Other Hud Markings

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Stephen Crofts, Sep 1, 2020.

1. Stephen Crofts

Stephen Crofts Well-Known Member

I’m not certain this is the right forum for this as it’s not a play-breaking issue, but I couldn’t figure where this topic would best sit. Perhaps a moderator would be so kind as to move the thread if so.

I’m struggling with the speed marker divisions on the hud. It would be really helpful if the division markers on the outside edge were set at meaningful values. I often use the scale when preparing to slow down for a speed limit and consider how much brake pressure to apply and when.
    The current scale is rather arbitrary, with markings at 37.5mph for example, that really is a little hard to make good use of.

• Like Like x 4
  2. ashleigh.turner.gaming

ashleigh.turner.gaming New Member

I completely agree. Actually I would make the suggestion that the HUD speedo should be a copy of the train's speedo. This should be for both the range on the speedo (i.e. the maximum speed) and the labelled increments

• Like Like x 1
  3. fabristunt

fabristunt Well-Known Member

Completely agree on this one too. The preserved collection routes and SPG still heve it in increments of 10, it's just the new ones that use 7.5 increments.

4. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I think the decisions on where the scale divisions go are being made based on their artistic value rather than their technical usefulness.

*I tried to put this in a way that wasn’t critical of the people doing the artwork but it didn’t really work, so I might as well say what I meant...

Please can we have somebody technically minded dictating what the scale divisions are rather than someone deciding what looks nice. It is after all a speedometer, a technical instrument, to be read by engineers, where precision and usefulness are the most important things.

5. ashleigh.turner.gaming

ashleigh.turner.gaming New Member

Exactly. Take for example driving the Class 377 on East Coastway. The train cab's speedometer has minor ticks of 5mph, major ticks every 10mph, and labelled ticks every 20mph. The maximum tick is 120mph. Meanwhile, the TSW2 HUD graphic for the Class 377 has major ticks every 12.5mph and a labelled tick every 25mph. The maximum tick on the HUD is 125mph.

I agree the HUD would seem to have been made from an artistic viewpoint, but I don't understand why that means these two speedometers are to look different. For the HUD, "artistic" and "technical" should not be mutually exclusive. For the Class 377, it also means that 70mph (the most common speed on ECW) is hovering in no-mans-land on the HUD due to not being a multiple of 12.5/25.

In my opinion the HUD should be identical to the cab speedometer (for all trains).

• Like Like x 3