Route Extension Proposals: Great Western Express

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Edward S (MilPop14), Sep 26, 2017.

1. Edward S (MilPop14)

Edward S (MilPop14) Active Member

I propose that several of the small branch lines of of the existing Great Western Express route are built. Why? They won't take very long to make with just a few stops off the main line however could add quite a lot of variety to services on the route and also keep the route fresh whilst we wait for even more new routes.

Greenford Branch
    upload_2017-9-25_19-43-44.png

Adding in the Greenford branch would add 4 new stations to the route splitting off after West Ealing. This would mean the existing implemented Paddington - Greenford service mode scenarios could be driven in their entirety and not just the short section on the Great Western Mainline which can be done in other services.

Heathrow Branch
    upload_2017-9-25_19-48-40.png

The Heathrow branch would probably be the most popular extension to the route as it would enable the addition of Heathrow Express & Heathrow Connect (soon to become Crossrail) services to be added onto the route adding more rolling stock variety with Class 360's, Class 332's and eventually Class 345.

Winsor & Eton Central Branch
    upload_2017-9-25_19-51-24.png

The smallest branch line off of the existing route adding just one more station however still adding extra service variety with shuttles between Windsor & Slough and even some through services in the peaks. You may think buying one station extra would be silly but for a small price (maybe £0.99) this could be a worthwhile extension to the route or it could alternatively be bundled in with another branch line.

Marlow Branch
    upload_2017-9-25_19-54-35.png

Nicknamed 'The Marlow Donkey' because of a steam train previously operating exclusively on this small branch line the Marlow branch branching off at Maidenhead would add a shuttle service to the route and up until recently occasional through services to Paddington. This branch is also interesting in the fact that trains have to reverse at Bourne End if they're continuing onwards to Marlow.

The Henley-on-Thames Branch
    upload_2017-9-25_19-57-32.png

The Henley Branch is another branch line this time splitting off shortly after Twyford. Again this branch usually runs as a shuttle between Twyford and Henley with some peak hour through workings to Paddington.

This concludes my route extension proposals and I hope it is considered by Dovetail Games in the future and that others would be interested in this like me particularly in the short term to keep content fresh awaiting new routes to be added. Thank you for reading and if you have any feedback or questions please don't hesitate to leave them below.

• Like Like x 100
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  2. Corvan

Corvan Well-Known Member

Yes, I want this. This would add a lot of variety to GWE.

DTG, you should seriously consider this.

• Like Like x 22
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. Kentora

Kentora Member

Agreed with you, I suggested it in another post :
    Dlc Extensions

- with the add of the class 165/1 for the thames branches
    - with GWR class 387/1 Electrostar on the main line electrified part between Paddington and Hayes & Harlington with completing the electrified part (like in Paddington station)
    - The 2 freight branch lines (Brentford branch line + Staines and West Drayton Railway) with other engine and freight car type (why not a class 08 and 67) and may be other freight compagnies

• Like Like x 6
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. Edward S (MilPop14)

Ah I must've overlooked it as it's in the feature proposals rather than route proposals :)

5. Nox

Nox Member

Completely agree, however I'd prefer it all as one DLC pack (rather than the suggested paying for each branch separately). I'd happily pay for one DLC with all those extensions, a GWE Extras, as it were. I'd love to see this, DTG please add it to your list of considerations!

• Helpful Helpful x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Corvan

Corvan Well-Known Member

GWE: Branchlines.

As I said, I'd really enjoy this.

• Like Like x 5
    • Helpful Helpful x 5
  7. Karl456

Karl456 Member

An extension of the GWR would really be a good DLC. It would enable a lot of various smaller passenger services and freight services along the branch routes, giving the possibility to create dozens of new scenarios (a scenario editor would be very useful...;)). Instead of just driving between London and Reading as we usually do now, sometimes as a passenger and sometimes as a freight service, we could complete varied services between these smaller branch stations.
    I'm really looking forward to see an extension of the GWR coming.

• Like Like x 5
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  8. Keeks

Keeks New Member

Also agreeing on branch lines to be added. I love the GWE DLC, but the route is already feeling a little stale as there is so little variety in destinations. A few small branch lines would be perfect.

• Like Like x 5
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  9. ItsYa165

ItsYa165 Well-Known Member

:D smart thinking!
    You forgot Reading to Newbury, missing a highly popular town for the race course (Newbury Racecourse station), home of Vodafone. I believe your ideas are AMAZING!!!!!!!! These small sparks of railway would create a whole new level of freedom. gg dlc so much that you cant hold in the joy :mad::love:

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  10. 1999Werdna

1999Werdna Member

Going through the other proposals, I think this needs to happen the most. I hope DTG are taking note...

• Like Like x 5
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  11. NAYDOG

NAYDOG Guest

my main issue, if it can even be called that - is the whole "spotting" watching AI idea they have is currently flawed. Obviously over time it will pick up, but the fact I know every train I see right now is GWR (on track and in stations) makes just watching the world go by feel rather plain.

