Fix The Map Mileage

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Trainmania100, Aug 26, 2020.

1. Trainmania100

Trainmania100 Well-Known Member

I'm climbing along the sandpatch grade, doing 20 mph

When I left Cumbernauld, the mileage said 16 miles to sandpatch

I've been driving for 45 mins at 20 jsh, now the map went to 13 miles and now it's gone back up to 14 miles

It's clear that the map doesnt go by track distance, but rather point to point without taking into consideration the curves etc in track

Please make it use track distance and not a straight line between two points

• Like Like x 5
  2. JGRudnick

JGRudnick Well-Known Member

Yes, the distance is straight line distance. I agree, please change it to track miles when sitting in a locomotive cab!

3. wargame99

wargame99 New Member

I always found that annoying as well.

4. TheShotte

TheShotte Well-Known Member

This has been discussed in one of the live streams. Unfortunately they said that it would be too taxing on the system to calculate left track distance to objective marker, so they're leaving it as is.

• Like Like x 1
  5. CC Johnson

CC Johnson Active Member

That. While annoying, it's not worth it.

6. Rush

Rush Member

I saw this stream where they discussed this, but I don’t really buy it. I don’t get how that could be the case when the game is already tracking the track distance as proof in the end of service screen when it tells you the total distance driven. If it can tell you this at the end then it’s clearly calculating it already in the background while you’re playing.

7. StratPlayer62

StratPlayer62 Well-Known Member

I wonder if it would be possible to incorporate into the HUD a display of your current mile marker location. Mile markers are a VERY important part of railroading, at least it is here in the United States, they are usually posted every .25 mile along the line. I think this would be a useful tool in learning the route as well. Then your destination could be listed at mile maker XXX.x and if you know you are at mile marker XXX.x, then you can easily know how many mile you have to go. This is the way it works in the real world.

Or just put some mile marker signs along the route that we could actually see from the cab, this would be even more realistic.

Of course the rest of the world would be in KM, but I don't know how much the marker system is used in other countries.

• Like Like x 1
  8. TheShotte

Because those are 2 entirely different things? Tracking the distance the locomotive moves is not the same thing as calculating distance left to a specific marker? Especially since you are moving and that distance needs updating pretty much like what, 10 times a second? Unless you want a marker that goes from "200 yards left" to "5 yards left" (example).

• Like Like x 1
  9. LucasLCC

LucasLCC Well-Known Member

How can they manage to calculate via track distance on Train Simulator (and pretty much every sim I've ever played), but it's too taxing for Train Sim World...

• Like Like x 2
  10. TheShotte

Different engine? Game engines are not created equal, each one has it's little quirks, negatives and positives. Also, no one said it's impossible. It just would be too taxing on system performance, which would be better utilized elsewhere.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  11. LucasLCC

I'd be seriously worried if the Unreal Engine could not handle a simple mathematical calculation such as this. Especially when this is a calculation that can easily run every 25 meters until you're less than 1km from a location.

Other games have managed (racing games can do road distance, which is exactly the same principle) to use the Unreal Engine to calculate distance via a track.

• Like Like x 1
  12. krustynuggets

krustynuggets Well-Known Member

Me personally can't see why people are making such a fuss about, the way things work in game seem pretty solid at doing the job it needs to, most probably only one of the few with this view though lol.

13. LucasLCC

So you're saying a distance that increases as you get closer to the location (it actually does this on RSN), is doing a solid job?

14. krustynuggets

krustynuggets Well-Known Member

Yeah i am because you don't constantly look at the mileage when you are driving, the bit you want to be accurate is accurate when coming into the station or stopping spot counting down the final distance, that's where you need it more and its working perfectly acceptable.

• Like Like x 2