Has Anyone Seen A Noticeable Increase In Fps On Console?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by MetrolinkF125#916, Sep 1, 2020.

Tags:
  1. MetrolinkF125#916

MetrolinkF125#916 Well-Known Member

When I first tried out TSW 2, I went to the Bakerloo line after a little fun on sand patch and Köln-Aachen. When doing the Bakerloo line introduction, I looked around a station and, BANG! Immediate 60FPS smooooooth movement! I was amazed at that, I thought TSW on Xbox One S wouldn’t handle such a frame rate! That was the first time I’ve seen this FPS, and before TSW 2 the highest I ever got was around 40-50fps. So this leads me to the question, has anyone else also noticed this on console? Where the frames go up to 60fps and u see very smooth movement when looking around? Has anyone seen this during gameplay (driving, camera mode, etc.)? I’m trying to see if I’m not the only one here with such a dramatic increase in TSW FPS.

• Like Like x 1
  2. bart2day

bart2day Well-Known Member

I agree that walking around station is very smooth in TSW2 and I also get 60fps sometimes. But driving is often worse than TSW2020 and there are so many stutters driving the ICE on Koln-Aachen which almost ruin it for me. There are also regular stutters on the Bakerloo. Its so frustrating.

• Like Like x 2
  3. 4-COR

4-COR Well-Known Member

I get a worse FPS on the new routes than I do on the preserved ones. I'll only get about 10fps if I'm running a train that's longer than 40 wagons on SPG.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

I have found TSW2 to be smoother then it's predecessor. But like you I have also experienced the stutters on the Bakerloo line some worse than others. At one point one was so bad I though the game was going to crash on me. Agreed it is very frustrating when it happens.

• Like Like x 2
  5. MetrolinkF125#916

Hmm, interesting. So some ppl do get a noticeably higher frame rate on console when looking around, but when driving, the game stutters so bad it looks as if to crash? Dang, I can say sand patch for me does lag a little when I’m in camera mode while driving a long freight train, and my console shuts off completely when switching back and forth a few times from the rear to the front of the train in camera mode! I end up restarting everything, but I have heard others say that the 1S can’t handle sand patch that well, so maybe that explains some lag with other routes (high speeds, long heavy freight trains with adhesion to look after, a busy timetable to process could be factors affecting performance)? I guess we’ll need pro or X consoles to handle it better as they have better processors, or maybe a PS5 or Xbox series x when they come out.

• Like Like x 1
  6. MetrolinkF125#916

Yes it is! But may I ask what console ur on? I haven’t heard many reports of players experiencing stuttering on the ICE, or maybe they haven’t experienced it yet.

7. MetrolinkF125#916

I agree, although maybe not such a low FPS, the console does seem to struggle when playing the route huh? Low FPS, lag, stuttering, even full game crashes and console shut downs have been experienced! I guess it’s maybe part of performance on consoles? I mean the more budget ones aren’t as powerful as the majority of gaming PCs.

• Like Like x 1
  8. bart2day

I'm on a PS4 slim. Are you on a PS4 pro/Xbox one X? The stutters on Bakerloo are bearable because of the slow speed on the line but driving the ICE is so love-hate for me. Love the sense of speed, hate the constant stutters.

• Like Like x 3
  9. MetrolinkF125#916

I’m on an Xbox One S, and yes it does get very annoying when the game stutters during gameplay, it ruins the experience, especially on sand patch.

• Like Like x 1
  10. 4-COR

4-COR Well-Known Member

It's odd, I can play the route at a fine FPS until I drive a train that longer than 40 wagons long, where it drops dramatically.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Rush

Rush Member

That’s crazy! I’m on a One X and in Cumberland Yard with 50 cars I’ll get around 30 fps with an occasional dip to around 24, but out on the main line I’ll be at around 50-60 fps. Operating the ICE I’ll get around 30-40 fps, but that one I’ll get an occasional stutter here and there (not very often though)

• Like Like x 1
  12. 4-COR

4-COR Well-Known Member

I'm on a standard PS4, so lower performance is to be expected I guess. Somehow, I still manage to get the same FPS as you though when driving the ICE at 250kmh!

