Suggestion: Restore Joy2key Functionality! This Is A Regression From Tsw1

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by DROGE, Aug 23, 2020.

1. DROGE

DROGE Active Member

My suggestion is to restore the ability for joystick to kemboard emulators to work with TSW2. With programs like Joy2key, a joystick can be used with TSW1 - not as axes but, for example, a single push forward on a joystick axis can send a 'A' event to TSW1 for the throttle, and pulling the axis in hte other direction can similarly send a 'D' key press.

This is what made TSW playable for me - I am used to TS Classic with full joystick support via the Raildriver driver. Going back to keyboard use for TSW2 is not something I, nor many others, can stomach.

I was amazed to discover that TSW2 will no longer accept key presses that come from a joystick emulator - so this is a serious backwards step / downgrade from TSW1.

I refunded TSW2 and 3 addons this evening - purely on account of this disappointing move.

Please bring this functionality back!

2. Rush

Rush Member

If raildriver support is what allowed you to play the way you’re asking, the roadmap says they’re already working on support for it and external hardware support

3. DROGE

DROGE Active Member

No, it's nothing to do with Raildriver support. It's a simple joystick emulator, that produces a keyboard press (eg. 'A' for the throttle in TSW) when you move an assigned joystick axis. In that regard, it doesn't interefere ot interact with the sim. It's just an external app that's open in the background, that generates a key press, when the joystick is moved. As I said, it worked with TSW, in fact these programs work with any program I've previously come across. Eg.. In TSW2020, the sim is not even aware that Joy2Key is even installed - it just received the keypress in the same way as if you have pressed 'A' on the keyboard. I've never come across a programe of any type that goes to the effort of somehow blocking the key presses that are generated from an emulator.