West Somerset Newbie

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ivor, Aug 26, 2020.

1. Ivor

Ivor New Member

Hi.

I am new to the game and trying out the west Somerset line. I am struggling with the first scenario, running with an enthusiast train from Bishop Lydeard. By the first station I have no water I the tender so I fail. The station (cranfield heath?) Has no water tower that i can see to refill? Help please.

I have tried playing the second one with the santa special with no problems.

Thanks.

ID

2. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

No water in the tender or the boiler? In the HUD you'll see two figures for water- a percentage which represents the level in the boiler and a number telling you how much is left in the tender. I'm not familiar with the West Somerset but, presuming you started full, there's no way any tanks let alone tender tanks should be empty by the first stop so it does sound like the boiler's getting low. That being the case you need to inject more water- if you're using the HUD click the water level (next to the fire) to toggle the injectors.

In the overall settings you'll find an option to turn on the auto-fireman which will take care of firing leaving you free to drive. He's not very clever tending to build pressure relentlessly until the safety valves blow then doing it again (IRL the fireman should know the route as well as the driver and anticipate when steam is needed and when it may not be) but I'm surprised it isn't on by default. Firing and driving were (almost) always separate jobs and I for one find driving to be quite enough to be getting on with.

Edit: Having had another read of this I wonder if it is the tanks that are empty and perhaps you're expected to fill them before you set off.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2020
  3. paulkemp

paulkemp New Member

I have a related question. If you drive a steam train on a route without water towers is there a way to replenish the water (a secret key).

4. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

No.
    The game simulates what you can do in real life - filling the tender by pushing a button somewhere is not one of them

5. JJTimothy

I think the solution here is to clone the route then edit the copy to add watering points. I'm no expert when it comes to route editing but you should be able to import water cranes from another route, presuming you have one with suitable assets, and place them where you need them.

6. Ivor

Ivor New Member

Brilliant. Thanks. I think that must be the issue. It hadn't occurred to me that I need to fire the loco too. Will give that a go, I thought it was odd to use a whole tender up in that distance.

ID

7. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

As there are Watering points on the WSR why not use those instead of looking for others?

8. JJTimothy

I think you're conflating this question, which is about running steam on routes or a route that lack watering facilities, with the original about the WSR.

9. JJTimothy

Indeed- even a tank engine with relatively modest water capacity should be able to manage some tens of miles. You did mention that you had completed another scenario though which is what got me second guessing.

10. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

There is the automatic fireman which can be turned on or off in the settings, so you don't have to fire yourself. The automatic fireman is not as efficient or possibly immersive, although in reality a driver doesn't drive and fire.

11. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

The OP started by saying he was unable to complete a scenario on the WSR and asked how to refill en route.
    If he cloned the route, as you suggested, he could put copies of other watering points at the intermediate stations,

Peter

12. JJTimothy

Indeed but it was Paul Kemp who asked about topping up water tanks and he meant in routes that don't have watering points not the WSR.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2020