I support this idea, as hopefully it would also aid in adding extra companies such as airport connect etc to be seen.

good suggestion OP.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  12. heyitspopcorn

heyitspopcorn Well-Known Member

I'd definitely love to see GWE extended and fleshed out more before DTG turn their focus toward another route :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  13. Edward S (MilPop14)

I wouldn't say I forgot Reading westwards - I was just focusing on the branches off of the existing Great Western Main Line. This however would also be a nice addition.
    P.S. sorry for the late reply - keep forgetting to check my forum notifications!

14. AlexNL

AlexNL Well-Known Member

Agreed! In my opinion there's lots of work to be done to GWE before it can be considered a "final" release.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  15. TrainSim-Steve

TrainSim-Steve Senior Producer Staff Member

This is actually a very well thought out proposal with serious merit Edward, top marks.

One minor note, we're limited on Licensing for the Heathrow Express branded trains, they declined to work with us. How would you feel if we did those trains as unbranded and, as we wouldn't be able to gain meaningful access, without authentic sounds?

Very interesting proposal though and I've shortlisted this for further evaluation.

Best, Steve

• Like Like x 11
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  16. Corvan

Corvan Well-Known Member

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  17. TrainSim-Steve

Afraid so Corvan :)

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  18. AlexNL

AlexNL Well-Known Member

I would be okay with unbranded trains. Even if you're not allowed to use the company's branding you can still get close, see the 350 of WCML Trent Valley for example.

How about Crossr... Elizabeth Line? As of May 2018, the current Heathrow Connect services between Paddington and Heathrow airport will transfer to TfL Rail (Elizabeth Line) which will be operated with brand-new Bombardier-built Aventra's, Class 345. You have already worked with TfL in the past (for the 378's) so this might be easier than working with Heathrow?

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  19. AlexNL

AlexNL Well-Known Member

Interesting to note about the Greenford branch: in preparation for Crossrail a new platform has been built at West Ealing (platform 5) where all trains from the Greenford branch terminate. In real life there are no more through services to Paddington, except for a single move (to get trains to/from the depot?).

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  20. Corvan

Corvan Well-Known Member

Keep in mind that GWR is set in a particular timeframe when work on Crossrail is only starting. The addition of branch lines would need to be set against the same timeframe to remain consistent.

I don't mind a few unbranded trains as a last resort. Sounds are a bit trickier; everyone is a stickler for proper sounds. As you've done the Class 350 before for TS20xx, you should already have sounds for it which you could use for Heathrow Connect. You could possibly apply those to Heathrow Express if they seem to fit; so to speak.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  21. AlexNL

AlexNL Well-Known Member

That's a good point.

Armstrong Powerhouse have already made good recordings for Greater Anglia's 360, maybe DTG can license those and apply them to a GWR/HC 360?

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  22. Corvan

Corvan Well-Known Member

You know, I was thinking about suggesting Armstrong Powerhouse as a source of sound but I'm not sure how DTG would feel about that.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  23. TrainSim-Steve

Bear in mind that TS20xx sounds are not always suitable for use in TSW in most cases, they're just not detailed enough for what we need but we may be able to compromise in places.

Thanks all for the thoughts though, very interesting all round :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  24. NAYDOG

NAYDOG Guest

unbranded is fine - assuming people will one day get the tools to paint.

sounds are tricky - but Id love to see something different in Paddington, just a case of something not GWR, im not bashing GWR, I love it - but "spotting" is abut plain as currently we know every train is the same, dark green etc.

It might annoy the OCD in me for screenshots having unbranded trains, but thats for us to fix at a later date right? ;)

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  25. pschlik

pschlik Well-Known Member

I'm fine with unbranded. There are always solutions and I think there are some good ideas going around as to make repaints more availble. Fingers crossed for Steam workshop repaints! But I think the extra possibilities added is far worth it despite not having an actual company logo. Something is always better than nothing (But something is not always better than something else, mind you. I still think Heathrow is worth it over other things.)

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  26. NAYDOG

NAYDOG Guest

Longford Express?

or a generic "Airport Connect" in a similar looking scheme?

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  27. Piussi

Piussi Well-Known Member

Still don't get why some companys don't want the free ads that it brings with it.. i mean if all can see there brand in game it can only be a good thing right? Its not like this game destroy there trains.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  28. NAYDOG

NAYDOG Guest

plus they must know skinners will add them in - why fight it haha

F1 teams do the same - fight it only for modders to add them, Ferrari are abit hardline on it but that doesnt stop people, if anything the Assetto Corsa devs stated to carry on.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  29. Corvan

Corvan Well-Known Member

They fight it because there are legal implications arising out of it. There will very likely never be a category on the Steam Workshop for TSW for reskins because that would imply DTG are endorsing copyright infringement, leaving themselves vulnerable to a lawsuit.

