PlayStation Talent 2 Brakes (tsw2)

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Mattty May, Aug 23, 2020.

1. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

The brakes for the Talent 2 on TSW 2 seem just marginally better than having no brakes at all - even at 100% application. I don’t know if this is true to real life, but the Talent 2 on Rapid Transit (TSW 2020) seemed way more responsive.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Knightfire1964

Knightfire1964 Well-Known Member

i think because they seem more responsive in tsw 2020 is that we don't have adhesion probably

• Like Like x 2
  3. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

The Aachen Turnaround scenario is driving me insane.

4. Knightfire1964

Yeah know your feeling glad I finished that scenario

• Like Like x 1
  5. delucadomenico2009

delucadomenico2009 Active Member

To make a good brake when you are running at 160km/h when you approach a signal with the speed limitation ("8" for exemple) put the brake until "6/7" to slow down below 85km/h asap. I don't know if is the same in real life but it seems impossible to evitate the penalty brake from the pzb if you do a soft brake (for exemple 5)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I’ve been applying the brakes hard, up to 8, 9 and 10, but notice I start getting wheel slip. I just have to get better through practice, but the brakes leave a lot to be desired.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  7. delucadomenico2009

No, 8 or more is too strong for first application. Try to start the brake as soon as you see the signal (normally at ~200m) and start to brake with a graduality increase 1-2-3-4-5-6 normally, you will pass the signal with 50% of brake applicated yet. And it helps you a bit. If you want to do practice if you are cooming fron koln, after duren station, the is a stop with a switch and you need to decrease from 160 to 80. It is a good one.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Knightfire1964

i think i will use the marker boards though as if i'm on 160km/h i get caught out trying to get down to 85km/h without wheel slipping

• Like Like x 1
  9. delucadomenico2009

Normally we could use the kilometers table on the right side of the track like in real life. If you know at which kilometers your next station is you can approach the station (and the signal) much sefety. But if you set your brake at 65% before pass the signal than acknowledge you can decelerate without problem. The knowledge of the track helps a lot too. However it takes practice and it will be easy to menage.

• Like Like x 1
  10. 52hahgz

52hahgz New Member

I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed Talent 2 is not braking at all in TSW2! I worked it out starting the braking procedure way before what I used to in TSW2020. The problem is sometimes I start too early so I put the lever back to 0 and coasting to reach the incoming station, but nonetheless I resume braking too late and find myself with the first half of the train beyond the end of the platform!

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  11. diamondderp

diamondderp Guest

The brakes in real life also sucks, but not that bad as in TSW2 I think. If yes, how can they drive 160 km/h without LZB? The DB BR 425 can only drive 140 km/h without LZB, and it have better brakes then the Talent 2.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2020
  12. 4-COR

4-COR Well-Known Member

I did my first service in the talent 2 in a blizzard... that wasn't a good idea...

13. kevin.charb81

kevin.charb81 Well-Known Member

It's actually made for a discouraging experience overall. Not simply because it's more challenging, but because it doesn't feel authentic.

14. davehard24

davehard24 New Member

The combined handle is a pretty weak brake but the indirect brakes are much stronger (L1/L2).

15. Trainzdriver328

Trainzdriver328 Active Member

Didn't you mean LZB? Because without PZB they are not allowed to drive on German routes. With PZB they have a top speed of up to 140 km / h, with LZB 160 km / h. But I think some units should regardless of whether you have the LZB on or not, you still need to drive 140 km / h.

16. 52hahgz

52hahgz New Member

Here's what happened to me yesterday. I was driving a Talent2 at 160 kph. Wheather was clear; no rain , no snow, no nothing. The HUD showed clear signal ahead, no speed restrictions. Zooming in I spotted a flashing green signal ahead, announcing a temporary speed restriction at 80 kph because of tracks conditions (crossing over to another track). I immediately slammed onto the breaks, I passed the signal, acknowledged the PZB, but after the 23 seconds imposed by the safety system I was still doing 100 kph and so the forced safety braking kicked in. I restared the service and tried to brake harder, but all I got was wheels slipping and the emergency braking kicked in again. It's either me being dumb or the Talent 2 having some serious issues.

17. Samo1

Samo1 Well-Known Member

Same thing happened to me, I simply couldn’t t brake under 85kph in the 23 seconds from 160 Kph

18. diamondderp

diamondderp Guest

Yes, I meant LZB

19. Slemcer

Slemcer Well-Known Member

That's only true for the BR 425, for other locos the top speed with PZB is 160 km/h, even if LZB isn't available or activated.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
  20. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I would reasonably expect the Talent 2 to brake from 160kph to 85kph in 23 seconds in order for it to comply with PZB. But either we are not braking sufficiently in advance of the signal before acknowledging PZB or the Talent 2 brakes in TSW 2 are poorly simulated. It could be both. All I know is that they perform very differently to the brakes on the Rapid Transit DLC in TSW 2020.

• Like Like x 1
  21. delucadomenico2009

Or there is a problem with the signal sequense, maybe there will need another signal with a speed restiction before (maybe at 120kmh), this one will not activate the pzb mode, but it will help a lot for a sefety brake sequence. I suspect it because if you run correctly you alwasys arrive at the next stop with 40 seconds ordi a minute before the time table time. This probably means that the braking sequence that we do in the game is too hard that the real life, for this reason we take ~50 seconds on the running time

• Like Like x 1
  22. box215

box215 Active Member

I don't see any problems with the brakes on the Talent 2
    You just need to proactively start slowing down the SECOND you see the upcoming speed reduction
    if you only start breaking once you've acknowledged PZB, you'll never get to 85 in time.
    It's hard to miss the flashing green signal
    Or, if it's the triangle sign, also very easy to see well before you pass it.
    Especially in dry conditions, getting down from 155 to 85 never results in a PZB stop for taking too long

23. L89

L89 Well-Known Member

I've had to adjust the way I brake with this. It's been a real interesting experience especially when you're going 160km in snow and then see those speed reductions come at you. Will be interesting to see how the Rapid Transit version performs.

• Like Like x 1
  24. delucadomenico2009

I have the rapid transit and tried it, seems the brake force is a bit better on the rapid transit version, maybe it depends from the configuration of the train (3 coaches, on koln - aachen are 4). I'm in italy so i have never tried the talent 2 in real life, but honestly i think that slow down from 160kmh to 85 kmh within 700m or 23 seconds is too strong for a confortable brake for passengers. Maybe i'm wrong. But in the game is possible to do it, just you need to start braking session ~150m before the signal

25. Knightfire1964

I still think the braking is different from rapid transit due to the added affect of adhesion