• Like Like x 2
  13. Rush

Rush Member

Yeah I mean I definitely will get higher than that in open stretches of track, but whenever I’m passing another train (which happens a lot at those speeds lol) or passing through stations, that’s usually what it’s around.

• Like Like x 1
  14. bart2day

This is representative of what I’m getting at 250kmph on my PS4 slim. It’s not great in my opinion:

Anybody else’s smoother than this?

• Like Like x 1
  15. pinxtonpaws

pinxtonpaws Guest

How are you checking FPS counts on Xbox?

• Like Like x 1
  16. krustynuggets

krustynuggets Well-Known Member

Plug in a usb keyboard to your xbox and press F3, brings up FPS count in the top right of your screen.

• Like Like x 4
  17. Rush

Rush Member

^ yeah what he said lol

• Like Like x 2
  18. MetrolinkF125#916

I’m getting about the same frame rate as you, but I think it is still smooth at that FPS, which was around 40?

19. MetrolinkF125#916

Yea, but have u experience ur console shutting off completely in game, particularly when switching from the front and rear of the train in camera mode? I mean mine did experience this, and I ran the full game at about a stable 25 FPS!

• Like Like x 1
  20. MetrolinkF125#916

It’s odd that some routes can run at higher frame rates than others, but I guess it depends on the content. The Bakerloo line has the highest FPS imo, running at about 45-60fps, which the route is very short and the trains aren’t that long. ICE is right in the middle, with a stable 40 or so FPS, and high speeds may be to blame for stuttering and FPS drops. Finally SPG, running at a smooth frame rate of less than 30 FPS while supporting a complex service timetable and very long trains all while running full adhesion and weighted wagon physics! Now this goes for some players as not everyone owns the high end consoles, so some players may not even experience any of this at all, and run the routes at a stable 60fps without lag. Or, does anyone own the more budget consoles and haven’t experience this at all?

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  21. ArmaElite

ArmaElite New Member

For me personally TSW 2020 runs far better than TSW2 when I'm playing on TSW2 I got a hell of a lot of stuttering and lag

• Like Like x 3
  22. MetrolinkF125#916

Do u only see this on certain routes or on all routes/trains?

23. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

I am on PC and I am noticing a lot more lagging and stuttering with TSW2 rather then TSW2020.

• Like Like x 2
  24. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

Whilst Im on console it is the base PS4. I would say console performance is improved over TSW20. ECW in TSW2 runs smoother than TSW20 although it was reasonably smooth anyway. Issue is with something like the Koln-Aachen or Sandpatch is that TSW2 has upped the bar, ie take the ICE 3, a complex unit running multiple systems with unique coaches along the train moving through the scenery at 250kph. Sandpatch has more dense scenery and the longest trains that we've seen on console I think it runs well, no real issues at all in my experience.

• Like Like x 1
  25. MetrolinkF125#916

Me too, I also noticed an increase in performance and FPS in TSW 2 compared to TSW 2020, the game runs smoother and there’s not much lag, there is a little but sometimes not very noticeable.

26. Teza

Teza Member

This can all be improved if you use an external hard drive 7,200 RPM drive will do a better job
    and move all your games off the internal drive, if you can get hold of a solid state drive, even better

i have 7,200 RPM drive, with no games on internal drive and all games load faster
    and as this game reads from the drive as you run the train, the data will load in faster if the game wants more map to load in...
    my console is one x

• Like Like x 1
  27. Wooki74

Wooki74 Active Member

I have solid state external 540 mbps read speed with nothing else on it, load times greatly improved but fps not much different. The ice 3 still stutters a lot with the dashboard reflection flickering on the windscreen I know it's meant to be realistic but every time it flickers or flashes it does drop frames . I'm on one x

• Like Like x 2
  28. Teza

Teza Member

Yes, and this is why iv said on another thread that the one x could do with more setting for graphics
    not just the 4k and hd options, it could do with some pc graphics options like turn off shadows, (trees for one)
    or a slider for shadows to tone them down so we cant see them like this, popping in 30 yards in front of you
    and other non essential graphics, game would run smoother.

• Like Like x 2