Banking On Csx With Ac4400.

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by GregOuz, Aug 28, 2020.

1. GregOuz

GregOuz Member

Hello, I was driving with two ac4400 at the front and one at the rear of the train. I set up all the locomotives, but the brakes on the banking loco does not seem to work, the levers do not move when I brake! Is that normal?

Thanks.

2. Stockton Rails

Stockton Rails Well-Known Member

You might need to check with other folks here on whether or not the brake handle actually moves (is animated) when the loco is in banked mode... I don’t have TSW 2 yet, so I don’t actually know.

That said, are you sure you’ve configured the banking correctly in your train? Can you list those steps for me? You won’t be able to enable the helper-units in the back until all of the locos have been configured properly, and the banking radio is then turned on (as a last step) in the lead unit up front.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
  3. GregOuz

GregOuz Member

Here's my setup:

Front lead:
    Engine, generator, fuel pump all three on
    Brake cut-in and lead on the ifd
    Radio fuze on

Front rear:
    Engine, generator, fuel pump all three off
    Brake cut-out and rear on the ifd.

Banking only one loco:
    Engine, generator, fuel pump all three on
    Brake cut-in and lead (but the loco was in the rear position) on the ifd
    Radio fuze on

Back in the front lead to turning on the banking comm on the radio.

All reversers and throttle levers in front lead and banker worked well, but none of the brakes levers.

Last thing, it was on Powering America part II

4. Trainmania100

Trainmania100 Well-Known Member

Thought you might as well had the three switches in the dead front loco switched ON rather than off,
    Other than that your setup sounds fine. I wouldn't expect the brake levers to move by theirself

5. Stockton Rails

I think everything looks good with your settings, but a couple of other things come to mind though:

1) I wonder if the brake lever movement in banked locos is not shown in TSW 2 (either intentionally or unintentionally)? You could check with other folks here and see what the brake levers do in their banked locos. Also note the previous poster said the levers don’t actually move- and I’m wondering if they’re actually working despite not moving. You could do a stopping distance test with and without the helper in ‘banked’ mode to verify that... if the helper is really contributing to the braking effort when banked, the stopping distance should be shorter.

2) I also wonder if banking doesn’t work in TSW 2 when running a single helper in the back. I think I might’ve ran into that issue in my Hamilton Explorer free-roam scenario running under TSW 2020... I will verify that later today and get back to you.

6. Stockton Rails

Ok... so it looks like you *can* set up a single loco in the back of the train as a fully functional helper unit... I just did this in my Hamilton Explorer free-roam scenario in Oakville Sub with no issues. I also verified that the Reverser and Throttle do move in sync with the lead units up front.

The Auto brake and Independent brake levers do not move at all, but in fact the auto brake actually does work! I verified that by watching the brake cylinder pressure drop to zero when the auto brake was fully released, and also watched the actual brake cylinders and saw them release the brakes. You can try this out as well and let me know if this works for you.

P.S. I’ll try and upload some pics in the next day or so.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2020
  7. Richard CZE

Richard CZE Well-Known Member

The main locomotive in the rear group must have the brakes set to Lead or dead.
    Other locomotives in the rear group brakes set trail 6 - 26.
    Then all locomotives will brake.