Horn's On The Csx Units

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by BNSF650, Sep 27, 2017.

1. BNSF650

BNSF650 Member

DTG Could you all please fix the horns on these CSX Units. They are off so bad and also the bells. This is a big issue could you all please get the right sounds.

• Like Like x 1
  2. pschlik

pschlik Well-Known Member

Speaking of bells, the AC4400CW bell is waaaay too fast. When the animation was "fixed" they just sped up the sound instead of slowing down the animation. Seems like a very counter intuitive way to "solve" the issue and it just made it inaccurate anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  3. rwaday

rwaday Well-Known Member

I agree compared to actual recordings the horns leave a lot to be desired. Should be able to quill and have reverberation.

• Like Like x 1
  4. PlatChap

PlatChap Well-Known Member

A revisit to the horn and bell audio would be very welcomed. To add to the conversation, if its possible I would even like to see some variation in horns eg. K3HA / K5LA / K5LAR24 and maybe even a Leslie S3L for the GP-38's and SD-40's.

5. Alaskan Jack

Alaskan Jack Active Member

I completely agree with the above need to get these engines sound like they should horns are pathetic

• Like Like x 2
  6. BNSF650

BNSF650 Member

Yes it would. Would be nice to see what they can do with all of this. I just hope that this don't get pushed back behind some stuff. This is a must fix for this sim.

• Like Like x 1
  7. pschlik

Well, after looking around, the repeated response to this was always "CSX told us all of these use the same horn"/"that horn is a standard CSX horn" and any railfan at all can tell you that is totally inaccurate. There might be a few of these locos all with the same horn...but that is certainly not the rule, more like the exception. Which horn is that stock horn supposed to sound like anyway?

• Like Like x 1
  8. rwaday

rwaday Well-Known Member

Even if it was the same horn there is no character. No quill no reverberation or echo or overtones.
    Here is one to listen to:

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
  9. PlatChap

PlatChap Well-Known Member

From what I could find it looks like the majority of GE locomotives ordered by CSX are ordered with a K5LA horn which is pretty standard equipment. Nathan does make variations and I am certain there is CSX equipment out there sporting all types of different horns.

10. BNSF650

BNSF650 Member

Yea the game is not that much fun with these sounds that are not even close to the real thing.

11. pschlik

We could go on about other sounds too...Why do GEs always sound so inaccurate? EMDs are pretty fine but that AC44, yuck!

• Like Like x 1
  12. BNSF650

BNSF650 Member

@ DTG Still no update on these sounds. Why not? These sounds on these locomotives are not right. Please fix.

13. Corvan

Corvan Well-Known Member

DTG have stated, elsewhere, that they're waiting for a update to the Unreal 4 Engine in order to make audio improvements. It sounds like Unreal are working on something specific for audio.

14. pschlik

When horns are brought up, DTG usually goes off to say that CSX told them that they use the same horns on all the units, so the way it is happens to be OK as far as DTG is concerned. That's nothing to do with UE4.

15. Corvan

Corvan Well-Known Member

No but the lack of depth and reverb with the horns may very well be. It that is fixed it would go a long way to making the horns feel more real. Throw in an algorithm to add a little variance to the horn each time it is used as well.

When I watch vids of American locos the horns definitely don't have the exact same sound each time.

As for CSX though; what can DTG do exactly? They could call shenanigans on CSX over the horn issue, sure, but what then? CSX aren't going to organize sound recordings for them.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  16. pschlik

Well, they did get the sounds from someone else. No clue if whoever that was ever got more than one horn.

17. Corvan

Corvan Well-Known Member

My assumption is that that either CSX provided that sound and assured them it was prototypical across their fleet or that when DTG were doing their research they were brought to a CSX loco and told the same.

I don't know how DTG operate when planning routes and locomotives; do they do on-site research and sound recordings?

18. rwaday

rwaday Well-Known Member

Unfortunately ALL of DTGs audio leaves a lot to be desired both in TSW and in TS2018. They have been approached by some of the best 3rd party creators in the business yet they keep it in house.

• Like Like x 1