Sand Patch - Y106 Refuel

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Nick_Brad, Aug 31, 2020.

1. Nick_Brad

Nick_Brad Member

Hi guys, I was curious as to whether anyone else has done this service, (it's a GP38 turn,) whereby you have to drive down Cumberland Yard and reverse up to refuel the loco, then set it out for a later job. Only thing is, the service doesn't actually tell you to refuel the loco, as can be seen in my video,
    I did submit a ticket about the lack of actual refuelling instructions in the service, only to get a weird response which did nothing to answer my query. Is it just me, or should it tell you to refuel at least one loco on a serve titled "Refuel".

2. Nick_Brad

Nick_Brad Member

My support ticket and their reply, in case anyone was curious;
    "I decided to try a service on the Sand Patch grade using the GP38-2 loco and selected the Y106 refuel service as it was relatively short and would give me a quick taste of the new version of Sand Patch grade, compared to TSW Heavy Haul.
    However, upon reaching the refuelling depot, there are no instructions to actually refuel the loco or even wait to simulate another worker refuelling. I was able to dismount and carry out the task myself before returning the train as instructed, however as the service is currently written, it is a simple back and forth drive along the yard, instead of simulating a refuelling operation as the service name suggests. I hope this can be patched to correctly carry out the operation in full.

Yours

Nicholas Bradshaw"
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Hello Nicholas,

Thank you for contacting us regarding services in Train Sim World 2.

The services are more advanced and expect the player to have completed the relevant training scenarios beforehand. However, they are open so that the more knowledgeable player can play them straight away.

Kind Regards,

Chris Medlock
    Customer Support Advisor
    Dovetail Games Customer Support"

3. Nick_Brad

Nick_Brad Member

Oh, I learned how to refuel during that tutorial in TSW1, that isn't my issue, my problem is that as soon as you arrive at the refuelling point and stop, the service/scenario tells you to reverse again, back where you came from. No prompt to wait whilst refuelling takes place, or even a simple instruction like "go refuel the blasted thing and be quick about it," just a straight "thanks for driving the train all the way over here for nothing, now bugger off back to where you came from".

• Like Like x 1
  4. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

Ah OK. You just wanted to report that it would be nice to have an instruction that tells you "refuel the loco".
    Definitely it would be an improvement.

5. Nick_Brad

Nick_Brad Member

Exactly, yeah. It seems a bit silly if the title of the service is refuel, but you're not expected to actually refuel the loco, (I did anyway as can be seen in the video, I must say, they definitely improved the handling of the nozzle at some point).

6. LucasLCC

LucasLCC Well-Known Member

It sounds like they've not properly read your ticket. I'd probably reply and ask them to review what you've said.

• Like Like x 1
  7. rat7_mobile

rat7_mobile Well-Known Member

When I did the scenario in the Journey, that is exactly what happened, I did get out of the locomotive, I just went back where I came from and completed the scenario

8. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

My guess is they can't get the AI-version of this service to do the refuelling task, so it can't be in the player version either. Scenarios are scripted so that restriction doesn't apply in those cases.

There was a similar issue with services on the Oakville Subdivision route where you're supposed to fill the tank cars. The instructions just say, "wait until 13:25", or whatever, and you can fill the tank cars if you want but it doesn't really matter lol.

• Like Like x 1
  9. rat7_mobile

rat7_mobile Well-Known Member

At least in the Oakville scenarios, it is understood between the lines that someone is filling the tanker wagon and after the waiting period the tanker wagon

• Like Like x 1
  10. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

Yeah it's a little more convincing in that case lol

11. Rush

Rush Member

Yeah I did think that was weird especially after they teach you how to refuel before any refueling service (At least in Journey mode). I get what they’re saying about less experienced players not knowing how to refuel if they chose that service before doing the tutorial, but c’mon, it’s not that difficult and if an objective marker appears throughout the process I’m sure they’d figure it out without any issues.
    This is what I thought of as well when I first started reading this thread lol

12. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

At this point in time it's not possible to issue a refuel instruction in service mode unfortunately, but I equally felt that NOT having the additional operation of a refuel somewhere in the yard switcher's day would be missed as well. So I went with a compromise - call it refuel, drop you off at the refueling point and hope players would figure it out :)

• Helpful Helpful x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

I think that making a "Wait" instruction where you (devs) can add some text like "refuel the loco" or "fill the tankers" would be good enough for this case, and probably many more in the future. Probably worth to spend the time to implement it.

• Like Like x 4
  14. TheShotte

TheShotte Well-Known Member

Hmmm I distinctively remember playing the actual Scenario (not Service) where the instructions were there for refilling the tank cars and had you do each of them and then pull the train back and do another 4 (IIRC). It's weird they would remove/not include these same instructions in the services.

Same goes for refueling, I was surprised when the actual prompt didn't show up with the steps for refueling the way it did in the "Clear Cut" scenario. They could've literally copied the steps over. This is just poor development.

15. DTG Matt

Not really.

Scenarios are custom scripted and have full Blueprint power at their disposal to do anything. The tasks will never be executed by an AI train and thus anything goes.

Service mode MUST be executable by an AI train because in most cases that's how it will work. Therefore, service mode simply does not have access to any blueprint scripting - there's literally nowhere to copy those instructions to from the scenario, because if it could, the AI wouldn't be able to run it and it would all break.

There is no "refuel" instruction within the timetable setup, it's "manufactured" in blueprint for a scenario and thus can't be put into a service timetable.

For loading the tank cars on Oakville the same thing applies - while there is a "load" instruction same as for coal etc that AI trains can use, it doesn't currently work with the much more involved loading process on the Oakville tank loaders, and rather than dumb them down until it worked it was left to be a more interesting and manual process and meanwhile we've got a task to make them work with AI trains.

Hope this explains it.
    Matt.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. LucasLCC

LucasLCC Well-Known Member

Hi TrainSim-Matt

Why can't the AI simply skip instructions? Is it not possible to just tell the AI "you don't need to do this"?

17. TheShotte

TheShotte Well-Known Member

Yeah this or have AI substitute function, like wait 5 minutes (as to not break the timing). Also seeing your answer, I remember you telling me this already in a live stream, but very vaguely and I don't even remember the context.

18. DTG Matt

Skip and Substitute are not options in the system at the moment no.

19. Rush

Rush Member

With this being the case and these kind of situations being left open for the player to decide if they want to actually load something or not; can something be done then about the ‘give up service’ that pops up which is also currently being discussed in another recent thread in the forum. It’d be nice if it was just an option to select somewhere as opposed to automatically being asked at a certain time. Sometimes I want to do the loading of stuff, but don’t want to deal with it asking me to give up the service so I just wait instead. Reason being there’s been times like the Oakville service where you can load 10 tank cars, which I was trying to do, but the pop up appeared right as I interacted with the loading device (I’m on console so I pressed ‘A’) and it gave up the service. It’s quite annoying.

20. Matto140

Matto140 Well-Known Member

DTG know about this, so I hope they find efficient way how to make this features usable in service mode by player, while AI bypass it.