It sounds mad but it's the world we live in. Of course third party websites could, and do in the case of TS20xx, host reskins but DTG can't be held liable for the actions of a third party on a third party platform.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  30. MikeForce

MikeForce New Member

I don't think most operating companies see it as free advertising and instead just look at it from how much Dovetail will pay them either upfront or on a royalty basis for the use of their brand.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  31. Piussi

Piussi Well-Known Member

Yes, and i find that simply wrong.. If i go to england i know now how to get from london to reading and with what company :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  32. NAYDOG

NAYDOG Guest

youll still be able to download skins - just a case of making it easy peasy

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  33. pschlik

DTG can always make you agree that by putting something on workshop, it is your responsability to deal with copyright. Have you seen the truck sim workshop? By that logic, SCS software are the biggest supporters of copyright infringement on Steam. Almost nothing there is not using a brand SCS has, and SCS has not been shut down, nor has workshop. Other games do the same thing, so no reason DTG can't.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  34. Benjwri

Benjwri Member

The route could even go that tiny bit further into Didcot, the next stop for many HST’s. This would allow you to be able to actually continue after Reading, and be able to drive more than one stop.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  35. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

GWE already includes several large and largely neglected yard areas. How about extending freight service into them via a series of shunting-related scenarios or services instead of just whizzing through them? The two scenarios already available for the '66 are well done, but I cannot imagine that I'm the only TSW fan who likes shunting operations. Look at it this way: few additional assets (in the form of more freight wagons), lots more activity. What's not to like?

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  36. NAYDOG

NAYDOG Guest

more static hoppers too - like the West World scenario

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  37. NorthRail1

NorthRail1 Well-Known Member

Agreed, there should be more freight scenarios. Also more EWS/DB Cargo locos should be added along with extra wagons to increase variety in freight trains.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  38. Edward S (MilPop14)

Unbranded is better than nothing. As long as it's well made in every other way then I'm happy. Thanks for your kind words regarding my proposal. Much appreciated.

• Like Like x 5
  39. 1999Werdna

1999Werdna Member

Yes, I second that, unbranded is already better than nothing. Plus, when creator tools arrive, users will be able to create their own liveries (I assume?). So, I'd love to see Heathrow Express, unbranded or not!

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  40. RichGWR22

RichGWR22 Member

The route could be extended to Oxford to allow you to take the turbo's on a longer/Limited stopping services and the hst's on the Hereford and Worcester express services. Also providing more freight workings to Hinksey yard.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  41. Nox

Nox Member

I want this DLC so bad, I wish I could upvote it twice!

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  42. Aquantis

Aquantis Active Member

As mentioned above, since Heathrow Express/Connect is going to be under Crossrail/TfL soon (which you guys supposedly have an agreement with), would it be a better idea to jump ahead a year and just have the class 345's with Elizabeth Line branding? It would also leave this route open to expansion Eastward into London, which would be really interesting to see.

Regarding sounds however, what's DTG's relationship with Siemens/CAF? Assuming they have units similar to the class 332 undergoing construction/testing, wouldn't it be possible to go to them for the sounds? Likewise for Bombardier and the 345's

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  43. NorthRail1

This wouldn't work as Great Western Express is set in 2015 when the Crossrail route was still under construction

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  44. Aquantis

Aquantis Active Member

I get that that's when the current release is set, but IIRC, Dovetail said it's just set there because that's when they started the route and all the research was done, implying that they could update it to another year, say 2018, if wanted

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  45. pschlik

Yeah I think if DTG were to push that “no we won’t do that because the route is in 2015” would be a really bad excuse. That’s the kind of excuse that makes you want to say “are you really euphimizing that you just don’t want to do it?” Same goes for the hump yard in Cumberland, except that’s the other way around; the route is set a few years in the past, but DTG would still use the excuse that CSX has stopped using that hump yard this year in order to justify not putting it in CSX Heavy Haul.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  46. Benjwri

Benjwri Member

The only problem is it is almost a whole new route. Massive changes have been made. Load of bridges have been pulled down at stations because they were too low, and the whole line would have to be electrified. This then means a class 800 and class 387. Crossrail also isn’t coming to Reading till December 2019

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  47. AyrtonS8

AyrtonS8 Well-Known Member

I would really like to see some branch lines in TSW GWE. It would add a lot more game play into the route and would mean the route isnt just a A to B line. I feel like driving between Paddington and Reading all the time gets boring very quickly as you see the same scenery all the time.
    I would definitely be happy with a extension to the GWE :)

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  48. DANNYBOY2487

DANNYBOY2487 Active Member

The Whole GWR Network would be Great [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  49. NorthRail1

The whole GWR network would take far too long to create and I believe it would be better just to create the branch lines along the current Great Western Express route.

• Like Like x 3
  50. DANNYBOY2487

DANNYBOY2487 Active Member

not if they do it in parts like the next one will be those branches then so on so on i would pay for individual expantions to GWE if they did do it that way

• Like Like x 4