Do You Like Social Experience In Gaming? (share Opinions)

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Gustavo - The RailWorker, Aug 30, 2020.

1. Gustavo - The RailWorker

Gustavo - The RailWorker Member

Hello Train Drivers,
    This Thread was created for players to share if they really want social experience in train sim world.
    Share What you think about being social with other players.

- are you a Loner player?
    - or do you love socializing with multiplayer?

by: Gustavo - The RailWorker

2. CC Johnson

CC Johnson Active Member

No.

• Like Like x 3
  3. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

To be honest, multiplayer hold little to no interest for me. The reason is I usually have limited periods I get to devote to my “play” time and often those periods are unpredictable when they will happen. Since I can’t play on a schedule, it makes it very difficult to establish sessions.
    Most systems where you can set up an ad hoc session, it is a crap shoot on the quality of the session based on others personality. I found I was spending more time with the mechanics of establishing multiplayer sessions than I did actually 0laying in multiplayer scenarios.

That being said, I have had a few gems where the multiplayer session was a blast. But those were the exceptions and not the rule. I am not against multiplayer being developed and supported by DTG, but I would probably not participate because of the above reasons. I will get my socialization through my real life activities which is more preferable to me.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Gustavo - The RailWorker

I love socializing in gaming just helps make more contact and make friends when you are in such a lonely place like a computer.
    multiplayer while driving a train with others is just another thing.
    I think ways of socializing in the train sim world main menu is more than enough

5. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

No argument with your statement at all, that is why I stated I would have no qualms if DTG wants to implement and support such an option. There are a lot of other features I would rather see implemented first, such steam engines, before DTG’s limited resources are moved to developed multiplayer. I would be hopeful that DTG”s market research has garnered the desires of the user base and prioritized those desires.

• Like Like x 2
  6. olsbyn

olsbyn Active Member

I think a form of multiplayer could be fun, either as running the same train as engineer and conductor, or as cooperative tasks with several consists. Imagine steam engines with a fireman and engineer., but, as fun as it would be, I want to see other game elements like actually getting steam engines to TSW first. Other than that I like being social in form of a forum or similar, whn it comes to the gaming itself I think a good mix suits me well, although I don't like it when other players have expectations of me joining them as soon as I see them online, I want to decide for myself without people being ****hurt.. so I guess I'm kind of a semi-loner :p

7. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

I can enjoy TSW perfectly fine all alone. It's one of those games where you don't really need other people. I don't really see how multiplayer would/could work in TSW, but I'm not against it. Perhaps, once it's actually there, I might enjoy it after all. Wouldn't be one of my priorities though.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Thelonius16

Thelonius16 Well-Known Member

I usually hate multiplayer games because most people have more time to game and better reflexes. So I'm just terrible at most games compared to other people and I lose constantly.

Train games could be very different because none of those factors would come into play at all.

But I have a hard time imagining a really good way to add that kind of feature.

9. maxipolo12

maxipolo12 Well-Known Member

No. I'm just looking for an optimized game.
    But I'm still searching :D

• Like Like x 3
  10. matthewbguilford

matthewbguilford Well-Known Member

It depends on what the game is. I absolutely have no interest in making TSW multiplayer. I see no need for it, and I don’t understand why people would want multiplayer in TSW as I don’t see much you could actually do with multiplayer. Sure you could have a friend sit in the 2nd man seat or something but I feel like there are many multiplayer games out there that you could enjoy with a friend. Personally I would hate to see them spend development time on multiplayer for TSW when they could instead focus on making a better core single player experience.

• Like Like x 8
  11. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

I'd love to see multiplayer, but I don't see it as a necessity. I'd much rather DTG focused on the game itself first, then added multiplayer.

• Like Like x 4
  12. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Multiplayer is not something I would want for myself. I have a hard time imagining how it would work in a simulation game. Does anyone know of a simulator where it has been implemented successfully?

13. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

Run 8 Train Simulator

14. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

MSFS2020, and Run 8 as Callum said. For flight simulation you might want to take a look at VATSIM. It would be really nice to have something like that in TSW2. Players setting up the paths and schedules, instead of AI.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  15. ghall59

ghall59 Active Member

No interest personally, but each to their own, if people like it that's fine too.

16. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

Another one not interested in multiplayer as I think it’s a waste of the devs time.
    Driving is mostly solitary.
    If I wanted multiplayer I’d choose another game.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Well, I guess in a kind of free roam experience, multiplayer could be fun. Especially on routes like West Somerset Railway, where there's no need for a lot of trains to be operational.

Although driving is best done alone, things like shunting could be a thing for multiplayer.

