uses for other reasons.

7. Knightfire1964

Knightfire1964 Well-Known Member

Yeah but in real life it's only meant to be used for 1 route and rarely would go of to another route I found though personally I haven't had to touch the reverse at all when playing the underground as I feel the brakes are good enough to stop you even if your late to turn them on

• Like Like x 1
  8. Bryer

Bryer Well-Known Member

You would NEVER reverse a passenger train of this type in real life without a shunter at the rear (which you wouldn't get in TSW). You would be expected to walk through and drive from the front facing cab for the direction of travel.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Why aren’t they supposed to reversed? What is the technical or safety reason?

10. Bryer

Bryer Well-Known Member

It's a Network Rail rulebook instruction for mainline operations and I'm pretty sure it's a LU instruction too. You cannot reverse a train on the network without a shunter or competent person (Mobile Operations Manager) at the rear of the train to make sure it is safe to make the movement.

Points could be set against the train (see Tonbridge Depot incident yesterday), there could be people behind the train that do not know it's about to travel in the wrong direction.

But most of all, its common sense. If you cannot see where you are going, you don't know it's safe, hence why you should as a driver, walk through the train and view the direction of travel.

• Like Like x 1
  11. SHINO BAZ

Just wondering what kind of shunter would fit in a tunnel like the tube train tunnel and it seems like a major hassle to clear the line for a any shunter unless the tube train was broken down.

12. Bryer

Bryer Well-Known Member

That's why no tube train would reverse under normal operations, it would always go forward to the next station. You would have to close the platform, and have LU staff on the platform to perform the move if it was to reverse.

13. Olaf the Snowman

Olaf the Snowman Well-Known Member

Do you know for definite or are you just assuming the same rules as mainline apply to underground? If you know for definite (I.e. you are a train operator for London Underground or similar) then I won’t argue with you. The reason why I ask is because I’m *pretty sure* you’re incorrect.

14. Bryer

Bryer Well-Known Member

If you read the post properly, you would have seen that I was assuming LU have a similar instruction to NR.

Having been on failed Bakerloo line trains, that have been in a tunnel a short way from a station at the rear, we did not reverse, we went forward to the next station when the driver was able to clear the fault. The train was then taken out of service.

Quoting a Jubilee line operator from another forum:
    "The Jubilee line trains can still be put into reverse manually if you override the automatic system. So, technically you can reverse back into a platform if the safety checks are carried out and the driver switches from one end of the train to the other."

So in summary, you cannot reverse a tube train and drive from the end facing away from the direction of travel. You have to place the cab into reverse, and then change ends.

PS - If a LU operator is around and wants to clarify then please do, I'm just assuming from what I see as a Network Rail approved driver that spends quite a lot of time passing around on the Bakerloo line to get to my depot.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
  15. Olaf the Snowman

It was a later post that you stated that you made an assumption. I’ve asked a train operator and you are indeed incorrect: You can reverse back (I.e. Do NOT have to change ends) as long as you haven’t overrun by more than one car length and that you do not go over points, NR lines or stations with platform sliding doors.

If you’re a mainline driver, you forgot the golden rule that you should never make assumptions ;)

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
  16. Bryer

Bryer Well-Known Member

Well I stand corrected. I can assume as much as I like dear fellow, as long as I don't assume the next signal will be green.

17. Olaf the Snowman

To be fair to you, it does seem intuitive that you can’t reverse like on the mainline. I was also very surprised when I found that out as well.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Bryer

Bryer Well-Known Member

Well it would be interesting to see if they can reverse after Queens Park, as the TFL Overground DC lines share the infrastructure, which are controlled by Wembley Mainline signallers and not the Queens Park LU box.

• Like Like x 1