18. Nick_Brad

Nick_Brad Member

I'd like multiplayer for freight operations, I hate using the (admittedly poor thanks to the lack of labels,) map to set routes up ahead, when I could have a secondman or even be that secondman, setting the points, coupling/uncoupling the wagons, or any other tasks that the driver would not typically be expected to do themselves.
    I don't envision servers full of people trying to run entire railroads/routes together, a player hosted server with maybe 6 people at most to run passenger routes together would be sufficient in my view.

• Like Like x 2
  19. FeralKitty

FeralKitty Well-Known Member

I'd hope DTG would focus on single-player scenario fixes, as well as new routes.

But I can't really envision how TSW could smoothly transition to multiplayer due to its present dispatcher/signaler. Imagine a SPAD affecting the whole session, or having to wait at a red because a player train hasn't cleared a block.

Now if we had human dispatching that would handle more complex situations, that would be interesting (and challenging for the dispatcher).

• Like Like x 5
  20. Alexandra

Alexandra Active Member

I'd like to see the team focus a bit more on clear instructions and documentation. I believe we'd expand the hobby considerably if more of the processes and procedures were clearly spelled out for new people. Just a thought.

• Like Like x 3
  21. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

Don’t want multiplayer myself. Playing TSW is something I do to escape from people!

Fine if there is a huge demand, but personally don’t feel it’s something I want.

• Like Like x 1
  22. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

As long as I don't have to interact with other players I tolerate then most of the time I would say ;-)
    Always depends on how much they add or remove from the imersion.

• Like Like x 1
  23. DTG Protagonist

DTG Protagonist Has left the building Staff Member

It depends entirely on what "multiplayer" means.
    It could relate to anything from multiple trains in a single environment, multiple different jobs operating a single line, yard or station, asynchronous multiplayer where you only see the effect of other players not the players themselves, meta-based multiplayer where your performance and that of others is combined or compared...

There are numerous ways multiplayer could be designed, from competitive to collaborative.

• Like Like x 3
  24. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

That is an interesting analysis from a theoretical point of view. In practice, when you say "multiplayer" most people think about many drivers doing their services in the same session / server / world. You can extend that by allowing some players to do the "scheduler" work.

• Like Like x 1
  25. mclitke

mclitke Well-Known Member

Personally I would not want to share the route with other players. Friends only at most.
    What I would not mind is people playing as passengers and driving in my train.

And what I really would like would be to share control of the Loco with a friend, they could sit next to or behind me and operate all the buttons like I do.
    Even better if they could hop into the carriages and check passengers ticket or something, gaining a few points for doing so or for fining people without ticket.

26. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

The only comparable multiplayer other than Run8 would be flightsims.
    Has anyone any experience with a virtual airline or suchlike?

My experiences of multiplayer has always been with Rpgs, such as Wow, Guild Wars, Lotro etc..
    And the thought of teenagers loose on the rails makes me shudder.

• Like Like x 1
  27. matthewbguilford

matthewbguilford Well-Known Member

I think we can all agree that multiplayer isn’t as important to us as improving the single player experience first.

• Like Like x 10
  28. CC Johnson

CC Johnson Active Member

100% agree.

• Like Like x 2
  29. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

Having a friend drive your train might not be that difficult to do. Steam has some feature called Remote Play Together, but DTG needs to turn it on. Be advised this is letting them control your driver in your session, not adding a second driver.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
  30. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

IMHO they would need to improve the current single player "scheduler" or "dispatcher" as a prerequisite before they could even start to think about adding multiplayer.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
  31. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

Personally it doesn't interest me, train simming is my time to escape from the real world and I am happy to do it alone. However I understand others want it.

However I would like to see more variety of content including steam engines and bugs fixes and maybe other features implemented before DTG look at multiplayer.

32. Gustavo - The RailWorker

To Drive a train and have socialization implemented it's complicated not only for me but I think for most players.
    So a talk on the main menu similar to the messenger is more than enough.

Does anyone agree?

33. breblimator

breblimator Guest

In spring and summer - group games.
    In autumn and winter - I play by myself.

34. BigMountain555

BigMountain555 Well-Known Member

No interest whatsoever. For me, I don't see the allure. I've used services that started adding all sorts of social media functions to it. It ruined the experience for me. I've never been a multiplayer guy. I remember when I was younger, my friend was really good at NHL until he went online. I figured online players are just a bit too hardcore and takes away from the fun aspect of some games.

• Like Like x 5
  35. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

In Dutch trams and buses there always is a sign that says: "Don't talk with the driver" Driving a train requires focus, so please no social distractions. Useless.

• Like Like x 3
  36. breblimator

breblimator Guest

:D :D :D